MG-Rover.org Forums banner

How to use pump to drain petrol tank

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  cooper1200 
#1 ·
My car is a write-off and I want to drain the (full) fuel tank before it gets towed away.

I have read lots of posts on here about the best way to do it, which seems to be to remove the fuel input to the manifold, and run the pump to drain the tank.

One way seems to be to keep turning the ignition to stage two and back, so the pump 'primes' the fuel and pumps a bit each time. This seems to be taking ages, and I read another post that seemed to suggest that by putting 12v across the inertia cut-off switch leads, the pump could be made to run continuously. I can't seem to get this to work...any ideas?

I have connected the two leads to a 12v battery, and turn the key to stage 2 and just seem to get the fuel pump priming, but not pumping continuously.

Any help really appreciated,

Dave

#3 ·
lift the back seat and you will find the wires that go to the pump and tank sender unit, source the two largest wires that feed the pump bure the coating back a little and connect a jump pack direct and the pump will work all the time the power is connected, make sure you have disconnect the fuel pipe at the filter and connect a temporary connection to a hose into a suitable container.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.