MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Factory Tour #2 After tour thread!

4K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  Stu 
#1 ·
Well, another very successful, imformative and enjoyable tour, thanks to everyone involved in organising the tour, it was another fantastic tour by John and Peter, many thanks again for your time.

Everyone turned up on time, from as far away as Belgium, Belfast, Japan and Walsall! ;) You can see us all (except me, as I'm behind the camera) below:

We do hope to have some more, but due to reasons that are not too hard to guess at, it will be some time before we do. We will however, endeavour to arrange the next one during half term, for the teachers among us!

Thanks to everyone for showing up, hope you enjoyed the day as much as I did. I will make a mental note however, to bring a coat next time - it was damn cold in my XPower top! ;)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Great day out - good to meet some more of you face-to-face even if first impressions of me were of a burger eating lardass in Maccy D's!

Still.....I was hungry! J - ta for the coffee :)

Peter and John did us proud yet again, well done and many thanks guys :beer2:

PS Just picked up Harriet from Hospital, all is well, she just has some bandaged feet! Thanks for all your concern today, sorry I wasn't really my normal self! ;)

#6 ·
Ste214 said:
hey! you guys got a photo :( us first lot didn't :p :lol:
Glad you hada good day out lads. I know enjoyed it when i went with the first lot. Was a smashing day out :D
Ste
Yeah....a photo was on top of our 'Must Do' list today...didn't get the chance last time as we didn't really know what to expect.
Tried to do one at the end but everyone 'scattered'!

This time round we didn't get to see the Quality Centre - For various reasons.....;-)

Still, the food was good:p

#7 ·
Dear Steve and Dave (also FlyBe with cheap flights),

Thanks for making this happen!
It was without exaggeration a dream coming true.
Seeing so many Rovers and MG's parked next to one another is a sight not to be forgotten easily. (over here in Belgium I get a kick at every Rover I spot, so you can imagine the overdose I got today)

Oh yeah, when some of you lot are coming over to Belgium I'll happely play cab-man for you guys.

Also a lot of praise for Peter and John from the visitors centre who were also really into it all.

Glad Hariet's op went fine.

Would like to see you all again sometime. :grouphug:

Only bad thing was we didn't see the quality centre.
But I take this as a good thing. This probably means they are testing out new things and it means also a chance to come back another time.

PS: To Desy - Seems I've beaten you to post first home! :beer2:

PS2: Isn't the text Visitors Centre written in an ugly typeface, screaming B*W?

#8 ·
Phew, just arrived home :)

Thanks to Dave, Steve and the MGR guys for a fantastic day. It was good to meet everyone.

Steve, the overseas boys were dropped off in plenty of time, so you shouldn't get any suprise huests tonight :D

Interesting to see just how many people it takes to build a car :(

#16 ·
We did indeed see a white 75 with conaisseur alloys going through quality control.

I must say it really stood out from the crowd in a good way!

We had to go, so we don't know if the Quality Control was successfull. Hope so...

I remember hearing people from the tour talking about the car: "Was that Old English White?"

Cheers,

Tom

#18 ·
Well i have to say it was Fantastic & good to meet so many of yas & put the names to faces etc etc Cheers Billy & Desy yas were both a good laugh.. & thanks must go to Dave & Steve + the tour guides they were v good & some of us did put them on the spot with the odd questions eh..
Them Robots are something else...

I done a silly thing on my way back up the M5 instead of going north onto the M6 i headed south oopppps & didnt turn around until the M42 arh well had a scenic tour of brum land... & all that traffic i think i'll stick to the countryside mind my car was going really well it likes them motorways

Dave give me a call & i'll get yas squared up OK

Thanks everyone it was a great experience....

:cloud9:

PS Desy/Billy the torch is brill :naughty:

#19 ·
Hi,
All I can really do is echo what everyone else has said...
Great Day out, very informative.... and it'll be a while before they can give another tour... probably be in the Autumn....

;)

Good to meet everyone... Dave, Steve, Matt, everyone else.... I could go through 20+ names but I wont....

Stuart

#20 · (Edited)
MG merchandise V cheap @ Factory

One bonus of getting into that Visitors centre as all us that have now been as part of the TOUR is the Merchandise is V cheap everyone should know that so they spend even more money....

Hope its OK to say that

employee's prices & some are less than half compared to what the dealers have to charge....

Even good offers on all of the cars with more than £1000 off some of them

that was kept v quiet ???

:dddc:

#21 ·
BIG, BIG thanks to Steve, Dave, John and Peter !

What a great day out, it was great to meet everyone.

I would love to be able to go and wander around the whole plant.

Strange as it sounds, but I would love to work at Longbridge, if only to qualify for those great employee prices on Cars, Parts and Merchandise :D

I'm hoping to go again ASAP with a few mates.......can't wait.

#22 ·
Also great to have seen where the name Mr.Gadget comes from.
We can all testify the man truly deserves his title.

But, I also would like to make him a suggestion:
I have fitted a compass (is thsi english?) to the dash.
really handy when having to navigate in unknown territory.

#23 ·
A great day for sure with excellent and friendly tour guides. I don't quite know what I was expecting but I must admit I was surprised at the precision and quality with which the 75 was put together . Also the way the parts were delivered to each of the stations in the order the cars were coming down the assembly lines. Images of men with panel beating hammers and hand stictching leathercloth have left my mind, the factory process is as modern as any mass production plant. A great tour and I'd love to go again, but I'm sure there are no shortage of people that can fill vacent places!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.