MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Head Gasket cost on Rover 25

18K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  scottish1 
#1 ·
hello everyone, I have an 04 Rover 25 1.4cc. I have been losing coolant regularly for last month or so. Took it to a Rover/Kia dealership near me in Hampshire today - they confirmed my worst fears that it was the head gasket that needed replacing (they said coolant in the oil confirmed this was the cause of losing coolant all the time - there were no other obvious signs of coolant leakage to my eyes). They have quoted me between £750-800 for the replacement and fixing of the problem. I thought that was a bit steep. But I didn't want to risk driving it around any longer to other garages for an alternative quote in case the gasket blows. Is £750-800 too high? Am I being taken for a mug? I don't know much about cars, but it is a well known dealership in the area so I suspect it may be higher than a normal garage but then again I want it done properly so I trust the technicians at the dealer know what they are doing,and I know dealerships always charge more. Any views on the price please would be appreciated! thanks

#3 ·
got my head gasket, water pump, cambelt and tensioner replaced for £150...parts came to about £140 i think. So £800 is way steep...usually about £350-450 i reckon. Mine was replaced with MLS gasket and has been on the car for over a year (9000 miles aprox.) and is working perfectly...car did not over-heat so did not need to skim head and re-used head bolts *waits for the gasps of air*. All in all, I would beat them down to £400 for all the trimmings or take it elsewhere to a respected local garage who will know what to do anyway perfectly fine. This is only my opinion but I hope it helps you when it comes to what to ask for( MLS head gasket,cambelt(if not replaced recently)and tensioners, water pump) and how much it should roughly cost.

#7 ·
The price quoted is probably about right for main dealer rates. Also, if the place you took it to is an ex Rover dealership, and a current XPart service agent, they may have quoted for the route recommended by XPart and are going to fit the new Chinese mls gasket - the kit comprises a one piece mls gasket, strengthened bottom rail and higher tensile bolts and costs over £220 without all the other seals, gaskets, water pump, belts etc that they may change at the same time.

You should get a price of under £500 from an independant garage.

#10 ·
I was scared that people would hate me for re-using the head bolts lol glad to hear you back that choice. I have never felt the need to replace the oil rail tbh, but then again, I don't know what one is :S lol I do know they use the strengthened land rover one but other than that...not a scooby lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.