MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rover 75 Diesel - infrequent fuel pump?

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  FLYER 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My dad has a 2003 75 cdti. He's had it from new. About a year and a half ago it just wouldn't start. AA man came down and we checked and there was no fuel flow at the fuel filter (low pressure side of the system) so we assumed the fuel pump had died. Had it taken to a dealer and it started working again and they had no idea why.

Car has been fine since and then it did it again the other day. Took back to the same dealer. Again, started working spontaneously and consistently.

Has anyone seen these symptoms before? I know fuel pumps are a common'ish failure, but we're talking an 18 month period of it working fine inbetween so I doubt it'd that.

Perhaps a dodgy intertia switch? Is there a tilt switch on the car anywhere? I'm wondering if loading it up on the recovery truck may have re-set something. It's very strange, and annoying! :0

Thanks

#2 ·
My 02 CDT did a similar thing yesterday.
Going up hill on the M4 it died and wouldn't restart.

RAC gave the wrong diagnosis and towed it to a garage who said it wasn't fuelling they pumped out 15litres and put 20 litres back in and all working fine now (albeit £150 lighter...)

The under bonnet pump was replaced earlier in the year, so am wondering if the intank pump is giving up as it's suffering fuel starvation when the tank is 1/4 full.

#5 ·
Not meaning to hi-jack the thread too much, this is slightly on topic!

But consideing how many pump failures there are, did the system change with the facelift? are the newer cars any more reliable?

newer diesels only have one pump - in the tank. Some Rover dealers will insist on deleting the under bonnet pump and replacing with the newer in-tank pump in the event of pump failure...... I wasnt too happy with this idea so had both replaced.

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.