MG-Rover.org Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What have you done to your MGF MGTF today? (First Part)

371K views 3K replies 358 participants last post by  Roverlike 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tell you what I've done:~

At last I've found out why my MGF's steering is so heavy at very slow speeds or when stationary. The car is not fitted with EPAS ! :rolleyes:

Needing to reprogramme a couple of two button remote fobs as one had stopped working, I soon had two working remote fobs using the T-300. With the fuse and relay box cover lowered, I was able to look for the BIG electric appendage on the steering column. Could not see any sign of it ... What I did see was this. ... Proof conclusive. No EPAS! :)

No bluddy wonder me old biceps have to work that bit harder except when on the move. The 40 low profile 215 wide Goodyears are very grippy which also means more muscle power required when stopped or moving very slowly. As when parking in a tight spot. One small bonus, I need not check to see why the EPAS check light does not work on my car.... :lol:

Whilst working in that area, another little job was completed. Replacing the bulb in the driver side footwell light. Now I can see my foot in the dark. Another bonus .. :lol:

Also tidied up some of the various dangling wires in that fuse box area. Can't have dangling wires in any car of mine. See attached images. First attached image shows the OBD Male Port located in the cabin fusebox high above the driver's right knee. Others show that BIG fuse housing located under the front bonnet.

So, I have a question, well two actually. Did my car leave the factory without EPAS or has it been removed since it did that back in 1997? Also, I just happen to have a complete MGF EPAS Steering column. Will the 1997 non-EPAS car's loom have the necessary connections to enable me to fit that?

Delighted with this car the way it's shaping up and the way it goes ... really well considering 120,000 on the clock. I recently sold the original multi-spoke alloy wheels with good Continental Tyres to a guy who will fit them to his TR7. Net result the car now owes me very little financially. How about that. I now have these more attractive and easier to keep clean six-spoke jobbies on it, previously fitted to one of my Montego Turbos.

Beautifully sunny day in Gloucestershire today. My face is still glowing from being in the sun all day. I hope to use the MGF hood down several times every month of the year... Well 'ard me ... ;)

Good looking little car and goes as well as it looks.

Attachments

See less See more
#1,848 ·
You won't believe it - but I did this:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Sedan

Five years and one month of very entertaining motoring. Just clicked over to 100,000 miles on Friday. Then this today. Oh, the humanity!

Insurance total loss

So - if anyone wants to make an offer for my "M6 TFA" plates - please private-message me. I don't have a car to put them on any more

#1,849 ·
You won't believe it - but I did this:

View attachment 87913

Five years and one month of very entertaining motoring. Just clicked over to 100,000 miles on Friday. Then this today. Oh, the humanity!

Insurance total loss

So - if anyone wants to make an offer for my "M6 TFA" plates - please private-message me. I don't have a car to put them on any more

Bit of filler and some wet and dry and it will be as good as new in a few days :)

#1,853 ·
A full clean and polish, wheels off to get underneath, cleaned the roof with the VAX used the upholstry scrubbing attachment, works well as it sucks the green slime away. i must admit it did look a bit strange doing it roadside as i dont have a driveway so i got some very funny looks. something only a fellow convertible driver can appreciate. Then had to tighten the Alternator belt as it was squeeling like a ***** as it was wet. Started changing the front bulbs to LEDs and Xenons, LED side lights are a bit fiddly to get in due to their shape but they look so much better. Spent the whole day on the old girl.

#1,855 ·
Third day of seriously using my TF and I'm blown away by the experience.

OK so the car has faults - I haven't yet worked out how to keep the door card under the plastic of the door pull, nor the carpet in front of the door under the door seal. The hood clips sometimes need a wiggle to get them to release reliably, I'm starting to realise it gets a tad warm in the boot and I've posted a couple of niggles on here - thanks for the help!

But hey it rocks! It's agile and quick, it's great roof down, and I hope roof & windows down will be cool even in mid-summer. In the colder weather on Sunday the heater was plenty good enough, not even turned on full. The car came with a radio for a bluetooth phone and conversations are possible at reasonable speeds.

Oh and on that Sunday trip I passed a few MR2s. Thinking back I can't EVER remember seeing one with the roof down.

I've long known the nit picking that goes on from the Motoring mafia - Tiff Needell's view might be right on a track but for everyday motoring this is one hell of a nice car to drive. I paid £2k plus £80 of new rear tyre plus car mats which for me makes it terrific value (spoke too soon, waxoyling is 9th May and I wonder what getting it up on ramps will show?).

I also had my first chat about the car with a stranger. The tyre man looked in the bonnet and said there wasn't much luggage space - he thought the engine was in the back until I showed him the boot.

#1,859 ·
Cambelt/Waterpump / oil change (and every other activity you have to do to complete the job) the garage looked like an aircraft accident site at one point.
What a F*****g nightmare to work on, …. whoever designed these cars … enough said ....

