MG-Rover.org Forums banner

ROVER 45 oil light

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  cjsale 
#1 · (Edited)
Got home tonight and noticed that the oil pressure warning light is not working , took the instruments out and swapped the bulb into another holder and it works fine. I can only presume that the pressure switch may have failed, or is there a fuse that may control this. Can anybody provide any advise on this :irked:

Nobody any ideas ?????

#3 ·
E_T_V said:
Check the electrical connection for the sender (usually near the oil filter). If that is fine then replace the sender (under a tenner from a motorfactor).
I tried connecting the the connectors in the plug together but I still didn't get a dashlight. I'm going to replace the sender anyway, but I'm now wondering if there could be a broken wire somewhere.

#4 ·
I'm not sure on your car, but some (many) oil pressure switches work with only one terminal. (even though there is two in the plug on many rovers).. The sender works by allowing a path to earth through the engine block either when there is or isn't oil pressure (depending on the application).

Try connecting the terminal with a wire running to it to the engine block (earth) and see if that illuminates the oil pressure light.

#5 ·
E_T_V said:
I'm not sure on your car, but some (many) oil pressure switches work with only one terminal. (even though there is two in the plug on many rovers).. The sender works by allowing a path to earth through the engine block either when there is or isn't oil pressure (depending on the application).

Try connecting the terminal with a wire running to it to the engine block (earth) and see if that illuminates the oil pressure light.
Aah, yes I didn't think of that, there are actually 2 wires going to the plug, the wiring diag, indicates that the switch is earthed, I can't tell what colour the wires are because they are covered. I'm having the front bumper of this weekend to wire the foglamps up so I'll have another look. Thanks for the help.

#6 ·
Got in the car this morning and low and behold the light was working !!
A couple of stops and starts on the way to work and it had stopped working again. So stopped at local X-Part dealer on the way and ordered a new one, I can only presume it must be sticking when the oil is warm. (£5.97 inc vat).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.