MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rover 620 Diesel won't start

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  E_T_V 
#1 ·
Hi,

My 620 Diesel won't start.

Theres nothing, no noise, no attempt to turnover etc. The battery is fine.

The exhaust had started to blow. This morning when I look at it the front section of the exhaust has completely sheared off.

When I turned the ignition nothing.

If I replace the front section will this fix the starting problem????

Cheers in advance

#2 ·
I doubt it.

Check battery has good charge, check terminals are tight, check earth straps are good (and tight too) there should be one on the gearbox and one on the front panel if it's the same as the 400.

Finally, might be worth checking the main fuses in the box under the engine, just in case something got shorted, once had the alternator short in my 400 and an 80 amp fuse had gone, killing all electrics completely.

Dak

#3 ·
Are you saying ... all the power has gone or car doesn't start ? - ie do the lights come on.. Why has exhaust sheared off ?
Do as Dakta says - then maybe starter cable , immob , main relay etc

What is battery voltage by the way ? Should be > 12.4v ish (14.4v when alt charging .. ie when you get it going - I always find useful check to ascertain everything in order. )

Exhaust sheared off shouldn't relate at all to this - unless something 'links' to 2 issues. ie damaged wires / any earthing straps nearby etc

Gordon

#4 ·
Many tnaks for the replies.

The battery is fine (its only a couple of months old). The electrics work fine. Lights etc.

Key in the ignition, dash lights up, turn key and I get nothing. No starter motor engaging nothing.

I've checked all the fuses. All fine.

I'll now check the earthing straps.

Once again many thanks.

Doug

#6 ·
Will it bump start?

Takes imob out of the equation.

Pull wire off starter (little one) and get someone to turn key while you check for power using a tester.

If power then sticky solenoid could be problem.Cleaned them up in the past on ford starters and been ok never had to do a rover one yet.

If no power then ignition switch problem.
Turn ignition on so lights on dash are on then run a wire directly from + on battery to small terminal on starter and see if it turns over.

Or try bypassing solenoid completly by shorting big terminals and see if it turns over.

#7 ·
Starter motor contacts also freqently give problems. There is a guide on how to replace them on my website. My 600 is on its third set.

Is there a click from the starter when you turn the key? If so (and the dash lights still stay on (rather than go out), then it is likely that the starter contacts need attention. If the dash lights all go out then it is a power supply problem to the starter (either power or earth connections).

#11 ·
Just a quick update.

I got hold of a starter motor contact kit. Replaced the contacts and plunger and the car is now back up and running.

Cheers to evryone for all your help.

how much did you pay for the kit? good fix anyway my 600 derv has started making a click on turning the ignition like a shorting sound, ill have to clean the contacts on the starter see if it goes away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.