MG-Rover.org Forums banner

heater fan not working on 1 and 2

9K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  jackdaw 
#1 ·
Hi all

I have a 2000 45 1.8 and the blower is not working on 1 and 2 ...is this the actual control or the fan unit
also can you replace bulb in the clock

ta
dave

#9 ·
Both the blower and clock backlight seem to be common faults judging by posts on this forum.

If you fancy your chances with a bit of very simple soldering, it's worth considering replacing the resistors as per the thread rather than getting a replacement pack from the scrappies - you'll have to find one that works and hope that it lasts a while. The original coil resistors don't appear to be all that robust.

Unless you have small fingers and can reach/remove the clock backlight just by taking out the head unit, you're stuck with having to remove the centre console. There's a thread/'how to' here -

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=138072&page=2

Out of interest, do the heating elements in your mirrors work ok?

#10 ·
Loads of ebay items listed to recify the 1&2 blower speed problem, some offer repair, others offer upgraded coils. I am worried; that anything other than the original resistors may cause other problems to this troubled wiring nightmare !!! They have variable life spans; guess it depends on how often you use the different settings on the dial. 2 is the favourite; not too noisy !

#12 ·
Dont bother with the rover ones (if you can get them even), nip to Maplins, the one(s) you want are P/No H1R & they are 40p each. Did mine a month ago took about 1/2 hour & it's a doddle, just make sure the terminals are clean before you solder! Clock bulbs can only be got from Rover spares stockists (unless someone knows different) P/No, XDG100040 approx £3.80!! Bugger to fit as you have to remove the console to get the clock out.

#14 ·
Afraid I have to take issue with you on that forestred,

1/ the clock bulb on mine went, went into local Wilco carmasters shop, and was told it was a standard over the counter bulb and was 79p (but take old one to show them).

2/ Maybe then my 51 45 is differant to everyone else's. Took head unit out and by reaching up behind clock got bulb out, but gave up after half an hour of fiddleing and swearing trying to get new one in. So, I looked closer and saw clock unit is clipped into console unit, so released the two bottom clips with small screwdriver and the clock came out in my hand, replaced bulb, and clipped back in, done, 30 secs.

#16 ·
No need to take issue Mr Fensome my friend!!!!:bgrin2:
My car is a 400 so it must be different to the 45, I wrongly assumed the clocks were the same:getcoat: . On the 400 the clock is held in place with 2 nuts & unless your hands are 1" wide with extra joints on your fingers is virtualy impossible to remove without taking out the centre console (my experience only, please don't take issue if there is an easier way!! :rolleyes: )The 2 bulbs in the 400 clock are set into a plastic holder & I couldnt see how to separate them, took them to various dealers & was told they had to be obtained from a Rover stockist. If the bulbs can indeed be separated from their holder then please enlighten me!

#19 ·
Open the glove box up this morning to expose the RESISTORS,, yes they are broken on the thin coil. Tried to link the 2 ends together, to see if the slow speeds would work but only got a burning smell. Will buy a recon. item off ebay. The slow speeds worked momentarily but a final fix is needed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.