Fault code P0170 help ? - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > Others

Old 01-02-2006, 20:39   #1
staceyzr105

Car: MG ZR
Angry Fault code P0170 help ?

I have been having an intermittent fault in my 1.4 ZR for some time now. It was in the dealer many times prior to the warranty expiry, but the problem persists. The engine develops a real roughness as if off cylinder / cylinders, loses power, sometimes stalling, worse on very cold mornings. The MIL has lit only on a couple of these occasions. I purchased a scantool for less than the dealer charges for a diagnostic test (thanks Rover Ron). On first scan, fault codes were stored for missfire in cyl no 3 and the P0170 fuel trim code. I replaced the no. 3 ignition coil, erased both codes, all was well for about a week. Now the P0170 code is back, MIL is lit, no missfire recorded, though the engine was eratic this morning (very cold). Does anyone know what causes this code? The car has an X-Power rear silencer, and an induction kit, though the fault has been present even with these modifications removed. There does seem to be excessive water drips and water vapour from the exhaust. The coolant level and oil level is static. The dealer, after a lot of persuasion, did replace the head gasket and have the head resurfaced, as I had been convinced I was experiencing the first signs of head gasket failure. This had no effect. The fuel consumption also seems excessive, though I haven't recorded the actual usage accurately yet. Only thing I can think to try is maybe the airflow sensor? Has anyone suffered similar symptoms? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stacey the yellow submariner.
staceyzr105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 20:50   #2
roverman243

Car: Fiesta ST
does the vehile have a missfire,
I would suggest takeing to plugs out and checking around the top to see if its black
roverman243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2006, 20:55   #3
Dr Dave
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
Fault code p0170 relates to; Fuel trim bank 1 malfunction. Possible causes; Intake leak, AIR system, fuel pressure/pump. Injectors, EVAP cannister purge valve, HO2S.

Start with the basics - I'd be looking for inlet air leaks firstly.

Old 01-02-2006, 20:57   #4
staceyzr105

Plugs were replaced, have been checked since, seem quite normal. Engine runs well at all other times. I also replaced the temperature sensor.

Old 01-02-2006, 20:59   #5
Dr Dave
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
Do you have any freeze frame data when the fault occurs? That might help....

Old 01-02-2006, 21:01   #6
Brad Pitt

Car: Other Manufacturer
You said that after one of the coils was changed, it was OK.

Could it be another coil breaking down.

I know on the VW/Audis they started replacing all the coils.

The ECU uses MAP to measure load so it does not have an air flow meter.

It does have an inlet air temp sensor though, but I am not sure a fault here would produce the symptoms you describe.

You could try disconnecting it and running it to make sure it still runs the same.
Brad Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2006, 21:06   #7
staceyzr105

Unfortunately not, it has been so eratic, I have no live data from when the problem is actually happening (I'm usualy late for work at the time). I know that spraying some WD40 around the inlet manifold when the fault was there would show if air was leaking in, but any other tests other than replacement? Does a poor fuel pump not normally get noisy first? On road test with the lap-top plugged in, all readings inc. the O2 sensors appear OK (to me), one sine wave, one relatively flat.