MG-Rover.org Forums banner

K Seal does work...period.

27K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  george.edwards 
#1 ·
Hello - with my recent suspected head gasket failure, and leaky water pump, I decided to invest in K Seal.

I've seen some people on here say that it works ok, and justify that it's not one of the products "that will block one of the K Series' narrow water ways writing off the engine".

Note the following post from Ashy, found on another thread:

I've used it, it works and fixed a very bad HGF on a Vi, it doesn't block waterways in my experience.
I stripped the engine down after using it for a while and posted pics up here to prove it. Not a blocked waterway in sight. It doesn't work that way.

I would guess most people here are just speculating and jumping on the 'Oooh don't use that in the K series' bandwagon, but have never actually used it.
Granted there are products that can be bad for the K series, but K seal doesn't seem like one of them.
Loads of people have had success with this stuff and I know a few garages that actually stock the stuff for customers who want a quick cheap fix.

Well I can confirm this, and I agree.

Today I shook it up, as directed, and added it to some water and put it into the header tank. Then I drove to college, by which time the engine was at it's normal temperature. I then got out, went to college, and noticed that the majority of the leak from the water pump had stopped :rocker: .

I thought, sceptical - Nah! Just a coincidence, nothing has changed.

So then I finished college, later in the day, drove the car off and pulled up at the fuel station. Then I filled up, came back, and the water leak had completely stopped from the water pump! Before, it used to truly POUR out of the water pump, but now it's completely stopped!

What's more, it's stopped stuttering, the white smoke has disappeared, and there is no mayo in the oil. I'm very impressed!

Suffice to say, the head gasket is being replaced at the weekend by someone who was recommended to me from here, so this was only a temporary fix - not a bodge!

But, buy in confidence, it worked fine for me!

See less See more
#5 ·
I know of people with condemed Rovers that have saved their engines with this stuff as it can repair problems where a simple gasket swap will not.

Put it this way if you have an aged Rover only worth a few hundered quid, HG repair may not be viable. K seal may just keep the old girl on the road for a while longer.

I carry a bottle in the car all the time now. If the unfortunate did happen miles away I have the K seal and the water in the car ready to get me home.

In some cases it may prove to be a very lasting repair in others it may not. However it does actually work and is not snake oil. That has been proved.

#7 ·
Put it this way if you have an aged Rover only worth a few hundered quid, HG repair may not be viable. K seal may just keep the old girl on the road for a while longer.
You hit the nail on the head there, ashy. That is exactly the situation with my aging 200 where the cost of replacing the failing HG was just not worth it. A quick coolant drain, system flush and refill including some K seal which I did before Christmas has stopped the water loss it was suffering and has bought me time to get a new car sorted out.

So yes, K seal has worked for me too :)

#6 ·
Well done you :) Even the AA carry this stuff and like you say, a lot of people get confused with the old radweld which is different.

I too have used K seal and am impressed with the results, while it didn't unfortunately stop the leak.. ended up loosing about 200ml a day instead of a half a litre. It did stop the white smoke.. and rough engine.

I think what is key here is its a get you home treatment.. Although it is sold as a permanent fix. I am sure most members are like me, if they can't trust the car.. they won't enjoy it.. So yup might last a day..a week..a month...year etc.. but it is always sods law that it will go..when you need it most, Its always better to have the job done correctly, not just that but you will find out why it went in the first place.. Using K seal will just hide the problem and could ultimately make it worse.

But personally. K seal worked for me.. you and quite a few other people I know.. A quick fix.. get you home or until you have the cash to do the job properly...but as long as it does get done, I can't see a problem with the stuff.

Sean

#8 ·
wonder how many people who have just bought a K-series engined car ..not knowing that this stuff is in it disguising the hgf fault.

i don't think you should promote the product here ...there maybe many ..unscroupulose people viewing this forum ...and taking note on how they can resell their bugggered k-series engined car...as a good sound car ...me thinks

#18 ·
Well all I can say to that is it's up to the buyer to be aware of what they are looking for when buying a car. If they aren't then they should have someone who is look at it.

It would be quite obvious to someone who has mechanical knowledge that there is a bodge going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.