Jaguar XJ ultimate edition - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > General Motoring Chat > Other Motoring Chat > New Model News

Old 23-04-2012, 08:29   #1
Griffo

Car: '71 MGB GT Weekend Toy, Skoda Fabia vRS Daily Driver
Jaguar XJ ultimate edition

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/262355/
Griffo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-04-2012, 08:39   #2
LeRich
Supporter

Car: MG ZT+ CDTi 135 auto
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Wow. Looks amazing in the back of there. 128k isn't bad value if you're comparing it to Bentleys and Rollers.
LeRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 22:40   #3
charlie22

Car: ZT-T+190 2.5v6, MG6 GT TSE
The news of a supercharged v6 sounds very nice, hope the tech filters down to the the average man's daily drive.
charlie22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13-05-2012, 00:23   #4
ROVER-25X

Car: 25X, 400X, MGF-X6 Rep:■■■■■□□□□□
Wow that looks like a realy nice place to be in the back of that.
ROVER-25X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13-05-2012, 22:26   #5
Griffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie22 View Post
The news of a supercharged v6 sounds very nice, hope the tech filters down to the the average man's daily drive.
you mean the XF?

Old 14-05-2012, 06:50   #6
charlie22

Car: ZT-T+190 2.5v6, MG6 GT TSE
I mean a more average man's car, eg on one of the new MG's that will be coming out over the next few years fingers crossed the repacement for the MG7.
charlie22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-05-2012, 09:34   #7
Griffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie22 View Post
I mean a more average man's car, eg on one of the new MG's that will be coming out over the next few years fingers crossed the repacement for the MG7.
I cant see how a jag engine is likely to end up in an MG

Old 14-05-2012, 12:50   #8
Huff

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
I cant see how a jag engine is likely to end up in an MG
I think he just means he'd like to see the tech filter down to lesser cars. Very few supercharged cars on sale now, everyone has gone turbo.

Ps. Whilst it looks a very nice place to sit, it doesnt change the fact that the XJ is still dog fugly.
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-05-2012, 09:24   #9
Griffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
I think he just means he'd like to see the tech filter down to lesser cars. Very few supercharged cars on sale now, everyone has gone turbo.

Ps. Whilst it looks a very nice place to sit, it doesnt change the fact that the XJ is still dog fugly.
Supercharging isn't exactly new tech, but your right about very few manufacturers going supercharged these days. Turbo charging is cheaper!

Old 15-05-2012, 09:29   #10
Huff

Quote:
Supercharging isn't exactly new tech, but your right about very few manufacturers going supercharged these days. Turbo charging is cheaper!
Your right, supercharging has been around since the very early part of the 20th century.

Mazda had some success a while back with a supercharged diesel but they seem to have abandoned it.

Old 15-05-2012, 09:34   #11
Griffo

Quote:
Your right, supercharging has been around since the very early part of the 20th century.

Mazda had some success a while back with a supercharged diesel but they seem to have abandoned it.
Im not sure i can see anyone going the SC diesel route.
SC petrols give very drivable torque profiles. shame more manufacturers aren't using the technology.

The TFSi engines are an interesting one....

Old 15-05-2012, 10:23   #12
Huff

Quote:
Im not sure i can see anyone going the SC diesel route.
SC petrols give very drivable torque profiles. shame more manufacturers aren't using the technology.

The TFSi engines are an interesting one....
Im intrigued by what Mazda are doing with their new "Skyactiv" technology. Essentially shedding weight and keeping the number of components to an absolute minimum to increase MPG, decrease emissions and boost reliability. All paired with new engines that has an extremely high compression ratio of 14.0:1 which significantly increases thermal efficiency but they have overcome the problem of "knocking" often associated with high compression engines by use of a very clever exhaust system.

What I like about it is they are applying the principles of low weight and minimal moving parts to the whole car, from the chassis to the drivetrain to the engine.

Old 15-05-2012, 15:45   #13
Griffo

Quote:
Im intrigued by what Mazda are doing with their new "Skyactiv" technology. Essentially shedding weight and keeping the number of components to an absolute minimum to increase MPG, decrease emissions and boost reliability. All paired with new engines that has an extremely high compression ratio of 14.0:1 which significantly increases thermal efficiency but they have overcome the problem of "knocking" often associated with high compression engines by use of a very clever exhaust system.

What I like about it is they are applying the principles of low weight and minimal moving parts to the whole car, from the chassis to the drivetrain to the engine.
I like the concept. we'll have to see how the engines turn out.
as for the Skyactiv-drive. sounds like a lot of marketing waffle for tech that is already in the market to me.
Im not sure how they plan to use a conventional AT to beat a like for like DCT on FE.it all depends which box they benchmarked for these stats. I'd be very interested to drive one of the skyaciv-drive cars and see if they really have nailed the NVH.

Old 17-05-2012, 10:22   #14
Steed

Car: Smart Roadster Coupe
Quote:

Hmm... my only worry about Mazda and their shedding weight philosophy is that the whole car starts feeling VERY cheap and fragile. We have a 2011 Mazda 3 185 diesel, and it feels horribly cheap compared to the Fiat Bravo we had before - and the Fiat isn't exactly at the top of the quality league...
Steed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-05-2012, 10:33   #15
LeRich
Supporter

Car: MG ZT+ CDTi 135 auto
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
The new CX-5 is the first of Mazda's SkyActiv cars and according to Auto Express this week its refinement and quality are very good.
LeRich is offline   Reply With Quote