diffuser idea - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ)

Old 23-04-2012, 08:00   #1
David-124

Car: MG ZR and MG TF
diffuser idea

I know this subject has been talked about in the past, and I was browsing a old post and came across the picture of the red MGF with a Suzuki splitter.
My question is though would this style of bumper look good on a TF, the only thing im worried about is that whilst using a F bumper I could lose some of the lines of the TF's as the F bumper is more curvy.

Also I can source a F bumper quiet cheaply as a donor to do any work on etc, any help etc would be appreciated
Dave

David-124 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-04-2012, 08:42   #2
kedunga

Car: MGTF160
For an F bumper there are lots of options, the 160 splitter looks nice, and i also like the seat leon splitter which i have on my TF
kedunga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2012, 10:07   #3
TipperMG

Car: 04 TF Steppie and 'Project' 03 TF160 Sprint 'still in bits!' BMW E91 320D
Interesting number plate, which country is that then?
TipperMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2012, 10:08   #4
Kameleon
Duuuuuuurrrty Dog

Car: MG TF 160 - Pearl Black
Send a message via MSN to Kameleon
Did you miss the picture?! :P

The OP is on about the rear bumper, one which i actually really like. Perhaps someone who's good with photoshop can fit it to a TF?
Kameleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2012, 10:09   #5
Kameleon
Duuuuuuurrrty Dog

Car: MG TF 160 - Pearl Black
Send a message via MSN to Kameleon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipperMG View Post
Interesting number plate, which country is that then?

I seem to recall the OP being from Singapore or somewhere like that.
Kameleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2012, 10:24   #6
Andy1970h

Car: 06 Mini Cooper S JCW
Any rear diffuser that works rather than just being cosmetic might well make things worse in terms of the front end lifting at speed so a front splitter would probably be a good idea too.
Andy1970h is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2012, 10:29   #7
kedunga

Car: MGTF160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameleon View Post
Did you miss the picture?! :P

The OP is on about the rear bumper, one which i actually really like. Perhaps someone who's good with photoshop can fit it to a TF?
Ah my company pc is blocking that pic
kedunga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2012, 11:58   #8
Jay13 PNTHR

Car: MG6 Magnette SE 1.8T
Quote:
Originally Posted by David-124 View Post

That looks the dogs danglies.

I really, really like that. Is it from one of the newer suzuki swifts?

I dont really think based on the F and TF's shape and underside that it would need a splitter however.

That said, if combined with a spoiler and a front splitter that could work. Really think that bumper would look good with a TF boot too, possibly with the JDL spoiler as well.
Jay13 PNTHR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2012, 12:05   #9
rgt90

Car: MGF 1.8VVC
I know Jon Norris is currently making a ferrari inspired rear bumper/diffuser. Not sure if he plans to gain any extra downforce from the diffuser or if its for cosmetic purposes only but it certainly looked pretty sweet.

A pic of it can be found at the bottom of page 1 on this thread. http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthrea...hlight=Ferrari
rgt90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2012, 12:58   #10
Dieseldestroyer

Car: Modified death trap
I too.. have started a rear bumper (F one) with a rear diffuser... and also a one off front bumper..

But sshhh.. dont tell anyone..

I have some 3mm alloy sheet and have a mate who can alloy weld.. so we'll see how it goes..
Dieseldestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2012, 14:40   #11
David-124

Thankyou all for your replies back etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1970h View Post
Any rear diffuser that works rather than just being cosmetic might well make things worse in terms of the front end lifting at speed so a front splitter would probably be a good idea too.
Iíve already got a Cupra R front splitter for my TF (once I get a front bumper haha)
and I can defiantly see your point about front end lift at speed, but to be honest if I was to do a bumper it would be purely for look and not for and performance/handling benefits as that would involve modifications under the car to make the diffuser work correctly etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgt90 View Post
I know Jon Norris is currently making a ferrari inspired rear bumper/diffuser. Not sure if he plans to gain any extra downforce from the diffuser or if its for cosmetic purposes only but it certainly looked pretty sweet.
A pic of it can be found at the bottom of page 1 on this thread. http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=454359&highlight=Ferrari
Thanks for the link to the thread, and it does look quiet nice, id be going a little more subtle, I was thinking along the lines of the diffuser they fitted to the MG ZR X-power etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldestroyer View Post
I too.. have started a rear bumper (F one) with a rear diffuser... and also a one off front bumper..
But sshhh.. dont tell anyone..
I have some 3mm alloy sheet and have a mate who can alloy weld.. so we'll see how it goes..
It was your thread which I believe I originally read (as well as your build thread)
Hopefully your one off bumpers get done,

