MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Engine coolant temperature sensor Rover 100

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  nedsram1947 
#1 ·
I have had lots of advise on finding a coolant temperature sensor (the one that lets the ECU know how much fuel to supply and timing advance/retard) for my 1996 N reg Rover 111 Kensington, but the links I have been given only show the purchasing of the sensor for the temperature gauge on the dashboard. I have spent many hours searching the web trying to buy one of these sensors without success. As I said in a previous thread, Rover dealers are asking £35.00 for one, which I am reluctant to pay. Considering the in-car gauge sensor can be had for £7-13 depending on the source, £35.00 seems a bit steep. Has anyone actually changed this sensor that is screwed into the underside of the inlet manifold on a SPI system and if you have, how much was it and where can I get one from?

I am certain that the faulty sensor that was diagnosed during a test through the diagnostic plug is causing my high revs at idle and occasional erratic revs whilst driving. Please help as I'm getting short of patience trying to get hold of the sensor at a reasonable price! Thanks!

#11 ·
Cheers! I'll let you know when I've fitted the sensor if I notice any improvements to the idling etc. The modern engine management system is a vast improvement over the old points, condenser, plugs and rotor arm set up with a carburettor, but when it goes wrong, the average bloke can't fix it! Oh well, we have to move with the times eh? Safe motoring!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.