Rover 214 starting problems again! - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > Others

Old 07-01-2006, 00:04   #1
pslaney

Car: Rover 200 (-95)
Rover 214 starting problems again!

OK, I know this is a much talked about issue but I also have a real annoying intermittent starting issue with my 214i 8v (boxed shape) Rover.

Seems to only not start when wet / cold. When it does start it runs perfectly. When failing to start the engine turns fine (although very infrequently there is a minor hesitation) and I have done the following:

Replaced plugs, leads, cap, rotor, coil and earth straps. I have also cleaned all battery contacts and checked contacts to ECU.

Basically there is no ignition (i.e. no HT from coil) at all so obviously not a fuel thing.

I have also tried disarming fully the alarm with security code but to no avail. I can only assume the problem is either with the crankcase sensor (although I would expect problems when running as well with such a fault) or the ECU? What's really annoying is that the starting is intermittent so, many times, I think I have solved it only to find it will not start a few days later......AHHHHHH!!

Any more ideas?
pslaney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2006, 00:10   #2
dannylee

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Hi pslaney,

I'm not entirely sure, but i've had a similar problem with starting. It was tracked down to the connector to the starter motor, it gets caked in crap and therefore doesn't give a good connection, its down to it being in a place where water and dirt from the road can get to it. Maybe this is the problem. Mine was fine one this was done, however the Starter Motor went on me a few months after, whether or not it was down to the bad connection I dont know.

Maybe someone else may have some other ideas?

Cheers
Danny
dannylee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2006, 00:19   #3
pslaney

Cheers Danny,

I will check this although I would have thought that poor connection to the starter would cause poor turnover? In my case the starter turns fine. Did yours still turn over OK with the poor connection?

Peter

Old 08-01-2006, 21:43   #4
pslaney

Have checked the crankcase sensor (when the car was working) using an oscilloscope. When the car does not start I will try again and compare the results. I hate intermittent faults!!

Old 09-01-2006, 00:02   #5
dannylee

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Hi Peter,

No it didn't turn over poorly, it was either a straight no way i'm not starting or fired up straight away. In my case it happened in Whitby carpark and then it didn't start at all after that. When turning the key, the car powered up, fuel pump kicked in but when trying to turn over....nothing. At first I thought it was the ECU not disabling the imobiliser but when the AA (best purchase I ever made btw) came out, he just chopped the end off and fitted a new slide-on connector. Never had a problem since (well, with that particular fault anyway lol).

Having a few starting problems at the moment myself as well though, seems to take a few turns before it fires sometimes. Am putting it down to all the work that was recently done (HGF, Valve replacement and timing belt) as never had the problem before. Had a rover metro rio before this (great little car with only 4 gears lol) and had a few starting problems with that also.

It seems to struggle sometimes if I turn the engine off and then start it again straight away, dont suppose you know what that could be do you? I was thinking maybe the injectors aren't clearing properly and its flooding a bit?

Its worth noting though, when the HG and valve burnt out the car struggled to start similar to the above. No water loss is there?

I cant really complain about the car though, great to drive and really good in the corners, just I think mine is starting to show its age (106K miles) and its starting to get a little rough around the edges.

I'd be interested to see the results as per your recent post. Let me know.

Danny
dannylee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2006, 20:14   #6
pslaney

Have found the problem!

It was the crankcase sensor! I did scope readings when the car started and when it wouldn't and the sensor was basically not pumping out enough volts for the ignition signal when cold. Got a spare from the breakers and now the car fires every time (and we have had some cold mornings the passed 2 weeks)!

It is possible to test the device with a voltmetre. Obviously you need to do this test when the car is not starting. Disconnect the plug from the sensor and attach a voltmetre to the terminals comming from the senor itself. Set voltmetre to AC and crank the engine (may need someone to help). The engine will definately not start now but you should get around 2v AC comming from it. If you are getting much less (my faulty one was about 0.5v) then this is probably the problem.