MG-Rover.org Forums banner

That middle drain hole so near to the ecu

25K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Stu C 
#1 ·
Here goes :- Since my car wasn`t put together in the best possible way ie sunroof drain pipes not connected I`ve become slightly paranoid about ingress of water.Hope this helps for anyone who does not know where the middle drain hole is on there Rover 75 /MG ZT etc.

Engine bay drivers side with leaf grill removed.

Closer picture of pollen/air filter (thick red cable is my added amp!)

Oh look a drain right by the ecu (no worry 6 inch of water trapped may kill it !)

Found a wooden pole that fitted drain hole ,pushed out mushy old leaves through car on to drive.

Passenger side has a blank grommet so more water can travel to middle drain (Mk feature on mgzt)White arrow at extra cost.

Found a carrot fingered person with small terminal driver to help unblock drivers side open grommet.

Hope this helps anyone with water ingress at the front of the car.

Sunroof problem after connecting the drain pipes & using tie wraps to hold them on, took me 6weeks to dry the car out (32k list price car, not bitter - not half)

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent photos Zed, and great for people who don't know about the ecu flooding problem......I was one of those until recently when my ecu went down. Cost me over £1000 to get it diagnosed and replaced and also had to wait about 7 weeks for the new ecu to arrive. At the bottom of the drain hole is a connicle shaped bit of rubber pipe so I've been told, and it also helps to keep the water flowing if this is removed.

#5 ·
Thanks for this - bought a 75 tourer - connoisseur SE, 52 plate at weekend. Read this and have just been out and cleared that centre drain. It was well clogged up. Running free now - used one of those siphon things that you can pick up for a quid at shows to pump hot soapy water thro it. So thanks for advice! PS what a great car, my previous was a 97 XJ6 which i always thought - how can i better that! I think i have! Phil

#7 ·
Tis is good to know

I have just bought an 02 plate 75 club with the 2.0 diesel motor and i was thinking about having the ECU re-maped im glad i seen this as i dont fancy shelling out the cash then the next day it going fizz pop because of a few leaves. I will now be checking this when i get the car and giving it a good clean out great pics aswell much easier to understand where it is now cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.