Rover 75 - Unblocking 75 drainage channels query - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros)

Old 14-08-2006, 20:10   #1
Commodore

Car: Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE
Send a message via AIM to Commodore Send a message via MSN to Commodore Send a message via Skype™ to Commodore
Rover 75 - Unblocking 75 drainage channels query

Hi

Both of my drainage channels (the one on the right when facing the car) were blocked and were filling up with water, so after work this evening I had a go at unblocking them.

Anyway, to be on the safe side, I removed the right hand plenum and water shield to check that the drainage channel there was OK and that water had not been filling up beneath the ECU.

All seemed nice and dry, however it was bunged up with leaves. Using a flexible Peugeot 106 aerial I had a go at unblocking, which appears successful (I now have a little pile of leaf mulch on the drive below where I was poking).

However I am a little concerned as there appeared to be no drainage tube in place under the hole as mentioned in the 75&ZT owners club PDF, poking through the hole felt as though I wass hitting metal, or is the drainage tube solid?

Also, I assume the ECU was OK being lifted up out of its mounting bracket to allow access to the hole (I was careful, but still worried)?

Finally - poking through that hole (the one below the ECU), I wouldn't have been hitting anything vital below the car like the exhaust or anything would I?

I have a 2002 model 2.0 V6.

I would really appreciate it if someone in the know could put my concerns to rest. As I've only had the car for mere days I just want to make sure I couldn't/wouldn't have broken anything.

Thanks
Chris
Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-08-2006, 21:17   #2
mmcomputing

Car: Classic Rover
Lower drainage is just as you found it, poking through the channel will not cause any problem there is nothing breakable down there. ECU is meant to be lifted out to gain access so no problem there either. I have used a length of 15mm copper pipe to clear mine and it does appear to catch but needs a bit of a shove to get it through.
I'm sure you will be fine.

MM
mmcomputing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-08-2006, 22:12   #3
Commodore

Car: Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE
Send a message via AIM to Commodore Send a message via MSN to Commodore Send a message via Skype™ to Commodore
Thanks MM, that has made me feel a lot better. The fact that it was snagging and needed a bit more of a shove (though I was using a thinner rod than you) had me worried I might have knocked the drainage pipe out of place, punched a hole through it or worse, punched a hole through something more vital like the CAT.
Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-08-2006, 07:41   #4
EnEnGee

Car: Rover 75 CDT Tourer
I used a piece of broken garden cane to rod out the drain channel. With the aid of a torch, it is just possible to do it on the diesel without pulling out the ECU.
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15-08-2006, 08:15   #5
simonarius

Car: ROVER 75 Cdti
Yep...I too did mine without removing the ECU
simonarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-08-2006, 20:49   #6
nobaxon

Car: Rover 75
Question New owner smelling stale water!

Hello

I am a new owner of a 75 Con Auto 2003, and I am new to the forum.

When I enter the car and, particularly when I start the climate control - I can smell stale water as though it has got into something to do with the heater/cooler section.

Is that possible?

Is there anywhere that I can see pics of the location of the drainage tubes mentioned earlier?

Thanks for guidance from posts already read.

Geoff
nobaxon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-08-2006, 20:55   #7
morris-mg

Car: Rover 75 tourer 2.5 auto. Chromactive Spectre.
You might have a wet pollen filter. There is a how to on the 75 club website regarding unblocking the drains, I did mine today. Well worth it.
morris-mg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-08-2006, 21:11   #8
kandyman

Car: R75 connisseur SE V Reg
Hi nobaxon and welcome

Have a read here about how to unblocking the drainage channels and also when your doing this you will see the pollen filter, I would check the drainage channels ASAP just to be on the safe side as it can cost loads if the ECU gets it wet.

http://www.75andztclub.com/datasheets/tid002.pdf

If you need any help just start a new thread and someone will be along to help
kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-08-2006, 23:54   #9
jw191

Send a message via MSN to jw191
How long are the drainage tubes (approx). I discovered one of mine was blocked and think I unblocked it with an old tooth brush, but I want to check if that has gone deep enough. Water seems to drain, just for reasurance really.
jw191 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19-08-2006, 07:02   #10
simonarius

Car: ROVER 75 Cdti
Hi..
I used a plumbers pipe bender..You know the springy steel thing they insert into copper pipes before bending them to stop the pipe from kinking..
On the right hand drain tube (as you face the engine) I suppose I pushed it into the tube about 12".
But the left CPU drain tube I pushed about 18" until I felt it clear the partial blockage in the drain tube..
To be honest I think for safety a toothbrush isn't long enough for the left (CPU) drain tube. I would use something longer.
Incidentally I never have to remove the CPU to clear my drain tube..If you shine a torch there is enough room to leave the CPU in place..Especially if you use a bendy rod like I do.
Hope this helps.

Simon
simonarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19-08-2006, 08:16   #11
biggee

Car: mgzt 1.8t
Send a message via MSN to biggee
hi can any one help , Went to check my drain tube today to see if it was blocked , but it is missing , just not there , just a hole were it should be , do i need it , will it damage anything not having one in , were can i get one from what do you ask for and how much should they be , thanks for any help .
biggee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19-08-2006, 15:58   #12
conker

hi,im a new member and have just followed your advice and cleared the centre plenum drain hole using the sites instructions. thre was about an inch of water and now its dry. i had been keeping my left and right side drain plugs clear but was not aware of the central one until i read this thread. i caught it just in time. great fix. took about 15 mins. i have a rover 75cdt 02 reg. many thanks.
conker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-08-2006, 17:32   #13
Lionel

I tried to get access to the datasheet referred to by Kandyman but received the message "you are not authorised to view this page"

Any ideas?
Lionel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-08-2006, 17:37   #14
kandyman

Sorry Lionel

Have a read of this post http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=128925

Phase 1: Everyone will have access to the 'basic' pages and members of this forum can use the generic username and password given below to access the members only pages.

Username: 75ztowner
Password: longbridge

Phase 2: We will be launching a per user registration page as soon as we can, so that members can register and login with their own details, this will give you access to the members only pages as well as help us out by allowing us to plan for events, offers and other things we have in mind like merchandising etc. The generic username/password will no longer work.

Old 20-08-2006, 17:40   #15
kandyman

To access the "How To" section log in then go to members/Data/How to.

Old 20-08-2006, 17:41   #16
Ken75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel
I tried to get access to the datasheet referred to by Kandyman but received the message "you are not authorised to view this page"

Any ideas?
It works for me but try this route

http://www.75andztclub.com/index.php then go to members and login with 75ztowner as your username and longbridge as your password. Go to 'data' then 'how-to' and its at the bottom of the page

Hope that helps

Ken
Ken75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-08-2006, 17:42   #17
Ken75

You beat me to the post again kandy!

Old 20-08-2006, 19:37   #18
kandyman

Sorry Ken i did't know if you would be awake still

Old 20-08-2006, 19:51   #19
Ken75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyman
Sorry Ken i did't know if you would be awake still

Always on duty Sir, always on duty

Old 20-08-2006, 21:39   #20
raistlin295

Car: Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE
Send a message via MSN to raistlin295
I managed to get into the area of the ECU but couldn't see the centre drain tube and the ECU was not keen to move so I sort of ground to a halt, not wanting to possibly damage the ECU connectors.

Is the ECU supposed to be lifted vertically out please?

Paul
raistlin295 is offline   Reply With Quote