MG-Rover.org Forums banner

L series Diesel Freelander help pls..

6K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  220sdi_Turbo 
#1 ·
Howdy folks.. found this place right at the top of my google search so thought id sign up and beg and plead for some help lol.

ok, well ive had my freelander for a week now and I picked it up from work (i work for a tyre dealer) after having the rear brakes fixed on friday and as soon as i drove out of the workshop it all.. for want of a better phrase... went to cr*p - wont rev over 2000 and dies as soon as you try - terrible smoke and smell of burning and once you turn the engine off - it wont restart for a few mins and then starts first turn as normal.

I know my way around a car but diesels are a total mystery to me lol.. the smoke/smell and lack of starting once ran makes me think fueling - as it did the guy at work.. he suggested an airflow meter? But the code on the scanner suggests something injector related...?

Ive picked up on the wiring problem to injector 1 a fair bit around here... would this be likely to cause this problem?

any suggestions i can take in before they get around to 'trial and error' replacement of parts would be greatly appreciated..

cheers

Andy

See less See more
#5 ·
yeah, it could have been..

engine revs fine when first started but after a very short period of driving (were talking seconds) it hits 2000 and then completely bottoms out....theres no smoke before this happens either.

once the engine is cut after the smoke - it wont start for a few minutes.. and then repeats.

thanks for the exceptionally quick reply by the way :)

#6 ·
No problem :)

i'm not sure what it could be, could be the MAF sensor, but I don't think any freelanders came out with the VP30 (I do have the software to confirm it, which il do shortly) so I don't think the MAF will have any effect on it tbh.

What can't be ruled out is perhaps the EGR valve might be sticky. Try disconnecting the vacuum hose and blocking it with a screw and see if that helps. Two minute test.

#11 ·
really??

it wasnt the complete replacement sensor - one of the local factors sells an insert (whatever that is lol) and it was waaaaay cheaper than a complete replacement.

yeah... sure - i want to take some pics anyway.. purely for 'ooh look at my new motor' purposes so i'll take a couple of extra ones while im there and stick them up :)

#12 ·
glad you fixed it dude.

I (briefly it must be said) thought about a freelander when thinking of what car to get next. I remember scott (Torkenstine) saying that his freelander was quite pokey when he fitted his tu1.

I think you should defo get a tu1 and up the boost :broon: lol

cheers
Ben

#16 ·
here we go again... lol

Ok, I put my landy in for a service at work on friday and its come out with the same problem again (altough not quite as extreme this time).. the only similarity between the two jobs is that the car was up on ramps..

so, cant have been the maf sensor unless something done during a service would cause it to need to be reset or anything maybe?

just been for a run to see how bad it was this morning and when i got back I noticed that the little primer pump was sucked totally flat (like theres a blockage).. which led me to want to check the sedment filter - my thinking being that the ramps may have caused some gunk to enter the fuel line.... but i cant find a filter/plug to drain at the rear of the car at all - is it possible that it has been removed? the tank looks pretty new..

#20 ·
I wouldn't say that the primer being sucked flat is a sign of it perishing, more as andyboro touched on that there is a blockage further back up the line. I'd try blowing some air up the pipe, with the fuel filler cap off to try and dislodge any crud in the lines, and change the filter regularly.

#26 ·
definately, i cured mine by squeezing the sides of it and persuading it to open, eventually it did, i kept doing it and took the pipe off on the OUT side of the bulb until i pumped some fresh stuff through.
put it back on and because of the veg oil it would run for a bit and do the same again when i booted it... i got to a garage chucked a tenners worth of diesel in, me and my mate shook the car around like mad to mix it, never had the problem again.

in your case i would take the bulb off, turn it the other way around temporarily so that the out is facing towards the tank, leave the other end disconnected and see if it will pump back through, then turn it back around if it cleares (thats if you have no airline, bit of improvising)

PS. it was used veg oil of the skankiest grade ive ever seen, fresh out of my mates deep fryer and apart from the fact that it was slighty too thick for the bulb to handle, the car run lovely on it! and it was filtered through nylon tights, just done it as an experiment really to see if it really worked and the car actually felt better on it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.