MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Throttle body cleaning

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Movies 
#1 ·
I'm about to clean the throttle body on a rover 200.
Should I dismantle the body to clean, are there any parts that shouldn't be touched.
Also I need to replace the green o-ring but can't source one from anywhere.

Mike

#2 ·
Dont need to dismantle at all mate. I use induction system cleaner which takes all the s*** out from inside. If you want to do a proper job, take the two pipes off the side of the tb and spray into them aswell. Have the engine running when you clean it through so you can really get the spray into everything and your inlet manifold.

#10 ·
How long did it take u to do this?
is there anywhere i can get a step by step on how to do this?

i avent tried anything like this b4 on any car. mine has started to rev even in neutral without the throttle being touched. the other night it was doing 4000 revs and continued to rise, so i turned ignition off, but after that the car wouldnt start.....

#11 ·
Just get a can of Carb/Throttle body cleaner.

Remove the Elbow connecting the throttle body to the Airbox/Your filter, then whilst revving the car spray directly into the throttle body (try to hit the sides etc, so you don't miss any spots). It's not needed very often on modern fuel injected cars, erratic idle is probably a failed inlet manifold gasket.

#12 ·
Just get a can of Carb/Throttle body cleaner.

Remove the Elbow connecting the throttle body to the Airbox/Your filter, then whilst revving the car spray directly into the throttle body (try to hit the sides etc, so you don't miss any spots). It's not needed very often on modern fuel injected cars, erratic idle is probably a failed inlet manifold gasket.
Thanx 4 the info (as im female) lol
when the car has been on tick over the revs r normal, its just wen the car has been running, after a while it has a mind of its own and just goes up the revs like no 2morrow.
it has happened once or twice before, but then i could touch the throttle and the revs wud return back to normal.
its jus recently over the last week, the revs havent let up wen i do that, and wen i switch the car off, it wont start again, needs to either bump or jump start it.

#19 ·
I've just done this on mine... it did indeed feel a bit more free when revving but didnt fix my erratic idle or very slow return to low revs when taking foot off.

i didnt spray into the extra pipes tho I'll try that next...

btw is it normal for the car to hate having that carb cleaner sprayed into it? kept spluttering and nearly stalling when I was doing it :err: I'm guessing its just because it's expecting fresh air...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.