MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Idle speed too high - engine speed increasing

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  chilljohn 
#1 ·
Hi - Hope someone can help...

recently had an overheating problem - car would not start after this - a couple of mechanincs diagnosed the problem as blown head gasket, 2 cracked pistons,cracked block and slightly worn tappets. - the car now runs OK (ish) but is a little noisy.

The mechanics changed everything except the tappets (ran out of money at this point) - the car has one final problem to get sorted. - when idling at traffic lights etc the engine is revving at about 2500 - 3000 rpm - a quick blip on the accelerator can reduce this to about 500 for a few seconds but then it rises again.

Also if i hit the aircon button the revs will drop and the engine will cut out.

Not sure where to start on this one - any one got any ideas.

Cheers

#3 ·
they cant be very good mechanics if they give you the car back in that condition. take it back and tell them to do the job right.one thing comes to mind is that the so called mechanic has not had the valves and seats reground. overheating can cause the valve seats to warp and become egg shaped. this makes the car run poor and will barely tick over, switch the aircon on and it will cut out. they may have done the job poorly and then turned up the tickover on the end of the throttle body to get it to run but run poorly and at anything between 500 and 3000 revs. i would go for warped valve seats from what youve wrote. i was inexperienced in the k and i learnt the hard way having removed and refitted the head three times. i didnt mess with the tickover screw though.

#4 · (Edited)
does the good old fashioned , turn to 2nd ig push acel pdel up and down fast for 5-6 times turn ig to 0 restart the car work on the newer engines or is this just reserved for hte older ones (the above should or at least use to reset hte idle speed stepper motor ) but im not sure if they have these on hte newer onesor maybe they just didnt leave enough slack on the acell cable ?

or as a test when the car is still what happens if up pull hte gas pedel up via the foot maybe something is sticking ?

then again you should be taking it straight back saying do it right this time lads

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.