MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Brands/Cars to progress to?

8K views 73 replies 27 participants last post by  forehead 
#1 ·
I was watching the BBC midlands article about the large number of MG-Rover cars still on the road earlier, where it mentioned one of the possible reasons for the high survival rate is that there is no obvious equivalent replacement for a lot of the models. This got me thinking, as it's definitely an issue that has affected me and my family. When I needed a cheap to run small car last year to see me through my MSc, I looked at a few options before settling on a diesel ZR to replace my 216si. When my mom wanted a work runaround to replace her aging inherited 600sdi, she looked at lots of options (Mazda, Vauxhall, Suzuki, Nissan) before settling on a mk2 25 gsi. Apart from the familiarity aspect, it seems no other brand offered the combination of value, comfort and build quality of the MG-Rover cars.

When I qualify in just over a year, I'll be treating myself to an upgraded motor, hopefully a late 75 or ZT. But say you wanted to move to something built in the last 5 years - what would be the options?

These are the best I could come up with:

Cityrover - Some crappy little Chevrolet
25 - MG3
Streetwise - ?
45 - ?
75 - Jag X-type
75 V8 - XF V8

For the MG range, I can't think of anything bar:
ZT 260 - VXR8
TF - MX5

As for the brands, I guess MG would be replaced with the new MG somewhat...though their cars aren't really sporty enough yet to be a direct replacement. The Rover brand is even harder. The larger models I'd say are Jag equivalents, but Jag doesn't make small cars. So the 25 and 45, with their wood and leather comfort ambience, yet relatively cheap original list prices don't have an equivalent...

Anyone have any other thoughts as to worthly modern substitutes?

See less See more
#2 ·
The easiest way to answer this question would be to ask the former MG and Rover owners on this site what they have progressed to.

I can't help with that as I'm still an MGR product owner but I have put a lot of thought on to what I'd want to replace the ZT. Mostly I'd be looking at the hot hatchbacks and sport saloons offered by over manufacturers.

#3 ·
I swapped my 2002 VW Passat 2.0 petrol for a 2003 Rover 25 1.6, swapped that for a 1997 Alfa Spider 2.0TS which I kept and bought an Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm. I, and for the fun of it bought my current 1998 Audi A4, 1.6 petrol.

So we go Passat > Rover > Alfa Spider > Alfa GT > Audi and soon back to my GT.

The Passat is the same class (almost the same car) as the Audi, the Rover maybe the same as the GT? The Spider, well that's just fabulous :)

#4 ·
When looking at a replacement for my streetwise (wanted something a bit bigger and with a higher towing capacity - as I'm looking at getting a caravan), I thought it would be an easy task. The cars raved by the press were the Focus and Astra. Both are bigger inside, more rear legroom, but the boot doesn't look any bigger. Also I thought the dash on the Astra very fussy, with thousands of little buttons.

So, still got the Streetwise :) I am looking at the MG6 though (excellent value for money), and a Quashqi (probably too expensive for a newer, low mileage model)...

#5 ·
New car wise I'm only really interested in decent quality small eco box's with a 1ltr size engine, but I wouldn't pay the money for things like a Kia Picanto or Hyundai i10 etc.

Otherwise, I don't think I'll ever move on from my Rover 220 coupe. Take it away, and I'd be just as specific about what age and model of other manufacturers car's I could have in it's place.

It's not like the world is swimming in Mazda MX6's, Toyota 5th gen Celica's or mk1 Hyundai coupe Evo F2's is it?

#7 ·
Funny you should mention Skoda. I was just thinking the other day that the Octavia VRS had a bit of a modern day ZS180 look to it. A fairly competent but ordinary car (like the 45 was) turned into a more than respectable sports hatch with a big engine, a flash bodykit and a range of bright colours. The only miss is a 2.0 Turbo in place of the smooth and burbling 2.5 KV6 but the way things are going in terms of emissions a V6 isn't really viable.

#9 ·
Is anything above a 1ltr size petrol engine viable without a small boring eco turbo set up?

All these petrol turbo's for emissions are really just like TDi's in that you get a bit of torque but no fun driving them either!

Can anyone think of a brand that offers a sonorous V6 in a performance/hatch or saloon these days? 4pot engines are all pretty boring now following the same format, and 3pot engines with forced induction and married to hybrid drivetrain seem to be what we all have to look forward to!

#11 ·
Not the first MGR owner I've seen saying they've moved over to a fast Ford. Both the Fiesta and Focus ST seem to be cracking cars and I could quite fancy a Focus ST Estate.

