MG-Rover.org Forums banner

New Jaguar XF - Already!

55K views 139 replies 34 participants last post by  Griffo 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Yes, I can see it's a facelift, but quite significant with sheetmetal changes around the front, especially the bonnet around the head-light area.

I thought it was post worthy because it shows Jag are not resting on their laurels, I hear sales of the XF are up more than 50% this year, but they still understand that constant improvement is vital, a big change from Jag/BL of old.

I only hope it ends up looking like the C-XF concept

#4 ·
The front end looks like it's heading towards the XJ's styling which is no bad thing. Good on Jag for not letting things rest with the car. By 2012 the new Audi A6 & A7 will have launched and the Merc CLS range complete so the competition will get increasingly tougher.

#11 ·
If indeed they have done away with those horrible headlamps it can only be a good thing. It was/is the only thing about the XF that i didnt like.

I Hope though, they havent just stuck XJ lights and grill on it. There needs to be some seperation between the two models and using identical lights on both will simply comes across as penny pinching.

#30 ·
2012 if AE are to be belived and if they are to be believed AT LAST it will have a 2.2L diesel from the Mondy with 190hp to compete with the BMW 520D

This new engine will account for 60% of sales if the blurb is true.

Question is why didnt they do that in the first place rather than wasting time with supercharged V8s that no one buys.

MG are you listening - Buyers want diesels not dirty old gas guzzling petrols.

#31 ·
MG are you listening - Buyers want diesels not dirty old gas guzzling petrols.
Speak for yourself. If I buy a diesel it is not for fun. Fun is strictly and exclusively for petrol engined cars. If I buy diesel it is it's to allow me to have a big car with some form of economy. Diesel's stink, belch acrid crap out the back and rattle like the proverbial tractor.

There is a reason diesel cars are restricted to Le Mans. They are slow and reliable with less stops for fill ups. They are not in F1 because petrol engines are fast not quite as reliable, sound bloomin fantastic and make you smile all day :)
Diesels really are a necessary evil :). Fuel of the devil in fact :p

I guess it is obvious that I am not a fan and could not care less if one never appeared in the MG6.

#32 ·
As an aside, diesels vs. dirty old petrols, I can see that various kinds of engine have their fans but the dirtier engine could be seen as the one that uses the fuel that is more like sludge and the cleaner one as the one that is more like a gas. Which is over-simplification.

The catalytic converter, I have read, increases fuel consumption - so it brings CO down and increases CO2.

Similarly, "emissions" tests which did not include particulate emissions overstated the advantage of the diesel. We know that the current "emissions" tests favour tiny engines with all sorts of chargers - e,g, VW 1.2 with turbo and supercharger. What effect these really have on the environment, when these engines are ten years old, remains to be seen. I do know that I have read that VW's AdBlue low-CO2 diesel has horrendous emissions of things that are not tested for.

Just stuff I've read. Shows we must beware of falling for marketing and fashion, though...

#43 ·
I drove the facelift XF on Monday and it is a nice tidy up.

The reason why the front lights didn't look like that back in 2007 was that lighting technology wasn't advanced enough to allow it, according to Jag. They would have liked it to look like that at launch.

I drove the 2.2 Diesel, and there's a new 8-speed automatic gearbox in it, and in the 3.0-litre V6 diesels. There's 4WD XFs to come, along with an XF-RS and yet to be confirmed, but not denied, an XF Estate. The XJ will also get 4WD too ;)

#48 ·
There won't be a 2.0-litre diesel engine from Jaguar. They will use their new 2.2 iD4 engine in various states of tune.

I think they need to benchmark the 3 Series and Mondeo for driving experience, A4 for quality, and totally forget the C-Class altogether. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.