MG-Rover.org Forums banner

75 Diesel Replacement Clutch - How Much?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  lates 
#1 ·
Hi

Posted a few days ago about getting the car in gear, very stiff and virtually unusable.

Local independent garage diagnosed after a quick check that the clutch had gone, although it would still drive and engage - just.

They quote around £700 for labour (6 Hours), and parts, Clutch, Slave & Master cylinder and associated hydraulics.

I have read that this is an expensive job but wondered if anyone has experience of this job and am I getting value for money and good advice?
TIA
Mal

#2 ·
Hi M8

Before you go the route of a new clutch, you need to consider flushing the clutch hydraulic system. If you need to put pedal to the floor to engage gear you could have any of the following.
1) leaking slave cylinder
2) leaking master cylinder
3) Low hydraulic fluid in clutch system
4) knackered clutch.
Regards

#5 ·
Had my 2002 75 diesel clutch replaced last week. 80k miles. Symptoms were pedal getting closer and closer to floor before disengage. Used my local and trusted garage who found that slave and master were leaking - apparently a problem on this model. Big job to replace as box needs to come out so had clutch plate assembly done at same time. Total cost inc vat was £750 so your quote is not far off. Do make sure that if you have cruise control that they adjust contact switch on clutch pedal otherwise might not work. My own garage missed this but since sorted. Seems sensible to do slave master and plates all at same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.