Rover 416 - Head gasket failure again?? - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400

Old 11-11-2006, 09:31   #1

Car: Skoda Octavia
Question Rover 416 - Head gasket failure again??

About a year ago and 16,000 miles I had my headgasket replaced with full skim and all other gaskets replaced. Car serviced about 8,000 miles ago The symptons I have now are

Coolant level has dropped abou 10mm to 15mm from max level but has not dropped any futher over the last couple of weeks

Temperture guage sometimes when in traffic goes up to halfway between min & max but usually sits at quater mark.

Occasional burning smell

Have checked oil filler cap and in coolant no sign of oil/water mixing

I'm worrried that the head gasket is starting to go again

Any advice apreciated
416 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 10:03   #2
Homer

Car: VX Astra SXi smogmaker now with extra power and smog!
burning smell? elaborate on what sort of burning smell it is?

change the coolant cap you could be a loosing some through that.

the temp gauge should sit at the half way mark when the engines up to temp, maybe just a bit below on high speed runs, not at quarter though have the thermostat checked/replaced.

defo top the coolant up though. how long since you checked the coolant?
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2006, 11:12   #3
davemate71

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
[quote=Homer;1704754]
the temp gauge should sit at the half way mark when the engines up to temp, maybe just a bit below on high speed runs, not at quarter though have the thermostat checked/replaced.

I have known my temp gauge to pluumet right to cold on long distance runs from normal running temp. on 30 mph roads. I am assuming this is nor errr "regular", then.
davemate71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2006, 11:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
burning smell? elaborate on what sort of burning smell it is?

Very had to describe, but not the type of smell of a burning clutch.

change the coolant cap you could be a loosing some through that.

This was changed before I had headgasket replaced,do they fail within 20,000 miles?

defo top the coolant up though. how long since you checked the coolant?
Checked today and now down by 15cm i.e near to the bottom, previously checked about 3 weeks ago 1,000 miles ago, will top up today

Old 11-11-2006, 11:19   #5
hoodyski

Car: Rover 600
Sounds like youve got a normal health rover to me. My 200 displayes those symptoms all the time.
hoodyski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2006, 11:23   #6
ashy

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodyski View Post
Sounds like youve got a normal health rover to me. My 200 displayes those symptoms all the time.
NO it's NOT normal!
Shouldn't be losing ANY water.
ashy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2006, 12:16   #7

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy View Post
NO it's NOT normal!
That's what am thinking that its not normal to loose water, just concerned that head gasket may of gone again and whether I'll have to ask myself the question as to whether I should get rid of the car

Old 11-11-2006, 12:33   #8
*Mike*

Car: 2005 Citroen C4 VTR+ 2.0 (138BHP)
Did you have the water pump done when the HG was replaced???

What sort of burning smell is it???
*Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2006, 13:05   #9
Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416 View Post
Checked today and now down by 15cm i.e near to the bottom, previously checked about 3 weeks ago 1,000 miles ago, will top up today
sounds like a little too much to be just a cap, as mike said did they replace the water pump at the same time?

i assume you've checked to see if theres any water in oil or oil in water aswell?

if not could be something else eg leak from hoses/radiator. i can't see the hg failing so soon (unless it wasnt done properly)

Old 11-11-2006, 13:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike200SEi View Post
Did you have the water pump done when the HG was replaced???
No but replaced 40,000 miles before headgasket discovered when cooling fan sensor was replaced

What sort of burning smell is it???

very hard to describe the smell but seems to come on when car has been worked hard
[/quote]

Old 11-11-2006, 13:22   #11
Homer

thats just hot engine smell i reckon, all cars get it wouldnt worry too much about that.

i have a feeling it could be the water pump leaking if it was replaced that long ago, from what ive seen around here water pumps should always be replaced with a hg when the hg fails!

Old 11-11-2006, 13:44   #12

How much is a new water pump and what the fitting time ?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2006, 14:11   #13
MGJohn
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; Rover 25; 620ti x4; MGZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy View Post
NO it's NOT normal!
Correct but level can and does vary with expansion and contraction.

