MG-Rover.org Forums banner

rover 45 on vegetable oil

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  agb 
#1 ·
hi,

i was thinking of running my 45 diesel on veggie oil and wondered if anyone else has tried this and if so how do i get started .Im sick of the government ripping us off. i know there are other topics on this but i need definate answers hopefully from someone else whos done it

cheers
peter

#3 ·
Sadly with the recent increases in veg oil (SVO) prices it's hardly worth it now unless you can secure a supply of waste oil (WVO) and filter it yourself. SVO has doubled in price in 12 months.

Ideally you need a twin tank system which is a considerable investment. You can try running on an unheated 50/50 mix in the summer months but be aware that the fuel filter will need changing more regularly (at least to start with) and that you'll probably have to add a cetane booster to recover some of the lost performance or use Millers which will also give some additional protection to the fuel pump.

Any unheated system carries an element of risk and unless the motor's a knacker to start with or the fuel is cheap as chips (get it??) then it's hardly worth the risk.

Have a searchg round to see if you have any local garages selling biodiesel - it can be up to 15p per litre cheaper than the dino/bio mixes on most forecourts.

#5 ·
My Rover 45 TD has covered 6,500 miles with 2 gallons of vegetable oil being added to every tank of diesel.

There has been no loss in performance, no smoke from the exhaust and the fuel economy is unchanged. The car is currently doing 50 to 52 mpg.

The supermarkets have ramped up the prices of vegetable oil but some oil can still be had for 80p/litre.

With diesel at £1.17/litre there is a saving to be made. If you can make a saving that will cover the cost of your car tax in a year that's better than nothing at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.