MG-Rover.org Forums banner

mg zr central locking problem - please help!

23K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Scoobystira 
#1 ·
Hi, all a bit new to this, just joined the forum today.

Seen lots of good stuff here in the past so hoping someone can help.

I've got an MGZR 2004 - problem is the central locking isn't working properly. It opens off the remote fine, but will not lock of the remote. to lock it I have to push down the pass side door knob then get out and lock the drivers door from the key (which arms the alarm ok) then lock the boot.

Would really appreciate any help or advice

cheers all

#4 ·
Yeah the Boot loom can be a ***** and cause all kinds of problems like this!

Just take off the rubber boot on the top right of the boot lid when open, check for broken/worn wires and just tidy them up/repair :)

also make sure your FOB isnt abit gunky or have a broken button!

Can you hear the button itself actually click?

#7 ·
thanks lovel,

I've followed that link, sure it's useful but it's all a bit beyond me i'm afraid. I couldn't even locate the EBU/SCU let alone change relays - D'oh !! would be interested to know where it is though ?? if there's no other possible (simplier -LOL) things I can check then I guess i'm goona have to live with it.
At the risk of sounding like a complete muppet, i was lookin in my trusty haines manual and cannot see the EBU in the wiring diagram for central locking. confused !!

#10 ·
Cheers perks, I did have a good look at the exposed wires mate. A few chaffing marks but no broken or bare wires. I think - as suggested by others - the problem lies within the central locking relay in the bcu/scu. Followed a link posted by someone above, helpful but i'm worried about doing more harm than good. I never used a soldering iron before, if I could get a relacement relay, would need some guideance their. I guess to get the old relay off the board I just use some heat from the iron? Who knows! Would also need/appreciate any tips on soldering the new relay to the board. Gonna have a think whether to tackle this job, would like it sorted though cos othe than this my zr in top nick 04 plate only just over 20k on the clock had it since new

#11 ·
Before doing all that I would take the door card off to have a look inside, could be a mechanical fault. When I did mine there was stuff like chewing gum plastered all over the metal rod that the pin is attached too.

This made it really sticky and the motor was unable to move the pin as there was bit of foam the rod was sticking too, confused the hell out of the central locking!

Plastering a load of grease in there wouldnt hurt too, the above might not be the cause, its only a guess though.

#13 ·
?

tThanks lovewise - already had a nose behind the drivers door card and things seemed ok. Guess I should maybe check pass side though.

lovel - that might be a good option to contact technozen. As im new to this forum. Is there a way I can contact/message him direct?

#16 ·
Hiya guys just registered
Bought the missus a 2004 zr recently and all was fine until yesterday when the remote central locking stopped working, similar problems to the guy above except with the wifes car when you press the fob im getting a clicking noise coming from the boot, il check the loom tonight, is there anything else this clicking noise could be coming from

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.