MG-Rover.org Forums banner

riunning a rover 45 vegetable oil

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
hi,

In todays sun there is a guy filling up his car with bottles of new vegetable oil, and i was wondering if anyone has tried it on thier 45 and if so what would i need to get started? or is it just a case of pouring it into your tank mixed with diesel

#3 ·
Shouldn't see there being a problem with it myself unless there's a mega advanced fuel pump with sophisticated electronics then you may have a problem but if it's a normal old DERV lump then you could do it.

But do dilute it while it's still a tad cold, for this weather a 75% oil and 25% diesel mix would be okay and then take a trip along a road with loads of speedhumps/emergency stop a couple of times etc to mix it up.

#4 ·
I remember them doing this on top gear a while back. they used some kind of additive with the veg oil and let it settle overnight. Remember though as soon as you put it in your tank it becomes fuel and you are expected to pay TAX on it. By the way I think TAX & Vat come to about 52p per litre thats before you add the price of the fuel.....

#5 ·
Im pretty sure its tax free if you go online and declare yourself as a 'producer' and agree not to use over so much a year (huge amount allowed)-just buy from wherever and you're ok to go.
The rover L series is ok with veg oil as she is a tough old engine, however too much veg oil can damage the fuel pump so be careful like Muttley1986 says and dont put too strong a percentage in. If its cold the veg oil is more viscous than diesel and may block fuel lines etc and then you could have trouble starting.

Best system is with 2 tanks so you run diesel til the engine is warm, switch to veg oil then when you know you will be stopping in a few minutes switch back to diesel so you have diesel in the fuel line/pump next time you come to start. Obviously the setup cost is the drawback....

Cheers, James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.