The Inevitable... Head Gasket Failure - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-12-2006, 13:07   #1
GofRes

Car: 214i 8v Bubble (Bubba G)
Send a message via Skype™ to GofRes
The Inevitable... Head Gasket Failure

I thought I'd picked up a bargin and after 2 weeks of running, its far more understandable now.

I've found the typical symptoms, mayo on the dipstick, loss of coolant with no obvious leaks/drips.

Can anyone tell me how much I'm expecting to fork out for a HG replacement and fitting? You know what sparkies are like, "oh its gonna cost you"

I'd love to do it myself but don't have the time, space, tools or money at the mo.
To make things worse, I'm gonna drive back to Wales from Essex to see the folks at Xmas. Well that WAS the plan.
It doesn't seem too bad at the mo and the car is still running smoothly (apart from a bit of kangaroo juice at low rpm), so I was wondering if a dose of k seal would do the trick until I can get the money together after xmas?
What does everyone think? Brave or stupid?

Also, if anyone is living in the Colchester area and has the facilities to do the work, I'm sure I can come to some agreement.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
GofRes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-12-2006, 13:19   #2
empsburna

Car: Other Manufacturer
sure its the head gasket? has it been standing? doing small journeys?

K seal might work - might not - not seen long term effects - as a stop gap ashy has proved it does work.
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-12-2006, 13:27   #3
GofRes

I can't be sure but the 2 symptoms I've described are fairly give away aren't they?

I checked all fluids when I bought it and no problems. Checked last weekend, no problems, checked today and no coolant, extra fries with mayo.

It tends to do a 1/2 hour drive each way to work mon-fri and not much at the weekend.

I'm on my knees praying it ain't a hgf but somehow I feel I may be spending a lot of money soon.

Old 17-12-2006, 15:56   #4
ezageza21

Car: MG ZR
I just had my head gasket replaced by a guy called jason from dudley (i live south west london). he was recommended to me on here by someone when my head gasket went on my MG. He sorts out pretty much all head gaskets for rovers/mgs with the k series engines. He is a land rover technician/engineer and seems to know his stuff and can be found advertising on e-bay. he charges around 350 if you live in birmingham/worcester area. obviously a bit more if you live further away. cost me 450 which im pleased with as local garage was going to charge me a minimum of 600 and said that could easily double.

type in 'rover head gasket' in the search bar on ebay and look for a green sign saying mobile landrover services.

ezageza21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-12-2006, 16:11   #5
ashy

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezageza21 View Post
I just had my head gasket replaced by a guy called jason from dudley (i live south west london). he was recommended to me on here by someone when my head gasket went on my MG.
That would be me!
Glad Jason sorted it for you, did he do a good job?
I should be getting commison for the amount of times I've recommended him.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mobile-Landrover-Services
ashy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-12-2006, 17:48   #6
ezageza21

Car: MG ZR
Yeah seems like a top quality job. cheers for the recomendation. its saved me a packet and stopped the greedy gits at the garage around the corner from me from trying to fleece me.
ezageza21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-12-2006, 17:54   #7
Sejin26

Car: Rover 75
Just remember your's been an 8V should get away with not having a reskim on the head. But get it checked but 9 out of 10 8V HGF just need the uprated gasket and dowles and that's it.
Sejin26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-12-2006, 21:49   #8
GofRes

Thanks for the advice guys, gonna botch it with some k seal and hope all is good until after xmas when I've got the cash.
Wish me luck getting to Wales and back!
...now where did I put that AA card?...

Old 17-12-2006, 22:44   #9
Stevo135+

Car: Other Manufacturer
If your going on a long drive for Christmas, then do the following.

1, warm engine fully, and then drain oil, and change filter. id use slightly thicker oil 15w-40 maybe, and nothing more than a cheap semi synthetic. You will probably find at least an extra litre or more of mayo/oil drains out from the sump than the oil fill capacity.

2, Take off the bottom and top radiator hoses, and flush through the rad and engine as much as possible to get rid of some of the mayo in the cooling system. re-fill with the correct coolant/anti freeze mixture, and then add the K-seal.

3, Check and monitor your coolant level daily! There is a good chance that a car that is suffering HGF can be used during the short term, provided that the coolant level is maintained. If your still using coolant, then take some with you in a container when you go on a long journey. If the rate of water consumption is very high, for example you go from max level to empty in the expansion tank every day, then the chances are it won't run for that long, as the water that your losing is likely to be entering the sump, unless it's being leaked into the cylinders instead. If the level of diluted oil in the sump gets too high, then it will be almost impossible to start the engine, and if it does run, you could blow all the oil seals etc in the short term, and the oil film will break down, and starve the bearings of lubrication and eventually cause seizure.
Stevo135+ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-12-2006, 14:36   #10
JasonEbay

Car: Audi A4
Cheers Ashy for recommendations and Eza, nice to have some feedback on the job.

