MG-Rover.org Forums banner

cdti, black smoke, also oil leak?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  GERFIX 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I have had this car only 2 months, (2004 cdti) And its been a pain, On accelaration, it blows out black smoke, my last car (which I should have kept) was a 2001 cdt, no problem with that, 50mph on a run, 32mph knocking about, my cdti still does 50 on a run but 27/28 knocking about,? the other thing with this one is black oil drips down from the bottom right of the radiator ,near where the two large rubber pipes enter and exit from the intercooler, Is there any oil pipes down there . or is what I fear the turbo oil seals leaking and blowing through, Dont have any problems like this with my 49 riley, :scary: TB>

#2 ·
Hi everyone, I have had this car only 2 months, (2004 cdti) And its been a pain, On accelaration, it blows out black smoke, my last car (which I should have kept) was a 2001 cdt, no problem with that, 50mph on a run, 32mph knocking about, my cdti still does 50 on a run but 27/28 knocking about,? the other thing with this one is black oil drips down from the bottom right of the radiator ,near where the two large rubber pipes enter and exit from the intercooler, Is there any oil pipes down there . or is what I fear the turbo oil seals leaking and blowing through, Dont have any problems like this with my 49 riley, :scary: TB>
Don't know if you are familiar with any of the following from your previous motor but here goes...
Check and possibly replace your PCV assembly. It is located in front of the air filter and accessed with the engine cover removed. If this is bunged up it can cause a lot pf pressure in the crankcase which can send oil out of the dipstick tube or worse blow a gasket somewhere. They are about £35 from BMW or Land Rover. Also, check and clean your EGR assembly. Ideally fit a bypass for about £50 off ebay. This won't cause any pressure as above but it will certainly help with the general running of the car. You should probably check your MAF sensor too as it may be out of spec (this can happen from as low as 30k miles). This is on the left of the air filter as you look from the front of the car. Simply disconnect it and replace the air filter cover. If you feel the car responding better at lower revs and see a reduction in smoke then that may be part of the cause. You may also want to modify the air intake at the slam panel so that the engine is breathing a little better (it may help with the black smoke a little).
Unfortunately a combination of all these factors may indeed mean that you already have blown seals somewhere. BTW what mileage is on your car?

#3 ·
Quite possibly just the intercooler seals blowing or a split/loose intercooler hose. It's a common fault. Oily air will blow out and over time will make the area around the hoses quite oily. If this is the case the engine will overfuel and hence lead to black smoke/poor mpg. Had this problem on mine, fairly easy to sort out, try a search on intercooler seals etc.

#4 ·
thanks gerfix and slammer, regarding your question gerfix, thanks to the forum, and chaps like you, I have checked the air filter (clean) replaced I believe only 1000 miles ago, ( mileage on vehicle 39950) checked (and cleaned pcv valve (yesterday) was filthy) Did A oil change at work last night, and today smoke is minimal ? But this afternoon and evening, got stuck in on that oil leak, yes slammer spot on, The plastic elbow which fits inside the intercooler, which should have seals(O/rings) did not have any , just some black plastic tape,(dont know what pilock did that) Had to get my thinking cap on regarding new seals (had smaller and larger) then I thought of the size needed (50mm approx ) and came up with 45mm plumbing pipe elbows, which I had some new ones , so took the o/rings out, And used those, seem to fit, I hope should be ok, soon tell tomorrow, when I put it all back, TB.

#5 ·
Glad you got it sorted TB. Hopefully your plumbing rings will do the job. If not, I got some rings from a local seal supplier which fit very well as recommended here. These are 47.23id x 3.53. Made from viton, very high resistance to oil etc. You probably have a local supplier who could supply the same. Amazing what some people will do to 'seal' that i/c pipe, mine had one seal which was far too small and thin as an elastic band, no seal at all in fact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.