I think for the small cost it would be for me to try this I may have a shot at it and see how it turns out

Dave

Old 23-04-2012, 16:09   #12
Adam-MGTF

Car: R32 Nissan Skyline 4.0 v8 drift slut
looks good, but the odds of making the thing work as actual areo are tiny, the bodykists that go on Supras and Skylines are wind tunnel tested in japan and all sorts of time and effot go into them. All the rear diffusers i've seen on skylines are much MUCH bigger than that so i do think it looks cosmetic

go ahead and make one will be different!
Adam-MGTF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2012, 18:28   #13
David-124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-MGTF View Post
looks good, but the odds of making the thing work as actual areo are tiny, the bodykists that go on Supras and Skylines are wind tunnel tested in japan and all sorts of time and effot go into them. All the rear diffusers i've seen on skylines are much MUCH bigger than that so i do think it looks cosmetic

go ahead and make one will be different!

Adam it would defiantly be cosmetic. I know of a lad with a MK 1 MX5 who made a proper diffuser, and had to also attach flat sheets of metal under the entire length of his car in order for the air to pass smoothly under the car and through the diffuser etc

Iím defiantly going to do it as Iíve managed to source a bumper for hardly anything, and getting hold of a diffuser shouldnít be to hard, but as I said itl only be for showÖ

and if all else fails Iíll still have the original bumper

Dave

Old 23-04-2012, 18:34   #14
Adam-MGTF

Car: R32 Nissan Skyline 4.0 v8 drift slut
Quote:
Originally Posted by David-124 View Post
Adam it would defiantly be cosmetic. I know of a lad with a MK 1 MX5 who made a proper diffuser, and had to also attach flat sheets of metal under the entire length of his car in order for the air to pass smoothly under the car and through the diffuser etc

Iím defiantly going to do it as Iíve managed to source a bumper for hardly anything, and getting hold of a diffuser shouldnít be to hard, but as I said itl only be for showÖ

and if all else fails Iíll still have the original bumper

Dave
sounds good dave, plenty of pictures please!
Adam-MGTF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2012, 18:35   #15
David-124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-MGTF View Post
sounds good dave, plenty of pictures please!
there will be, when I get started on it haha, probaly going get the bumper then wait till ive finished getting a bumper for the TF haha

Dave

Old 23-04-2012, 20:50   #16
Dieseldestroyer

Hi Dave..

My front bumper is 60% there.. And will be functional.. Having more air flow to the rad..

The rear diffuser bumper will be purely for show.. That's only 20% there though..

If you're gonna mess with fibre glass get a 'bucket' type kit off e bay.. Much cheaper than buying little kits from halfords etc

Allan

Old 23-04-2012, 22:45   #17
David-124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldestroyer View Post
Hi Dave..

My front bumper is 60% there.. And will be functional.. Having more air flow to the rad..

The rear diffuser bumper will be purely for show.. That's only 20% there though..

If you're gonna mess with fibre glass get a 'bucket' type kit off e bay.. Much cheaper than buying little kits from halfords etc

Allan
Hey Allan thanks for the advice on the fibreglass.

Also from what Iíve seen of your work in your build thread Iím sure both of your bumpers will look excellent once finished.

Dave

Old 24-04-2012, 01:01   #18
Jay13 PNTHR

Car: MG6 Magnette SE 1.8T
The positioning of the device is MUCH more important, as it needs to be positioned relevant to the airflow and in a position where it will do good, often this is not the case with DIY jobies though.

The MX5 channels much more air under the car than the F does, but this is not a noticeable due to the vact that the car is front engined. The need to slap metal sheets under the car would not take my breath away, but im not sure what they look like underneath.

The issue with the F & TF is the lack of downforce at the front end to counteract the lift produced at higher speeds, due to the pressure difference the radiator sector of the bumper creates, its worse on the F by a mile.

The TF and F in my opinion would benefit from a properly adjusted spoiler rather than a dedicated diffuser, id imagine to be of any use on the TF it would need to extend well beyong the end of the car (think race S2000's)and therefore would not be road legal
Jay13 PNTHR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-04-2012, 09:00   #19
rgt90

Car: MGF 1.8VVC
It may be worthwhile looking at some Lotus diffusers for a bit of inspiration

http://www.hangar111.com/shop/search...&orderway=desc
rgt90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-04-2012, 09:14   #20
Dieseldestroyer

My one will be similar looking to this..

http://www.hangar111.com/shop/465-el...user-long.html

It may not actually improve my lap time around the Nurburgring.. but Im building it purely for looks.. lol