MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Heater not working

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Bobdope2002 
#1 ·
Hi , I have a 98 Rover 400 1.4 .The heater is not working . I have topped up the coolant 50/50 but there is a small leak that appears to be coming from under the car. Is there a thermostat and how serious is this problem Can someone advise
Regards
Tony

#5 ·
if you have an airlock like the major says, there are 5 steps

1)Take top of water bottle

2) Set the heater to hot

3)now look at the radiator, right at the bottom you will see a pipe that leads onto a steel pipe, carry on and you will see a 8mm bolt,

4)Undo this, when water starts to appear through the screw tighten back up

5)Place bottle top back on:lol:

And thats it hope that sorts it.

Good Luck :D

#7 ·
Thanks to you bobdope (love the handle) .So the heater is not working as I said and currently the water/antifreeze is leaking when I start up the car. You say this is an air lock. Would it be safe to drive the car to a garage or do the process you suggest in my driveway.Thanks tony

#8 ·
I had the head gasket replaced 12 months back . Could the fact my heater is not working and there is a leak be a HGF again. Espensive problem I know Fan is working just produces cold air
Is it also possible the thermostat needs to be replaced.
WOULD A LEAK BE THE CAUSE OF AN AIR LOCK
AS it has been suggested I might have an air lock .
One more thing ,Would I be advised not to drive the car to a mechanic or try to solve the problem in my driveway.
Any help would be appreciated. Tony (a musician)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.