Can anyone think of a brand that offers a sonorous V6 in a performance/hatch or saloon these days?
The only one I can think of is the Vauxhall Insignia VXR. There's a 2.8 V6 Turbo in that. Volkswagen did a 3.6 V6 Passat up until a couple of years ago and I think the Skoda Superb is still available with that engine, but it's more a cruiser than a racer.

#10 ·
I ordered a new Ford Fiesta ST2 last Autumn as I fancied a proper Hot Hatch as I never had one before & got it on March 1st. It wasn't bought to replace anything just an addition though I did sell my 06 reg Rover 25GSi but that was simply because I was offered such a ridiculously good price I could not refuse & importantly it went to an enthusiast.
Last year I bought a new Range Rover Evoque as a main car to have one with a warranty etc but hardly use it now I have the Ford so may sell.
Still have the ZR-Express & my MG Montego then hopefully an MG or VDP Metro soon.

#12 ·
I went from my 25 to a 200, then back to the original 25, then to a Rover Cabby, then back to the 25 again, got a 400, then went back to the old faithful 25, got an MGF, parked it up for repairs, now stolen the Mrs 25, she now drive my original 25 lol. :lol:

#15 ·
I can only see two options to progress to from my 05 1.4 25 in a couple years, either a 45 TD on a 54 plate or higher (which I'd have to do work to and upgrade) or a Volvo c30 just because they are tanks and pretty with good engine options.

I know they are quite contrasting cars, but I don't see a problem.

#16 ·
I love my 25. Had her out on some country roads today up towards the Antrim coast.

My car ownership has been through several makes and MG-R is my current.

Ford fiesta
VW Bora
Nissan Sentra
Pontiac Trans sport
Buick Regal
Rover 25

Thinking my next larger size car may well be an MG ZS/T or an MG6. I would prefer to stay with MG and prefer to buy British made cars.

#20 ·
Since MGR went and now all the surviving cars are getting old and tired, I find I really don't care about cars much anymore, JLR stuff aside.
So for a newish modern car its Toyota Hybrid stuff for me, cheap to run and reliable. Why pay more than you have to to drive something you don't feel a connection to?

#22 ·
I was watching the BBC midlands article about the large number of MG-Rover ,<snip>.
When I qualify in just over a year, I'll be treating myself to an upgraded motor, hopefully a late 75 or ZT. But say you wanted to move to something built in the last 5 years - what would be the options?

These are the best I could come up with:

Cityrover - Some crappy little Chevrolet
25 - MG3
Streetwise - ?
45 - ?
75 - Jag X-type
75 V8 - XF V8

For the MG range, I can't think of anything bar:
ZT 260 - VXR8
TF - MX5

As for the brands, I guess MG would be replaced with the new MG ?
The latest Mazdas might be a Rover replacement, or even the current batch of SAIC MGs.

As for MG, as you say the current batch arent there yet, Seat are just cheap and horible inside and Alfa saloons I just dont get.

By the way, please dont insult us MGF/TF owners with the MX5 to date - it has no soul and is ugly so will never fit the bill.

I had hoped the new shared platform Alfa/Mazda might be the answer, but Mazda seem to be erring on the boring side of styling together with the less than sporty Skyactive engine, and Alfa cant decide what to do but seem intent on making it unreliable. Like Jon I was toying with the idea of a second hand Z4 but it's not really a small nimble British style sports roadster really.

#25 ·
The SEAT Leon looks very much in the mode of a 25; it even has a large rear windscreen wiper and is a car I will consider for the future.
Honda seemed to pick up the chrome fittings when it collaborated with Rover and had varying degrees of input into the 25 and 45 so maybe it's the successor to the Rover range?
Has anyone mentioned the BMW 1 being a replacement for the Rover 25? :minxy:

#29 ·
After 12 years of 75 ownership and 16 years with the MGF, we parted company with our Rover ownership experience and sold both cars last year. As poor old pensioners I wanted a new car that showed my solidarity with fellow poor pensions so wanted a car with a down market, working class image so we got a BMW 3 Series! Not so poor mind, that we had to get a diesel! We got a 328 estate and have to confess it does go very well and has an engine made in Brum.

#36 ·
I've effectively just moved from a Rover 75 to an MG6, and I don't feel at all shortchanged, despite my love for the 75's glorious interior.

Of course I must point out that I find it very difficult to sell much-loved if technically unnecessary cars (they're like pets), so my fleet is gradually increasing to the point of marriage problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.