[QUOTE=davemate71;1704871]
Quote:

I have known my temp gauge to pluumet right to cold on long distance runs from normal running temp. on 30 mph roads. I am assuming this is nor errr "regular", then.
416 .... Why does every other owner immediately think 'head gasket' whenever something appears not right. We've had some very cold overnight temperatures recently and remember coolant not only expands when hot but, contracts when very cold. If you check the coolant level regualrly over many months in both hot summers and cold winters, there will be a fair degree of level movement depending on when you check the level. Unless there is evidence of sustained coolant loss, don't worry but keep an eye on things and check for leaks. Expansion bottle cap renewal is always a good idea. The do not last forever and do progressively deteriorate being subject to both big temperature and pressure variances so wear out over time.

Temperature gauge needle sudden drops ... Not normal at all.... My K and T series cars are ALWAYS steady at a tad below half way on the gauge. If you have any big fluctuations from that once fully warmed up, a dodgy thermostat would be where my money would go on.

Only on one occasion have I know a temperature gauge to plummet on a long run. That was about 30 odd years ago driving high up on the Cotswolds in a Mini 1000 on what was one of the coldest winter days I've ever known. Driving NE straight into an artic wind I actually felt the little car slow as the NE wind gusted strongly. Glancing at the temperature gauge I saw it near 'cold' although I'd been driving half an hour. I had a sheet of thick cardboard in the boot and wedged that behind the grill which helped a bit. The rad on the Minios was located in the nearside wing area.

Never did it again but, I suspect the thermostat needed changing as the car had done 95,000 from new still on original thermostat.

EDIT @ 1522 ... I hate the winter .... Roll on March.

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......

Last edited by MGJohn; 11-11-2006 at 14:22.
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2006, 16:29   #14

[quote=MGJohn;1705067]Correct but level can and does vary with expansion and contraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemate71 View Post

416 .... Why does every other owner immediately think 'head gasket' whenever something appears not right. We've had some very cold overnight temperatures recently and remember coolant not only expands when hot but, contracts when very cold. If you check the coolant level regualrly over many months in both hot summers and cold winters, there will be a fair degree of level movement depending on when you check the level. Unless there is evidence of sustained coolant loss, don't worry but keep an eye on things and check for leaks. Expansion bottle cap renewal is always a good idea. The do not last forever and do progressively deteriorate being subject to both big temperature and pressure variances so wear out over time.

Temperature gauge needle sudden drops ... Not normal at all.... My K and T series cars are ALWAYS steady at a tad below half way on the gauge. If you have any big fluctuations from that once fully warmed up, a dodgy thermostat would be where my money would go on.

Only on one occasion have I know a temperature gauge to plummet on a long run. That was about 30 odd years ago driving high up on the Cotswolds in a Mini 1000 on what was one of the coldest winter days I've ever known. Driving NE straight into an artic wind I actually felt the little car slow as the NE wind gusted strongly. Glancing at the temperature gauge I saw it near 'cold' although I'd been driving half an hour. I had a sheet of thick cardboard in the boot and wedged that behind the grill which helped a bit. The rad on the Minios was located in the nearside wing area.

Never did it again but, I suspect the thermostat needed changing as the car had done 95,000 from new still on original thermostat.

EDIT @ 1522 ... I hate the winter .... Roll on March.
I was thinking of the worse especially as reducing water level was a sympton I notice before the headhasket failed last time.

With regards to temperture guage the needle sit at around the quarter mark then when its being in stop start traffic for sometimes it goes up to halfway but not always

Agree with comments on winter

Old 12-11-2006, 15:52   #15

Update

Have topped up coolant took about 37ml of water & coolant mix.

Guage goes to just over half than fan cuts in, at least that seems to work

Not sure if this connected but cars seems to like drinking petrol.

Old 22-11-2006, 20:37   #16

Smile

Quote:
thats just hot engine smell i reckon, all cars get it wouldnt worry too much about that.

i have a feeling it could be the water pump leaking if it was replaced that long ago, from what ive seen around here water pumps should always be replaced with a hg when the hg fails!
Took the car in this week, turns out it was the water pump leaking, now all fixed and car is well Just another 50,000 miles to save up for another waterpump

Thanks for the help