MG-Rover.org Forums banner

noisy blower/heater fan 414 help

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Rover420 
#1 ·
Hi just bought a v reg 414 si. When I turn the blower/ heater fan unless its on full or next to full it does not work, when it is working its really noisy.
Not sure if its the bearing on the fan or do the switches themselves go faulty. The car is under warranty only got it yesterday but suspect this will not be covered, so an idea of price for worse case scenario, also where would you get the parts thanks

#4 ·
It's looks like you have two problems.

Your blower only works on positions 3 and 4 = almost certainly a resistor has blown in the resistor pack.

The blower being noisy when it does work will be down to the blower fan/motor itself.

Both are really easy to remove/replace, and the risk of not getting things put back together again properly is very low.

The resistor pack is a common problem, finding a working one in a scrappy will probably be difficult ... but you'd get proficient at the dismantling procedure soon enough! Refurbished resistor packs do appear EBay, with people charging £15, a new one is about £30.

The blower is fairly noisy at top speed anyway, but it could be something simple like the blades frrring (!) against dead leaves or the bearings being noisy. If you have to replace, I've heard of people paying around £30 for a blower from a scrappy; new ones are about £200 .... ouch.

#7 ·
Hi,

Be sure to find out why the fan is noisy, before you replace the resistor pack. The fan could be noisy because it is not running freely, either because of debris or bearing problems. I think what can then happen is that the fan draws more current that it should and blows some or all of the resistors in the pack.

I recently replaced my fan for £35 pounds from a scrappy and made my own resistor pack following the instruction in this forum.

#8 ·
I had similar problem in my 420. Blower was noisy at speeds II, III and IIII, and once it didn't work at speeds I and II.

I removed the blower motor, which was easy. The blower motor is located at passenger footwell (this in left-hand-drive cars), just behind glovebox. Easy access to motor, just remove the cardboard from top of the passenger footwell (if it is there) and then you'll see wire connector and the bottom of blower motor. Disconnect the wire, unscrew those three bolts, and a bit pull downwards and the motor is on your hand.

In my case, there was lots of debree in the ailerons of the heater motor. Just clean it, and clean the air tunnel towards to pollen air filter. Then just put the motor back to its place and screw the bolts and connect the wire and that's it.

The heater resistor is also easy to change. Just remove the glovebox, and then you'll see bunch of wires going to one connector. The connector bracket has two screws. Unscrew those, and you have the resistor pack on your hands. Renew the resistor pack or fix the broken resistors (that's a bit harder to do and to get those resistors to last...). Screw the resistor pack back to it's place, connect the wireconnector, put the glovebox back, and that's it.

The cleaning of blower motor takes about half an hour, and renewing the resistor pack takes about the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.