2.0 24V puff of blue smoke on start up - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400

Old 23-04-2012, 08:19   #1
Mgf120

Car: MGF 1.8i, Rover 45 V6 Connoisseur, Rover 25 1.4i GLi
2.0 24V puff of blue smoke on start up

Recently serviced with new oil, plugs and filters.
Mobil 1 Oil used.
Greased Lightening oil additive.
BG44K also used.

Any suggestions why this has started to happen? Within the last week.

Could it be the BG44K, or Greased Lightening?

It didnt do this previously, but saying that, the last owner hadn't serviced it at all, I only discovered this when I came to servicing it myself, plugs oil and filters, blacker than a coal miners ar5e

Any tips please?

Last edited by Mgf120; 23-04-2012 at 08:20. Reason: Error in listing
Mgf120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-04-2012, 09:07   #2
rob dunster

Car: MGTF 115 Sunstorm/Rover 45 Spirit/Scimitar SE6A 3000V6/Saab 93t convertible.
a possible cause is valve stem seal wear,that allows a dribble of oil down past the valve stem seals,especially after settling over night.i would not have thought a additive would cause it,might even prevent it happening,at least for a while.if the engine has been neglected,then new oil,with the cleaning additives in it,might have disturbed deposits that were previously 'sealing' parts of the engine.
rob dunster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 23-04-2012, 09:38   #3
Mgf120

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob dunster View Post
a possible cause is valve stem seal wear,that allows a dribble of oil down past the valve stem seals,especially after settling over night.i would not have thought a additive would cause it,might even prevent it happening,at least for a while.if the engine has been neglected,then new oil,with the cleaning additives in it,might have disturbed deposits that were previously 'sealing' parts of the engine.
Hi, thank you for your reply, I get your logic, it wasn't doing it after the oil change or when I added greased lightening.
Only after the fuel additive. I dunno, I'll see how the car gets on, I've put some more juice in it, see if that dilutes more of the additive/removes the smoke.

Old 23-04-2012, 09:57   #4
rob dunster

Car: MGTF 115 Sunstorm/Rover 45 Spirit/Scimitar SE6A 3000V6/Saab 93t convertible.
as long as its not excessive smoking,it may well right itself,but consider changing the oil and filter again within 500 mls or so,especially if you may have deposits circulating in the oil.if it occured only after using a fuel additive,again it might have disturbed deposits around the valve stems.run it for a bit,and see if it clears itself.

Old 23-04-2012, 10:06   #5
Mgf120

Quote:
as long as its not excessive smoking,it may well right itself,but consider changing the oil and filter again within 500 mls or so,especially if you may have deposits circulating in the oil.if it occured only after using a fuel additive,again it might have disturbed deposits around the valve stems.run it for a bit,and see if it clears itself.
The actual blue smoke is just on start up, then maybe 1 gas pedal blip, then seems to disappear. I've stuck 20 of juice in it and I'll check again tomorrow as its in the morning after the car has been sat overnight. I'm a little reluctant to do the oil so soon as fully synthetic Mobil 1 isn't cheap, especially when you need 5.5litres of the stuff lol. The oil previously was like black tar, then again I didn't flush out the old oil, I just drained it completely, maybe this oil with the additive has, cleaned the engine and removed all of the gunk, which you have suggested and is now showing where the engine seal are worn.
I must say it does tend to drink fuel, too much of I'm honest.

Old 23-04-2012, 18:51   #6
rob dunster

it certainly sounds like valve stem seal wear,and will happen if the seals have hardened with heat,and old oil deposits gumming them up.tbh,if you intend keeping the car for a while,i would change the oil,and maybe more than once,using a flush agent also.if you have oil deposits circulating in the engine,it can block galleries etc.i lost a honda engined 216,with a sheared camshaft,through a gunked up engine,and previous owners lack of oil changes,like yours,was like tar coming out.personally,i would use a diesel engine oil,which is detergent,before reverting to whatever you want to use.

Old 24-04-2012, 09:50   #7
Mgf120

Quote:
it certainly sounds like valve stem seal wear,and will happen if the seals have hardened with heat,and old oil deposits gumming them up.tbh,if you intend keeping the car for a while,i would change the oil,and maybe more than once,using a flush agent also.if you have oil deposits circulating in the engine,it can block galleries etc.i lost a honda engined 216,with a sheared camshaft,through a gunked up engine,and previous owners lack of oil changes,like yours,was like tar coming out.personally,i would use a diesel engine oil,which is detergent,before reverting to whatever you want to use.
Hi thank you for that info, I had toyed with the idea of diesel as an oil flush, it's still doing it this morning, I fired it up, got the Mrs to blip the throttle and after about 5 mins, the blue had almost gone, more like blue grey white mist. I really like the car, but as I have 2 others as well, I don't know wether I can justify the repair bills....

Old 24-04-2012, 10:24   #8
patpending
Supporter

Car: ZS 180 Mk2 FireFrost Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgf120 View Post
I'm a little reluctant to do the oil so soon as fully synthetic Mobil 1 isn't cheap, especially when you need 5.5litres of the stuff lol.
have you only just switched to Mobil 1? if so, don't be daft lol.

It is standard practice to make the next change in say 1000 miles if you had just switched to synthetic. I did so when I changed to Mobil 1 when my KV6 had done 6000 miles - changed the oil at 7000 miles - I bet your mileage is a "little" higher than that.

If cost is an issue, why did you put Mobil 1 in at all lol? A proper oil change is cheaper than a spoilt engine! Think "flushing" too...
patpending is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 24-04-2012, 11:00   #9
Mgf120

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpending View Post
have you only just switched to Mobil 1? if so, don't be daft lol.

It is standard practice to make the next change in say 1000 miles if you had just switched to synthetic. I did so when I changed to Mobil 1 when my KV6 had done 6000 miles - changed the oil at 7000 miles - I bet your mileage is a "little" higher than that.

If cost is an issue, why did you put Mobil 1 in at all lol? A proper oil change is cheaper than a spoilt engine! Think "flushing" too...
I did it at 94900, it's done I think 9559. Thinking back I should of flushed it lol
I look after my cars unlike the last owner, maybe the damage has been done prior to that...
I'll flush it soon and then see what happens from there.