But all back together and works fine :rocker:

#1,861 ·
Coolant change. Keep a very close eye on the Temperature gauge for the first hundred miles particularly on a longer hot run.

Time and again K-Series ( is the N Series in the LE500? ) mysteriously suffer so called cylinder head gasket "failure" soon after work involving a coolant change or other engine work involving draining the coolant.

Enjoy ....Good luck.

#1,863 ·
Good for you ... John_P

Iris Blue MGB ... lovely colour.

Wish In still had my Iris Blue MGB I had back in the 1960s. One of the most enjoyable cars I've ever had. This is a digital image of the 6x4 print from way back when.

#1,867 ·
not today but this week...... pulled car out of garage after 2 years put battery on and she started straight away. changed all fluids, new discs and pads all round and put her in for mot this morning at an mg dealer to find anything that needs doing. and she PASSED only 1 advisory faded rear indicator. well chuffed. so roof down and went for celebration run. :)

#1,868 ·
Played with my zip out rear window for the first time (my MGB hasn't got one - too original for that): with & without side windows down, with & without windstop - more wind with the windstop!

...The MR2 count in today's warm sunshine is 1, roof up, still waiting to see my 1st ever roof down one. Saw a Z4 with the solid electric roof... up!!!

#1,876 ·
Nothing new under the sun.

When I bought my first MGB back in the early 1960s, more experienced folks assured me it was not a proper MG. Here's my improper MG with my younger brother Martin alongside. We're both pensioners now and he drives a nice BMW 3-series Cabriolet. That's treason in my books ... :)

A lifelong friend told me the day I took delivery of my new Cinnabar Red MG Metro on 1.1.1983 that it's only a tarted up Metro. I tossed him the keys and he took a drive. He took delivery of a new black one shortly after. Note the registration sequence.

Not only that, I'm also informed that my MGF is a Metro going backwards as all its underpinnings are from the little Rover Metro. Not only that number two: My MG ZT is a tarted up Rover 75 apparently. The latter is definitely not the case. more tarted down to earth sporting version of the extra comfy Rover 75.... :)

We British excel at talking down our own car stuff ..... I strongly suspect that in so doing, they are excusing themselves for buying BMWs and other stuff instead. Human nature and all that.

Funny old game folks and cars.

#1,877 ·
Yesterday was finish painting the new rear discs and adjust the drivers window and try to adjust the cheater correctly. Seems that it's too twisted so really needs replacing :crying: but it's better than it was at least. Treid to do this before but the rear angle adjust at the bottom of the glass guide rail was seized solid. Sprayed it with plusgas a while back and again yesterday and managed to get it moving .......................... Phew!

Door needs a new rain shedder as well but that will have to wait for a while and probably be done whne we can get a new or better cheater and replace the slightly chewed up rear adjuster. The screwdriver slot has chewed up a bit due the amount of pressure needed to get it to move initially.

Now if the new bolts arrive today we can get the rear brakes fitted.

Now as for ZT's..................................... sorry John but I don't like their trim at all .................................. I'll stick with the 75 Connie thank you :)

#1,878 ·
Since MG designed a hydolastic suspension sports car as 1960s Midget which got to the prototype stage, and then the mid-engined MGB replacement got killed by the TR7, there is plenty of provenance for the MGF/TF being a "proper MG". Add in the MG Metro (as in Z Magnette, 1100, 1300 etc being MG derivatives of mundane saloons) and what more "MG" do you need in the MGF/TF?

Oh, and my search for the rare (mythical?) topless MR2 was suspended today as it's been raining so I had my hood up as did everything else I saw.

#1,879 ·
Whooo-Hooo the bits arrived and rear brakes assembled rear brake hoses connected too!

Nowjust need to do a final check for any corroded metal brake lines that have not been noticed yet then we can fill the system and bleed.

Rain has stopped play this afternoon and evening though. It began spitting as I got the N/S/R brake completed then it got quite heavy.

#1,881 ·
Seems it was a day for rear brake work! Jacked up the rear of the F for the first time in what must be coming up two years to assess its condition and was a bit disheartened at the rusty scene (it's been sitting exposed to the sea air in the driveway all that time.) A bit of work with a wire brush and penetrating fluid though, and I was really quite amazed at how decent it was starting to look - a bit more wire brushing then some underseal and I think it may be quite OK. I have a feeling things aren't quite so rosy with the front subframe, but we'll see some other day!

Also started freeing off the various bits of the rear caliper - the handbrake was left off but seems to have seized up anyway, though I've got the pads freed from the disc at least (both look good for plenty more miles.)

Will probably just replace the caliper if it proves problematic, given that reconditioned ones are £40 or less, delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.