MG-Rover.org Forums banner

2000 Rover 45 1.8 Connoisseur VS 2000 BMW 318i saloon

3K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Huff 
#1 ·
what do you think would win 0-60 on my friends private land?

#2 ·
The BMW obviously by a country mile...!

It's got that superior balance and rear wheel drive plus the badge and that ever so reliable never go wrong superior Gerry build quality ... no contest and is a faster colour too ... oh and the head gasket will fail miserably leaving the Rover stranded on the line in a pool of coolant and steam ....

There again, I could be wrong on all that .. some of those Rovers are quite nippy..

I have a question ...

How long is a piece of string ?.... Never got a satisfactory answer to that enigma.

maybe twice as long as from the middle to the ...

What was the question again.

Back around 2000, I once 'matched strides' with that spec BMW 3 series in my ancient MG Montego EFi ( not turbo )... No contest!....The driver of the Gerry built product ( OK RSA ) was most miffed and became quite heatedly aggresive at the next traffic lights.. So I repeated the dose when the green came up .... some people just do not understand... just because there's a BMW badge on it is no guarantee of a fast motor... :rolleyes:

I liked that old car ~ replaced with the MG ZS in 2003 as the family's runabout. Here's my EFi in a favourite colour ~ Silver Leaf... sometimes wish I still had it ... fast and economical ..:~

Sadly, gorn forever now ....

#3 ·
Do a google search and compare 0-60 times, lol.

If you dont like what it shows then check the power to weight ratio website www.letstorquebhp.com as it also takes into account FWD/RWD/AWD. You need to know bhp and kerb weight of either vehicle to make the comparison but it also will show 1/4mile times and 0-100mph times and give a more rounded comparison of the two cars.

RWD always has the advantage in 0-60 runs compared to similar powered and weighted FWD vehicles.

Cheers, James

#6 ·
CORRECTION re: RWD

Not ALWAYS as the recent snowfalls demonstrated perfectly .... lots of BMWs scrabbling for grip going nowhere fast ... whilst my FWD coped admirably... :)

#4 · (Edited)
Can the BMW get to 60 in 2nd gear?

Rover 45 0-60= 9.3

Bmw 318 0-60= 9.3

If the beemer has to change to 3rd before 60, then i reckon the rover would win.

Just checking some 0-60 times for the beemer on your tube, they need 3rd gear to get to 60. Rover would have a very good chance imho, only having to make one change is a pretty big advantage.

#5 ·
Can the BMW get to 60 in 2nd gear?

Rover 45 0-60= 9.3

Bmw 318 0-60= 9.3

If the beemer has to change to 3rd before 60, then i reckon the rover would win.
Good point ~ I suspect BOTH cars would need to select 3rd gear before reaching a genuine 60 mph ~ or 100kph.... not indicated.

9.3 ! Now I know why my 1988 MG Montego EFi left a new 318 for dead ten years ago...

Those Gerries ~ don't like it up 'em Capn Mainwaring .... well, that driver of one didn't anyway ... :rofl:

#8 ·
if it's the 118bhp variant of the 318 (which as a 2000 I'm gonna say it probably is) then I don't think you'd have much trouble seeing him off on the run to 60.

if its the 140bhp model though, then I think your luck may have run out. Having said that though if he's not a particularly competent driver you might have a chance. It took me a while to get the hang of launching my 320.

Too little revs, you bog down, too much and the wheels spin up like crazy. Traction control? It was always turned off in mine :lol:

#11 ·
haha as much as I hate to say it, I think the 1.4 would walk all over a standard diesel in the 0-60.

The gearing really is the derv's weak point. I can barely do 40 in second haha!

My dad and I devised a "test" for cars acceleration. Coming off a crossroads down the road towards our house, there's a house a couple of hundred yards up.

Nail it, see how fast it is when you're level with the gate. My old SDi did 60, streetwise does about 67 (RIIIIGHT at the top end of 3rd, doesn't seem to make a difference if i change to 4th or stay in 3rd), dads jeep is about the same, 66/67ish.

Fastest ever was the TVR, which could hit an indicated 85 :lol: (this, of course, is a private road to our house)

#16 ·
Why is the R45 1.8 not the same 0 - 60 as a ZS120 (8.9) they are the same engine, same body etc. Is the gearing of the ZS different? Many years ago I made a Ti alfasud quicker to 60 than the green cloverleaf versions simply because I fitted an SC gearbox that enabled me to hit 60 in second at 7200 rpm. Didn't make the car faster over all though, just did it for a gimick.
Jim

#31 ·
Not exactly on topic but i like telling the story so thought id post it anyway :D

My ancient Triumph 2500 Auto utterly trounced a 3 series from a standing start at the lights the other day, much to the annoyance of the BMW's young driver. My heart bled for him it really did............ :D

The Triumphs acceleration off the line really is phenomenal for its age, unfortunatley its in-gear acceleration as the auto box moves up from 1st to second is poor so that unsuspecting euro box blown away at the lights soon catches you up again. This is when i really really wish i had a manual........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.