Rover 45 automatic gearbox problems - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400

Old 10-07-2006, 08:01   #1
Gunnar

Car: Rover 75
Rover 45 automatic gearbox problems

I have a Rover 45 -2000 with automatic gearbox. For a couple of months I have had problems with the gears not showing on the drivers display and the gearbox not shifting from "safe-mode". After one or two of kilometers the warning light comes on and a higher gear is selected (if I choose N the light goes out). This problem disappears after a day or two, but comes back frequently.

I have worked in Bosnia the last year and I had a Rover garage in Zagreb check it out but they could not find anything. Any good ideas?

Regards

/Gunnar
Gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 16:57   #2
El Brenty

Car: GMC Safari, Rover 45 1.8 Impression S
I'm having a similar problem with my 1.8 Auto. This morning, driving up the slip road to join the motorway, the engine started screaming at me, realising something was wrong, pulled over straight away.

Tried reverse, okay, then driving forward again, realised the car wasn't changing out of first gear. Then noticed that there was a warning light (manual tells me it's the transmission warning light). Called the AA, they took a look at it, and decided it was best to tow it to the gearbox company that had only just rebuilt the gearbox some weeks before (that is a story in itself).

When we arrived at the gearbox company, the AA man noticed that the warning light had gone out, something the gearbox company said would happen if the car was turned off and on again. So, with it at the gearbox company at the moment, their diagnostic wouldn't talk to the car's computer, so they have no idea at the moment what the warning was for. I've had to leave it there for them to resolve.

Just completely fed up of the constant gearbox-related problems that I feel should have been sorted out thoroughly in the first place when I paid for a full rebuild.

Will post an update when I have more news about what is wrong should it help anyone here in the future.

Update:

I took it back to the company that rebuilt it in the first place. I don't have much faith in them to be honest. They said it was throwing up a P0500 fault (Vehicle speed sensor), that their computer couldn't talk to the ECU properly, and loads of other faults were being thrown up. They told me I needed a new ECU at £350, but they were unable to source one.

Took the car to the local garage who had a quick look at it, confirmed the faults being reported, unfortunately, they were away for holiday, so took it to another local gearbox company, who whined about not knowing the problem because they hadn't rebuilt the gearbox, the car has been with them for about 2 months while they bu**ered around with trying to find a unit for testing. They then told me they couldn't get a testing unit, so decided a purchase was necessary, at £175. So, waited for them to get one, they tried 2 suppliers, then eventually after chasing up told me to collect the car, because they couldn't help further. What is wrong with gearbox companies! The finaly week they had the car, they did nothing to persue a solution, and I'm collecting it later today.

TOP TIP:

What I did discover that may be a help to anyone here, if you have this gearbox fault, when the car is reset (after turning it off and on again), put it into Manual mode and move up to second gear. So long as you keep the revs under 2000, and under about 50mph, you can drive the car about, so it isn't completely dead in the water.

I did also find out that the wrong type of spark plugs can cause ECU faults, and to avoid NGK plugs. I'll be interested in seeing what plugs I have in there when I collect it.

I've tried looking for a replacement part on my own, but it seems that there are none listed within the UK in stock. The list price (probably trade) should be about £112+VAT. So, what is my next course of action? I'm contacting an ECU repairers to see if they can actually repair it. They say it's not one of their listed repair items, but they are happy to take a look, and won't charge if they can't help.

Last edited by El Brenty; 06-10-2010 at 14:57.
El Brenty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 23:37   #3
Thompsons65

Car: Rover 45
Unhappy Rover 45 gearbox problems

I was very interested to read this post as I have just experienced the same problem. exactly. I also worked out that you can re set by turning off and on, and that you can get arount by staying below 50mph!
I took the car to my garage for a diagnosis and they recommended an auto gearbox centre about 30 min drive away. After a lengthy discussion with the lady on the phone I was assured that the very most that a repair would cost will be £1260 + oil + VAT! Ouch! But I have a warranty, so I discussed with them and I reluctantly agreed for a check ( as I could expect a large bill and a useless car) They plugged it in and produced some error codes which they provided to the warranty co.
then it took a couple of days waiting for nothing and with no car so I went to take the car back while at least I could use it.
Its been a nightmare. THe car went back in again last week to be stripped and they have now come up with a quote of £1860 + oil + VAT!!!
Not the poor car's fault but for that money I would expect a new or recon box!
There is now a possibility that the warranty wont pay as the cost is way more than the value of the car! which leaves me rather frustrated, sad, and with a bill for a useless car.
Any suggestions anyone?
Thompsons65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-07-2012, 15:24   #4
ginjedi

Auto dead, semi perfect.

Hello, searched forum but couldn find anything better then was described by El Brenty.

So I have problem with my automatic gearbox, recently it started to lose its gears, but now have only 1st gear. So basicaly if you are in automatic mode you have transmission light on on panel and car is not switchnig gears.
However, there is "but". My semi-auto mode works absolutly fine. I can switch to 6th gear and doing 80-90 on motorway. So i persume there is something with controller or other sensor related thing. Any suggestions?

Car is Rover 45/2002 1.8

Thanks.
ginjedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 22:39   #5
triumph2500s

Car: Rover 600
Rover 45 Auto Gearbox Problem

I have a Rover 45 1.8 XL Auto (51 Reg) , when I am driving along in Drive, the car will briefly rev up, change down then return to normal, it's only done about 4 times in the last two months, anyone any ideas ? Thanks
triumph2500s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19-08-2013, 16:14   #6
Andrewm514

Talking Rover 45 auto issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph2500s View Post
I have a Rover 45 1.8 XL Auto (51 Reg) , when I am driving along in Drive, the car will briefly rev up, change down then return to normal, it's only done about 4 times in the last two months, anyone any ideas ? Thanks
Hi, I have the same troubles but have been informed to try these things first. Clean the speed sensor, check plugs, fuses and fuel lines before spending any money or time on this complex problem. Usually one or all of these mentioned. Finally have your gear oil checked and/ or renewed.
Andrewm514 is offline   Reply With Quote