MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Ignition Barrel lose???

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  SteveCac 
#1 ·
Hi guys, just got a 97' 620 gsi, and the ignition barrel is lose???
There are no signs of anything being broken or forced, so I really dont think that anybody has tried to break into it.
I know the car used to be used as a cab, but is it possible for the steering lock to break it in this way, and is it a easy repair?

Oh, the outside locks and ignition are on the same key, so unless all the locks have been replaced, I dont suspect anything criminal.

Although my central locking doesnt work either?

Any help much appreciated, thank you.

#2 ·
Hi,
this is what i've been asking aswell on another thread. Does your barrel move out of line with the hole in the cowel? My steering lock activates with the wheel upside down aswell. I'd like to know if the barrel/lock assembly can be tightened?

ps. the central locking works fine though...

#3 ·
Yup, in moves freely inside, cant check the steering lock until thursday evening though.
Surly it must be able to be tightened up, but dont get my car back until thursday to tell, and then I'm on holibob, which is why I was asking.
When I get back it'll come apart, but if anybody knows then at least I'll know what I'm looking for.
If no-one can help pablo, I'll get back on here when I get back.

#5 ·
agw_01 said:
My steering lock won't even work, so I'll be interested in some of the future replies in this thread :)

When you say the central locking doesn't work, do you open the doors with a fob or with the key, and do the motors turn but no doors open?
Can't answer yet, just bought the car, had a quick drive, but havnt had a real chance to test the locking yet and as I said earlier, cant get to the car until thursday evening.
All i did at the time was unlock the drivers door with the key, dont recall hearing the motors, and pulled the others open from inside.

When I get it back I'll let you know about the fob and if I can hear the motors trying to work.

#6 ·
Sorry guys, didnt get a chance to look on thursday, and I havnt packed for my holibob. The barrel just kinda floats inside the cowling around the hole for it, but I presume that it doesnt rigidly fix to that!

And the C/l wont work with either the key or the fob, which just flashes and doesnt do a lot else.

Also, does the rear window de-mister have a light on it to show when it is working?

#8 ·
Ok, well, in my case, one of the sheer bolts had worked its way lose, managed to get it out without drilling, quick hacksaw later, managed to tighten it with a slotted driver, although, the steering lock doesnt seem to work.

Damn, will have to take it apart again.

Oh, no fuse in the centrl locking, works fine both key and fob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.