MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Mgf vvc 1.8 1997

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  xboxdevil 
#1 ·
hi i have brought a mgf rebuilt the engine and replaced loads of parts including brake disc pads and cat plus back box, she runs lovely, i have no however go a smell of fuel in the car i have checked all the pipes in engine and the smell seems worst when its been stood once you have doors open and closed and running the car it goes away a bit, been told there is a hose from fuel filler cap to tank that perrishes and causes smell in the interior does anyone have any ideas or has had same problem xx

#2 ·
Lifted straight from Dieter's site:

- rework the rubber hose under the brown gaiter between tank and filler pipe if it's kinked
- change the cheap clamps at that rubberhose to jubilee clamps
- change the green coloured cheap clamp at the fueltank sender unit hose to a jubilee clamp
- check the large sealing of the sender unit (tank to sender body)
- check whether there is a non return 'flap' installed inside the filler pipes lower end.
- check the screws of the fuel tank cover plate behind the seats on the right torque. Screws should be tightened starting from the centre to the outer.
- remove the tank cover plate behind the seats and re-align the white coloured shredder between the tank and the cover plate.
- add a self adhesive foam tape if the existing sealing material is not placed right.

See here http://www.mgfcar.de/fueltank/index.htm for more info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.