MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Clonk from front suspension

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  stevereid 
#1 ·
The R75 that i bought 5 days ago has gone back to the garage to get a clonking noise fixed.It is noticeable when the steering is turned,speed humps and setting off from rest.According to the garage it is a bearing in the front suspension tower.Now this car was MOT,d by them not 2 days before i collected the car.I find it hard to believe that this major fault was not picked up.The bearing has to be ordered so i am without a car now.Anyone else had this fault.Mileage is 47000

#4 ·
Springs

MikeM said:
I'm not certain going over speed humps would make the noise as the bearing click usually happens as the wheels are turned and the worn bearing 'clicks `over' if you understand. With what you describe I'd be looking at the dampers or springs also.

Mike
That was my first thought as well Mike. Perhaps broken spring, it has been reported before and i think there was a mod to stop a broken spring puncturing the tyre. I understand the later springs were of a modified material.

#5 ·
hi the clunking noise is happening to me and i have found out that it is the lower arm (wishbone) raise the side were the noise is coming from with a jack and give the wheel a little tug around if there is a little bit movement the wishbone has gone and it is a right pain to do. hope this might be of use

#7 ·
My ZT 190 went in 5 times under waranty for a clunk in the nearside front end AND a tendancy to veere quite violently towards armco barriers on right hand bends on motorways. Its wasnt untill I told them they could have the thing back did they finally fix it. But after just another 2 thousand miles and after MGR stopped waranty I had a wheel bearing gone on the same wheel. When my local non MGR garage removed the bearing they found that the MGR dealer had relaced the hub with the OLD bearing, thus the pulling it out and pressing it back in damaged the thing. Well done MGR dealer, that impressed me.
:toastie:

#9 ·
Front end knocking

My 75 has been to 3 garages with the knocking noise and each one said there is no problems.
The 4th said the anti roll bar bearing had gone, which they said was a common problen along with the suspension tower bearings, so they changed the anti roll bar bearings.

The noise has quirtened but is still there so I too will have a look at the wish bone and the suspension tower

#13 ·
I have the same problem guys, had it to 3 different garages and no one can find a thing.
Just went through its MOT on friday gone and i mentioned it to the guy who was testing it.
It passed and he said he couldnt find a thing, he did mention it could be the top suspension swivel.
Mine is heard on turning on bumpy ground and low speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.