MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Clicking Noise From the Back Of the Car

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bazman01 
#1 ·
Hi All

You may have seen my previous threads relating to my poor car. Has some erratic idle problems(sometimes), won't start for no reason(sometimes), and now it has starting making a clicking noise from somewhere under back seat/near rear wheel area.

At first I thought it was my son kicking something, and when the noise didn't stop even after me telling him, I stopped the car and got out to do a Homer and strangle him. To mt eternal dismay, I found out I could hear the noise from outside too. Oh and it wasn't him. Bugger.

It only seems to happen when I have just started the car, more especially if it has been sitting a while. Happens for about 30 seconds or so then stops.

Would I be right in assuming that, along with the other problems, it is more likely to be the pump in the tank that I have been reading all the horror stories about?

Car has just turned 100K, and I mean just, think the stuff on these cars are set to break around then from what I read.

#3 ·
it has starting making a clicking noise from somewhere under back seat/near rear wheel area.

It only seems to happen when I have just started the car, more especially if it has been sitting a while. Happens for about 30 seconds or so then stops.

Would I be right in assuming that, along with the other problems, it is more likely to be the pump in the tank that I have been reading all the horror stories about?
NSR may also be the location of a pump for the fuel-burning heater, if you have one fitted. Does it only happen when the outside temperature is low?

#4 ·
NSR may also be the location of a pump for the fuel-burning heater, if you have one fitted. Does it only happen when the outside temperature is low?
Actually now that you mention it, there is like a radiator type thing under tha back , and the last week or so is the first time since I have had it that it has been below freezing temperature, to fuel burner might be right enough. However does the clicking indicate it is igniting the fuel burner then, or that it isn't?

#6 ·
The radiator is on the off-side. That's for cooling unused diesel returning to the tank.

Don't know enough about the FBH, but if the pump (near-side) had a faulty solenoid, it might just click on and off. Just a wild guess, though.

If it's the off-side, the primary fuel pump is under the passenger seat. That would be more consistent with the other symptoms. There are lots of threads on this pump - if not replaced soon after going faulty, it will cause excess wear and premature failure of the secondary pump as well.

#7 ·
When I went out this morning hoping to double check which side the clicking was coming from. But it wasn't cold and it didnt click.

Should I assume then that it was the fuel burner? I will double check again which side of the car it was on should it happen again. Might change the pump anyway, but I was hoping to not to as my air con has a leak from somewhere, and I wanted to get that fixed.

I put it back into the garage i bought it from to get fixed as it was overheating and leaking, but it sounds as though all they have done is bodged the fan motor to the air con switch, and it is running at constant speed whenever the air con is turned on. They said they couldnt find a leak, and yet 6 weeks later its empty again.

*****. I'll never by a car from Broadwood Car Stadium in Cumbernauld again that's for sure. Who said Dick Turpin was dead?

#8 ·
Hi All

You may have seen my previous threads relating to my poor car. Has some erratic idle problems(sometimes), won't start for no reason(sometimes), and now it has starting making a clicking noise from somewhere under back seat/near rear wheel area.

At first I thought it was my son kicking something, and when the noise didn't stop even after me telling him, I stopped the car and got out to do a Homer and strangle him. To mt eternal dismay, I found out I could hear the noise from outside too. Oh and it wasn't him. Bugger.

Car has just turned 100K, and I mean just, think the stuff on these cars are set to break around then from what I read.
The clicking noise is most likely the fbh solenoid diesel pump.It is situated on the drivers side in front of the rear wheel.The clicking noise means that it is working!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.