Need your knowledge - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 21:24   #1
Adshawley

Car: MG ZT-T
Need your knowledge

After selling my extremely thirsty Mercedes Kompressor I have finally bought a ztt cdti - and I love it. It handles better, feels better and since I've had it ( 1 week) I haven't visited the garage lol. I'm sure I will read the majority of the threads on this forum but until I do I would greatly appreciate your advice. As I was driving along the road this afternoon the glass part of my boot decided to open, I pulled over and closed it and over the next 30 mins or so it opened a couple of times. Later on in the day I tried to open the said window but the solenoid isn't working, Which I'm fine with, it'll give me and my dad something to do on Saturday. Now keep that in your mind for the mo.

The headunit in the car is a kenwood Krc394 (tape & cd changer) which is no good to me as everything I have is mp3, so I decided to change it......now this is where it all becomes a little weird. Long story short and sideways, a few of the wires in the new headunit need to be re-situated and this was discovered when I turned the ignition off to make sure I had the power leads the right way...... the wipers (front and back) began one sweep. I turned the ignition on and the back one began to sweep constantly, using the wiper stalk I turned it on and off.....and then it ceased. Amused I did this a couple of times and then the glass boot opened up by itself.??? Now as I mentioned I'm fully aware the headunits wires are mixed up - I just don't understand how the glass boot opened especially as the button wasn't and still isn't working. Has anyone came across this before.

Incidentally until I get a multi-metre tomorrow I put the original headunit back in and the steering controls aren't working. I'm I right in thinking this has something to do with the little blue diode under the peak? I did put it back where I found it, but I've obviously done something so any advice on this would also be appreciated.
Adshawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 22:03   #2
wuzerk
Supporter

Car: 2003 75 CDT SE Conn.Auto and '57 Minor Convertible
Blue diode

I would imagine that the blue diode means that you have the infrared steering wheel controls. Most of us have the wired type, so you will soon get advice from somebody who knows the infrared system.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2012, 22:55   #3
robdrinkwater
Poacher turned Gamekeeper

Car: MG ZT-T CDTi.
Common problem, your powers are reversed, needs a slight modification to make the ACC power & permanent power round the other way. Hence backfeed is happening and making all sorts happen when the BCU is backfed.

As regards your tailgate glass opening up, that sounds like a short or a chafe to ground somewhere, the button under the wiper must be being bypassed by a short that is causing the solenoid to flip the glass open.

Can't really be anything else TBH,

Regards, Rob.
robdrinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2012, 23:08   #4
Adshawley

Thanks wuzerk, I've just sat and read many threads regarding the diode and I think I must have done something daft. I will take the headunit out and have a look tomorrow.

Adam

Old 04-04-2012, 23:28   #5
Adshawley

Hi rob thanks for the reply fella.

The wires are defo crossed, and as you say yellow and red are more than likely the culprits. I searched the forum but struggled to find out what the colours of the wires on the harness represent. I'll suss it out tomorrow when I get a multi metre. I think it's just been a fluke that the power back feed has made the wipers work which I've took as being linked to the glass opening by itself. Since I sent my initional SOS I've been back outside and had a little look. As i mentioned since I've put the original headunit back in the wipers have ceased sweeping on ignition. Under the rear wiper there is a triangulated-ish shape of plastic that covers the controls of the glass solenoid - its obviously been apart by the previous owner as it has prise marks all the way around. I've had a look inside and to be honest all looks well. The Spring and the bullet are still connected, the wires look all in tact.....i decided the fact it opened with a back feed would say its lacking power, bad connection. Just then the boot squeeked as I put it down. Think the wires are trapped at the top of the door. Every journey we do the boot is up and down for the push chair...... I'll have a look tomorrow.

Cheers again