MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Remove door cards on a Rover 25/MG ZR

Rover 25 / MG ZR 
52K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  Chewier_Rich 
#1 ·
This job is fairly simple and should take around 5mins to do.

Step one: Unscrew the two screws highlighted.

Step two: Remove the grab handle. Gently place a flatheaded screwdriver or a butter knife in a crack and prise it off. Beware, if the clips break you'll have to tape them on like I do.

Once the cover is off, remove the three screws and pull the handle off.

Step three: Remove the door handle surrounds. Again, use a flatheaded screwdriver (maybe put some tissue around to avoid any damage). Holding the handle open will help.

Once the inside part is off, pull the outside part off.

If you have electric windows

Step four: The door card should only be attached by a few clips now (unless you've broken them all off like I did the first time I removed the card). From the bottom corner (opposite corner to the speakers) push it up over the lock.

If you have manual windows

On the winder there will be a spring at the back, use a screwdriver to release the spring. Pull the winder off.
The door card should only be attached by a few clips now (unless you've broken them all off like I did the first time I removed the card). From the bottom corner (opposite corner to the speakers) push it up over the lock.

You may need to remove the mirror trim to get it off.

Now you should be able to access what it is you're trying to get at.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
On the winder there will be a spring at the back, use a screwdriver to release the spring. Pull the winder off.
The door card should only be attached by a few clips now (unless you've broken them all off like I did the first time I removed the card). From the bottom corner (opposite corner to the speakers) push it up over the lock.
Im scared that if i removed the spring from the manual window winder i wont be able to get it back on.

#5 ·
This job is fairly simple and should take around 5mins to do.

Step one: Unscrew the two screws highlighted.

Step two: Remove the grab handle. Gently place a flatheaded screwdriver or a butter knife in a crack and prise it off. Beware, if the clips break you'll have to tape them on like I do.

Once the cover is off, remove the three screws and pull the handle off.

Step three: Remove the door handle surrounds. Again, use a flatheaded screwdriver (maybe put some tissue around to avoid any damage). Holding the handle open will help.

Once the inside part is off, pull the outside part off.

If you have electric windows
Step four: The door card should only be attached by a few clips now (unless you've broken them all off like I did the first time I removed the card). From the bottom corner (opposite corner to the speakers) push it up over the lock.

You may need to remove the mirror trim to get it off.

Now you should be able to access what it is you're trying to get at.

this is a top guide, i cannot open door from outside, and the speakers inop, so gonna do it tomorrow, cheers mate

#15 ·
Thanks for this post. This was the thing I was looking for.

I have no experience with fitting car audio, and was ready to go to Halfords and pay them to install a head unit and door speakers in my Rover 25. The only member of staff there spent a long time talking with another customer, and didn't even acknowledge me, so in the end I just left and ordered a Kenwood head unit from Amazon. I managed to install that without too many problems, apart from not being able to figure out how to attach the steering wheel control wire.

Now I am looking to install a pair of door speakers, because the stock pair seem to lack clarity. This guide is really helpful, but I have some extra questions.

If the clips you are talking about break, how easy is to re-attach the door card?

I believe I will need either 17 or 16.5cm speakers for a Rover 25. Is this right?

Is there a particular brand of speakers that is easy to fit without having to cut materials or modify anything? I am a real dummy when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

It would be good if I didn't have to be a slave to Halfords every time I want to do something with my car.

#17 ·
I don't have any pictures of the door speakers but mine were three hole (screw) speakers that came out and four hole went in. I had to drill holes for self tappers in the door (inside) to fit the replacement speakers. TBH I only paid £30 for the speakers and have found little improvement over the OEM. In fact my Mum took my old speakers to replace her knackered speakers out of a 214 (1990 car) and they were a straight swap.

#19 ·
Just in case there are any noobs like me who are having probs removing the 'spring' for manual windows; It is in fact a horseshoe clip that is located and removed via pulling the actual window winder anote 0.5cm from the door card (U gotta give it some force and it is not something you would do unless u knew u had to!) and pushing the horse clip off the winder barrell. It's a total pain to do even when you know where to look. (dont try to go fumbling around the inside of the door card coz it aint there!) I've added a couple of pics to illustrate exactly where the clip is located. (Sorry they're not the best quality). The clip is a little easier to put back on (not much tho). Push the clip onto the barrell but not all the way, then locate that onto the door barrell and push intno the door until u see the groove for the clip and push the clip right on.

Hope this helps at least some body coz i cudnt find any info on this anywhere.

#24 ·
Just done this on my new (to me at least) Rover 25, 5 door to try to fix the infamous 'super'-locking problem, to some avail.

Removing it was easy enough, but getting it back on is a pain as you have to push the window seal over to get it back in, and you have to fiddle with the mirror adjustment plastic cover as well to try and get it back in.

That was just to add some advice for anyone else trying to do this, but I wouldn't have been able to do it without this guide, so thanks!

#25 ·
THIS!

My friend helped do it a few months back. Cheap as chips part and it all works fantastically.

Getting off reasonable... getting on nightmare. I recommend 2 pair of hands if you are attempting this.

Also echoing my thanks! Would never have attempted it if not for the guides on this site.

#26 ·
Hey I wonder if anybody could help me out, what I'm really looking for us how to remove the fabric style panel that is under the door handle grip. Can this be done once you take off that handle? I want to strip the fabric/re fabric it in leather to match my interior mods.

Cheers
Mollett

#31 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for this, massively useful, just managed to get the card off and confirm that it's the BCU rather than the window motor that's giving me trouble (Streetwise).

Definitely a bit tricky to get it back on, removing the mirror trim helped a bit though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.