MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rover 75 MG ZT Diesel Remap

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Keith Alexander 
#1 ·
Now we all know the Ron's Synergy does a great job on our CDT/CDTi's however on my last CDT I had an Upsolute remap which provided great response in 4th or 5th from 40mph onwards but didn't pull at low revs so I added a tu3b and had great response across the rev range. When I upgraded to my new CDT I added a Synergy2 and although a lot better than standard I still think the response is lacking compared to my old CDT.

So I have been thinking of getting it remapped and there a chap on here called Pocketbike (matt) who has been mapping 45 TD's to around 150bhp and will do the CDT to the same level or maybe more depending on smoke. Matt charges a lot less than the Upsolute/CCtech guys and for about 3 remaps done as a group he has quoted £180.....not bad since the official x-power remap costs £200+ and only takes it up to 135bhp.

I suppose this type of performance enhancement differs from Ron's box in that it is invisable on the car, whether that's good or bad depends on your view point. I would have both the remap and Ron's box although Matt states that he could remap to an equivalent level as the remap and Synergy.

Anyone interested? or your opinions !

Stubs

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree the Upsolute remap is not cheap but it works well. I also agree that at the low end, it still leaves room for improvement and I reckon the best tune is a combination of Upsolute and Ron's Synergy.

Can't comment on the alternative you have found. Do you want to be the guinea pig?

#3 ·
i gave this a lot of thought when modding my cdt and eventually went for rons box!!
i spoke to simon at cct "really nice chap" and reading between the lines he talked his self out of my business.. purely because the upsolute system is non transferable! and Ron's box of tricks can be stripped out and plonked in another motor in minutes..........
sam...... :greeny:

#4 ·
The combination of a mildish remap and Synergy 1 / 2 works very well, giving a very wide spread of smooth strong torque.

I recently remapped my X-type and with the Synergy switched off, the remap is noticeable, more so above 3k rpm and there's a bit more response around 1250rpm but nothing to get excited about.

However, with both working (Synergy on 6) the result is smooth instant torque from 1250, and a big surge starting at 1500rpm. What impresses most though, is the almost petrol like throttle response and sensitivity. Mpg is better by 10% too but my speed creeps up all too easily. It was good to see a 150bhp Vectra disappear backwards.

Quite a few 75/Zt owners have both, as have a few Mondeo and Vectra owners.

Ron

#5 ·
Yep Ron the petrol like reposonse rings true on my old car, hopefully you will take it that I am not knocking the Synergy which does an excellent job and you know that I've recently upgrade from a tub3 to Synergy2 with MAFAM correction so if I didn't like it I wouldn't buy it, but as you say the remap and the Synergy in harmony does seem to offer the nirvana for 75 tuning.

BTW would the Synergy2 need to be reconfigured to be used with a remap?

Stubs

#6 ·
You may need a Synergy 2 reprogrammed but try setting 2/4 or 3/5.

Some engines respond better than others to tuning boxes. Eg Vauxhalls 1.9 150bhp motor produced 198bhp with just a Synergy. Whereas some Fords and Peugoet/Citroens give more top end with a remap than is possible with any plug-in box. So it seems quite reasonable and not that costly to have a mildish remap and a Synergy as well. At least the Synergy is transferable to other vehicles and the overall cost is still less than many tuning boxes if you can get the remap done for £300 or less.

I don't have a problem with any one mentioning remaps because I've enough feedback to know that there is no substitute for a remap + Synergy if you want to take tuning to the next stage.

Ron

#7 ·
My view on remaps that from the copious ads in What Diesel seem all the rage is that they are not all invisible and certainly not invisible from any insurance investigator who if he is half awake will have appropriate tools to see if the cars map has been altered from default.

Even a simple KWP2000 interface and the Swiftec demo software can do that!

Normally remaps cause an error on my Testbook when reading from the engine ecu and it then prompts to rewrite the ecu hence blowing away the map. A not so on the ball techie might just let testbook do that during a diags session a good techie will ask if the car has been remapped.

What I expect is that if you ever take you car in for engine diags the most sensible thing for any techie to do is reflash the ECU to the latest factory default just incase the ECU has been corrupted before fault finding. Hence most remap companies guarantee to reflash for free if this happens, assuming you notice of course as for many petrol cars the remap makes such a small difference you probably would not realise it had even been erased!

The exception is obviously the official Xpower remap so I reckon that and Rons box of tricks is the safest way to go.

One last thing going to ott on the cdt can lead to a lot of strain on the clutch TI Rich reckoned at his max power the torque was able to make his clutch slip so maybe time to consider a pressure plate with a stronger diaphragm.

#8 ·
Ron sad to have to say this but I might be getting a Vectra probably the 120 bhp car as I am entitled to a company car as long as it a Vauxhall :(

I had intended to ask for a car allowance but with fuel prices rocketing a fully funded company car may be the most sensible choice as then the company carries the spiralling fuel costs.

Do you know, are there physical engine differences between that and the 150? I would be interested in a what a Synergy for the 120 CDTi Vectra can do if you do one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.