MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Location of the Coolant Temp Sensor?!?

15K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  YasmineGotham 
#1 ·
Afternoon ppl,

Just wondering if anyone has a picture showing where the coolant temp sensor is located? My car is only getting around 200miles to £35 and i've read on these forums that this could be the culprate? If anyone else has any other ideas then they would be appreciated. My car also struggles a wee bit now and again.
I know its not he ignition system as i've changed both coil packs and ht leads along with spark plugs. Giving the engine a flush on saturday aswell as fuel filter change and oil filter change. Really hoping i can get my car running well for an extended period of time.

Hoping someone has a solution other than paying out top dollar.

Cheers Scott

#2 ·
well, when i changed my fuel filter, i noticed a massive change in tickover smoothness, the fact that you could see rust coming out with the petrol in the filter proberbly wasnt helping things :lol:, dont see how engine temp would greatly effect economy, unless it thought it was always cold, and was permanently on choke? then youd pi** through it!!

#6 ·
Ah right....the thing that has the electric feed attached to it on the elbow? Thought it was that but wanted to double check.
Well i think fuel filter could do the job, luckily i've got my fuel filter ready to change.

There's also a fair bit smoke/steam coming out the exhaust?? Could this be caused by clogged fuel filter?

Cheers Scott

#7 ·
wouldnt of thought so really, smoke would suggest burning oil, that and its cold so its gonna look like its smoking more than usual anyway, yeah get that fuel filter changed, takes about ten mins, id ptfe the threads on it though, mine leaked a bit without, could be halfords sh** filter though!!

#8 · (Edited)
I'm hoping with me getting a Bosch (i think) Fuel filter, it should be a good one. I've also bought **5-40w** (Sorry thought it was 5-30w) Mobil S oil, i'm hoping this is ok? Especially as i paid £45 for 6 litres lol.
I haven't got the slightest clue when my car was last serviced as i did the stupid thing of getting a car with no service history! Doh! My aim is to try and renew or refurbish the majority of the parts on my car to get it running as new. These forums have helped alot even tho i haven't done anything major lol.

Cheers
Scott

#9 ·
Grey or black smoke is oil, white is vapour, most common causes of white smoke are moisture build up in the exhaust and evaporates due to heat, as seen in most cold mornings or coolant leak.......

Hows your coolant? Nice pink colour and always staying at half way after engine cools? Run you finger/dry paper towel around the back of the Inlet Manifold and check there are no damp areas to rule out possible IM gasket failure.

Might be a good idea to get yourself a Haynes book mate......:broon:

#11 ·
Yeah i read that Sean but when i put in my car details on Opie Oils the 5-40w showed up. Am i taking a chance with that?
I really think i have a coolant leak tbh. On Saturday i'm going to be renewing my coolant bottle so will be flushing the radiator and renewing the coolant and maybe also renewing the inlet manifold gasket so hopefully it will sort it.

Touch wood its not the dreaded HGF! Really can't be affording that right now lol.

Cheers for the replies!

Scott

#12 ·
Known causes of coolant leak are IM gasket and the Coolant Cap.......Would doubt the bottle to be the prob tbh.......

Start with the cheap/easy parts first. New Cap. Replace IM gasket. By the sounds of it the IM gasket has gone and is leaking coolant through the system, hence why you are getting excess white smoke........

#13 ·
Well i've recently fitted a new coolant cap so hopefully its just the IMG. How hard is it to fit? I've seen the 'How to...' but still a little bit unsure....
Could this lead to HGF? or would that only happen if i let the coolant run dry and overheat? I've been keepin a close eye on my coolant so hopefully i'm reducing the chances.

Thanks again for the replies.
Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.