Chock a block for head gaskets at the moment!

Ashy, I owe you a few pints mate
JasonEbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-12-2006, 16:24   #11
ashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonEbay View Post
Cheers Ashy for recommendations and Eza, nice to have some feedback on the job.

Chock a block for head gaskets at the moment!

Ashy, I owe you a few pints mate
No worries pal, mines a

Old 25-12-2006, 18:18   #12
GofRes

Well, the k seal got me to Wales and seems to have stopped the loss of coolant (or at least seriously slowed it down). I'm gonna try and get round to giving her an oil change before the return trip.

A gasket replacement is gonna cost me more than I paid for the car by the sound of things . But it's my first car and I've grown really attached so I'm gonna have to fork out aren't I?!

Jason... expect a call in the next month mate. I've got some work for you hehe

Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 26-12-2006, 00:47   #13
streetwise zr

Car: MGzr105 tf115 coolblue m/reg 416 bubble in need of repair
k ,seal does as much damage as a team of navy seals !!!!!!

It only reinforces damaged seals .............
seen the damage of Rad weld in k`s and this does the same.........thermal shock around the head /shift in liners ....get the gsk replaced now...
streetwise zr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26-12-2006, 00:52   #14
streetwise zr

Car: MGzr105 tf115 coolblue m/reg 416 bubble in need of repair
Cool

we ll do the headgasket for sod all - plus parts to keep a good rover on the road !!!!!!!!!!!!
streetwise zr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26-12-2006, 09:57   #15
ashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetwise zr View Post
k ,seal does as much damage as a team of navy seals !!!!!!

It only reinforces damaged seals .............
seen the damage of Rad weld in k`s and this does the same.........thermal shock around the head /shift in liners ....get the gsk replaced now...
Don't be so sensationalist....it's not radweld and isn't as bad as you say. I have seen the effects of K seal and have posted pics on this forum of a stripped down engine after it was used for a while and it does not block waterways or do any lasting damage.
Many people have had success with it and a lot of garages actually stock it and use it and so do the AA.

Last edited by ashy; 26-12-2006 at 10:04.

Old 22-01-2007, 13:10   #16
GofRes

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetwise zr View Post
we ll do the headgasket for sod all - plus parts to keep a good rover on the road !!!!!!!!!!!!
Many thanks to everyone who's posted a reply. I've recently changed job and one of the blokes I work with is a petrol head with the tools and garage. He said he'll sort it for me this weekend... phew.

I put my second bottle of k seal in about a week ago since it's started to enjoy a little tipple of antifreeze again, but this time the k seal has done diddly squat. I don't imagine it'll carry on like this for much longer!

As for the gasket kit, I understand you can fit the land rover ones? What am I looking for specifically if I ring around for some quotes? And would they come with all the gaskets/seals I need for the job?

Cheers again guys,

G

Old 07-02-2007, 13:03   #17
GofRes

A desperate plea for help!!

Hi guys, so far I've been let down by those who have offered their help and this is my last ditch attempt at getting the head gasket sorted.

My local garage says they'll do it for 350-400 which I guess aint bad... trouble is, I don't have that kind of money.

Is there anyone on here willing to do the job for(/with) me (I'm on me knees and begging here) for about 100 maybe a bit more if i can get some extra hours at work (plus a few bevvies!)? I've got the parts just waiting to be fitted but no tools and working space.

I'm living in Colchester, Essex and willing to travel a reasonable distance (this is starting to sound like a lonley hearts column!)

Failing that, the poor old credit card is gonna have to take a hit at the local garage.

Again, many thanks to anyone willing to help. I can be emailed at gofres@gmail.com

G

Old 07-02-2007, 15:08   #18
stuwey06

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
re

ive got a decent mate who would do it for that price if you already have the parts , only thing is he lives in lancashire and that might be a bit far for you?
he works in a garage and has done quite a few k series hg and his dads lotus hg, it would be bad for the car to travel that far but its up to you. get back if your interested

stu
stuwey06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2007, 10:56   #19
GofRes

Thats very kind mate but I'm thinking 4 1/2 hours drive (according to theaa.com) might be a bit far.

I'll get back back to you though if all else fails.

Cheers

Old 07-05-2010, 08:24   #20
neil_bram

Car: Currently Fiesta hopefully soon to be ZR
Smile Advice

Hi,

I just wanted some advice about the head gasket issues that have been found on the ZR i have noticed a lot of them are on a particular series of engines. does anyone know when if ever this issue was resolved?

Im interested as im hoping to join the MG club and get myself a lovely ZR hopefully the 1.8 120 facelift model. ive been in a friends and thoroughly enjoyed the ride and have promised myself that my next car will be a fun but affordable car.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
neil_bram is offline   Reply With Quote