Gearbox Whine - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > Rover 800

Old 09-03-2012, 16:21   #1
Matt824

Car: 600 Ti, 99' 800 Vitesse.
Gearbox Whine

Hey guys, not been on in a while. Have a problem, my gearbox is starting to become very noisy. I've heard that the bearings on the post 96 Vitesse is common. Just wondered how big a job it is and if expensive.
The Vitesse has only done 69K miles. Needs some paint work (well a respray if I can get it done cheap lol) and a few other small bits and bobs done. Just unsure if it's worth spending money on it. It is getting old and don't want to spend much more than the car is worth (which can't be much I know), but do love the car.

Cheers lads
Matt824 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 17:43   #2
Littlebert

Car: 200 Bubble derv; 800 Vitty Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt824 View Post
Just unsure if it's worth spending money on it. It is getting old and don't want to spend much more than the car is worth (which can't be much I know), but do love the car.

Cheers lads
Not a huge job if you're used to weilding spanners .... just awkward if you haven't got access to garage equipment (pit/lift etc).

Drives me mad, this situation ...... Don't think of an 800 at current market value.... just because the market says 800's are only worth a few 100's, that doesn't make them a worse car than a new 10k cramped up frogbox, it makes the market daft!

If you spend 1k on your car to paint it/rebuild gearbox/maybe upgrade brakes, wheels etc. you'll actually then be driving 'round in a 20k+ car, but one that looks way better than most modern alternatives! And what replacement would you get for 1k? Someone else's castoff Fiesta/Astra perhaps?
Littlebert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 18:53   #3
Matt824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebert View Post
Not a huge job if you're used to weilding spanners .... just awkward if you haven't got access to garage equipment (pit/lift etc).

Drives me mad, this situation ...... Don't think of an 800 at current market value.... just because the market says 800's are only worth a few 100's, that doesn't make them a worse car than a new 10k cramped up frogbox, it makes the market daft!

If you spend 1k on your car to paint it/rebuild gearbox/maybe upgrade brakes, wheels etc. you'll actually then be driving 'round in a 20k+ car, but one that looks way better than most modern alternatives! And what replacement would you get for 1k? Someone else's castoff Fiesta/Astra perhaps?
Don't have access to any of above, guess local garage it will be.

Agree on with your thoughts on the Vitesse, think it's a great car. Had a 94 Sport fastback (lux pack fitted) before and loved it too. Actually from memory it felt a quicker and more planted car than the 99 saloon I have just now.
Just didn't want to through money at it, especially when it does need painting. Though the last one only needed a clutch in the 4 years I had it and never let me down.
For the money (450 last year and only 1 owner) you could not get anything with the power, comfort etc, never mind the road presence it has.

Thanks for the info, will post how I get on.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:30   #4
Littlebert

Car: 200 Bubble derv; 800 Vitty Hatch
Cheapest way to do it (if you're not in a position to do it) would almost certainly be to buy a 2nd hand box from a breakers - change the bearings in that, then pay some else to swap the boxes over for you, then flog yours to someone on here who can do the same - start a chain off :-)

Might even be worth fitting a new clutch whilst the box is off - they're going for between 60 - 100 on ebay and the majority of cost in a clutch change is in labour to get the box off!
Littlebert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 14:28   #5
Matt824

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebert View Post
Cheapest way to do it (if you're not in a position to do it) would almost certainly be to buy a 2nd hand box from a breakers - change the bearings in that, then pay some else to swap the boxes over for you, then flog yours to someone on here who can do the same - start a chain off :-)

Might even be worth fitting a new clutch whilst the box is off - they're going for between 60 - 100 on ebay and the majority of cost in a clutch change is in labour to get the box off!
Thanks again mate, will probably go down that route. Think I can get a good 600Ti box, assuming it's the same because of same engine.

One other thing is. Soon I'm probably going to need an auto (due to injury). Always liked the Sterling but have no experience with the V6. Still want an 800 as just like the cars and the coupe looks really good.
Would like to know a bit about them over the Vitesse. Not that bothered about mpg as don't do a lot of mileage. Just the other things, like how it drives and if the V6 is reliable.

Thanks guys your help is always invaluable

Old 17-03-2012, 18:05   #6
henocsr

Car: MG ZS 180
one of the diff bearings on my 1998 vitesse failed last year so i replaced the bearing with the later metal caged one. About 5 months later the diff started clonking very badly when pulling away (suspect this was down to the lack of oil caused when the diff bearing failed pushing the seal out draining the box.....i did about 60miles without any gear oil............didnt know till the next day when i saw oil sprayed up the back of the car!!!!)

As the torsen diff is not avaialbe i brought a 820 sterling box with a normal diff and just fitted it. its much better than i though it would be revs at 3000rpm @ 70 as aposed to the vitesse box which was 2700rpm at the same speed. The wheel spin can be quite fun as well reminds me of my MG Maestro Turbo.

I have used MG Rover mtf 94 (red in colour) in this one which is the correct oil so i am hoping it will last for sometime to come. (oraignal fitted box had engine oil in it then, i filled it with landrover mtf 94 which is yellow............may be this caused the plastic caged bearing to fail???)
henocsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 23-03-2012, 17:17   #7
denis747
Supporter

Car: Rover 620Ti, 12 psi boost.
MGJohn is an expert in PG1 gearboxes, if you could, contact him.
Here is one of his excellent threads http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=459873
denis747 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 23-03-2012, 18:56   #8
Matt824

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747 View Post
MGJohn is an expert in PG1 gearboxes, if you could, contact him.
Here is one of his excellent threads http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=459873

Thanks very much Denis

Old 02-04-2012, 23:27   #9
bry50n

Car: vw passat 2.0 20v sport
also try alpine transmissions in blantyre .was it not you i offerd 4 doors a bonnet front and back bumpers for free
bry50n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 14:47   #10
Matt824

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry50n View Post
also try alpine transmissions in blantyre .was it not you i offerd 4 doors a bonnet front and back bumpers for free
2 offered, but with no space to keep them and anyway would of had to paint from both offers.
I remember one of you posted later, that you hoped I had a crash!!!