MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Under oil filler cap -I could not believe my eyes

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kris214 
#1 ·
Hello,
Could someone please advise me on the following and put me out of my misery soonest.
My son recently bought a Rover 214 actually he got it on Saturday and on the Monday I helped him to check the oil level. The level was slightly high it came up the dipstick to where the profile on the dipstick changes from a flat tape to a thin cylindrical wire.The oil looked to be in reasonable condition ,was not too dark and did not smell particularly burnt.
I asked my son to remove the oil filler cap because I wanted to check for emulsified oil sometimes referred to as salad cream I think. When the filler cap was removed I could not believe my eyes -instead of seeing a nice wet lubricating engine oil there was instead a mid brown tough, no very tough film of what looked to be polymerised oil.
Is this normal or is there something seriously amiss, Is this a cover separating the liquid engine oil below ?
Please excuse me as I do not have a very good knowledge of cars but sufficient to be really concerned about this.
The car is a 1998 model with I think 16 valves.
Thank you in advance for assistance
Paul

See less See more
#3 ·
There is a gasket between the cam cover and the cams that covers the whole of the cam area and is used as a splash back panel. Maybe this is what you are seeing?
You can quite easily take off the cam cover and investigate. Only 12 bolts to remove and the gasket is reusable,

#4 ·
As above, there is a splash back thing where you pour the oil in - so you can't see the cams, valves etc by looking through the oil filling hole. Is this what you mean? If so - sounds perfectly normal to me :)

Other things to check are coolant level / condtion and power steering fluid level (standard clips are naff - replace with jubilee clips).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.