MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Suppose my mgf'in has come to an end :(

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  nickw1401 
#1 ·
Well don't think I'll be stepping in a rear wheel drive again :(

Thanks for everyone's help/tips with all fixes is been doing to car including £400+ Daytona an £500 roof all bent an destroyed gutted doesn't cover it

See less See more
#5 ·
That is true, just after it all you start thinking about it when youve only just got them installed a few week, ago, when i have a feeling my insurance is never going to cover cost of car, really want to buy another an jump back in causebi loved it, but dont want to upset my other half

#4 ·
The back end slipped out on a wet roundabout, so I panicked turn into it an it skidded opposite way so slammed in brakes but think I hit throttle instead, this was all at around 30-40mph,
So sideways into a lamppost, but yes I am okay been very lucky tbh seen as the while impact was my drivers door

Do believe my roll hoops/support brace helped with stopping the car folding in half tbh

#6 ·
Glad you are ok, this is the most important bit. It can happen to anybody. Maybe there are things that can be salvaged, if you hit the lampost sideways are you sure the exhaust is broken? 30-40mph for a roundabout sounds a bit brave :)

In a Ride Drive course I did (and in the track session afterwards) I was told that hitting the brakes is actually the worst thing you can do under these circumstances. Of course this is counter-intuitive and in a situation like this it is very difficult to avoid doing it as the reflex kicks in. Practically what happens is that the weight of the car is thrown forward nearside (for a roundabout) and you lose traction and grip in the rear wheels. The rear of the car doesn't slow down as opposed to the front (no grip) therefore the rear travels forward faster than the front. This makes the skid even worse and difficult to recover from (usually ends up in a spin). Easing the gas and slightly steering towards the direction of the drift (again counter-intuitive) seems to be the way to go.

If you liked the car why not see this as an opportunity? When you shake off the shock, buy another one and do a Ride Drive course or two. You will emerge a much better driver who, unlike myself for example, has been there, done that and knows how it is when the back end goes in real life conditions.

#7 ·
A bit of T-Cut and it will be OK :crying:.

Seriously though the car, even an MGF, is a replaceable inanimate object so as long as no one was hurt ...................................... You will be OK!!

Just be aware of the "Tyre Police" ..................... in fact am suprised they ahve not popped up yet !!!!!

#11 ·
Absolutely right. If it is an MGF the car is worth what? 600-700? 1000? The Daytona is £500 all by itself. Get a stick and keep them away from your car. Take the Daytona out. The VVC engine if it is intact is worth another £500 (maybe more?). The parts are more expensive than the car. Not to mention that they will increase your premiums. Tell them to go away.

#13 ·
I will see how much they ask for it back, though tbh the only thing I think worth anything left on it now is the backbox an the glass rear window, I'll see how much the settlement is they agree it's worth, I do believe it was valued at 1650 in December when I took my policy out, I have already got my roll hoops windstop an lil chrome extra's so not completely empty handed

#23 ·
Why are his insurers watching Big Brother?? (or is BB something else)

Just viewed the 'copart' link- it says, "primary damage: all over".
Outstanding! I have bent a couple of cars in my time, but never achieved 'all over' damage.
Remember, you walked away!
I think there's some old saw amongst pilots that any landing you walk away from is a good one. Get back in the saddle and get driving.

ps- Of course, you didn't tell the insurers the engine was FUBAR'ed, did you?

#27 ·
An yeah lol, so weird how those dents
/folds happened to both sides on both scoops does look very much like side skirts with built in scoops lol myt be sum thing I have done at a body shop on my next mgf one day lol,

Yeah it was my black box surprisingly I received my 3month discount today, despite the bump, an been paid out a while ago, so overall they must have believed my driving was good before an upto the accident,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.