Rover 75 1.8 - Head gasket - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-12-2006, 14:04   #1
dale_morris3

Car: Rover 75
Unhappy Rover 75 1.8 - Head gasket

OK LADS AND LASSES, IVE JUST BOUGHT INTO THE 75 MARKET AND CANT COMPLAIN AT MY Y REG 1.8 CONNISIEUR,, BUT ERE GOES IVE GOT OIL IN THE WATER,,AND READING ABOUT IT LOOKS LIKE IVE JOINED INTO SOME NIGHTMARE.. DO I DROP IT THROUGH AN AUCTION FAST,WHILST ITS STILL GOING OR AT 42K MILES AND A FULL SERVICE HISTORY, DO I GET THE CAM BELT AND GASKET DONE, AND KEEP IT, OR GET IT DONE AND SELL IT FAST, OR IS IT LIKLY THAT THE PISTON LINERS HAVE DROPPED..AND IM WASTING MY TIME, OR IS IT JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT US ROVER OWNERS SHOULD ACCEPT AND EXPECT AS PART OF THE JOURNEY..
i DONT MIND THE COST IF IT DOES THE JOB AND LASTS A COUPLE OF YEARS BUT IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN TELL IF IT IS THE LINERS AND IF NOT IS THERE ANY ADVICE I.E IMPROVED HEAD GASKETS, SPECIAL ANTIFREEZE, ETC
PLEASE ADVICE AS i WOULD LIKE TO REMAIN A ROVER OWNER, BUT ONE THAT DOESNT DRIVE WITH ONE EYE ON THE TEMP GAUGE AND ONE HAND HOLDING LUCKY HEATHER
dale_morris3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-12-2006, 14:30   #2
dee*

Car: Nissan Juke
Hi dale_morris and welcome to the forums, ive moved your thread to the most relevant area, you should recieve more helpful replies in the 'technical help' area

Thanks

Dee
dee* is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-12-2006, 15:03   #3
Ex Tester

Car: Citroen C4 Coupe 1.6HDi VTR+ & Westfield 1600SEi
Piece of wee wee to do a Head gasket on a 1.8, i did mine last week ! It will take you about 4-5 hours to do and 2 days to bleed the cooling system !!

Its a doddle, honest !
Ex Tester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-12-2006, 15:30   #4
dale_morris3

Smile piece of cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Tester View Post
Piece of wee wee to do a Head gasket on a 1.8, i did mine last week ! It will take you about 4-5 hours to do and 2 days to bleed the cooling system !!

Its a doddle, honest !
hi thanks for the reply, havent had my hands dirty for a few years now and wouldnt mind giving it a go if the weather wasnt so bleak and if it wasnt the head gasket that seems to have so many problems without an amateur getting involved.. but as i need the cam belt doing anyhow and had a quote of 300 for the lot, ill go with that,, if it will put the problem to bed.. however i have just drained and re filled the system to get rid of the sludge... whats this about bleeding the system.. is there something special bout these babys. i should know about????

Old 18-12-2006, 16:05   #5
Jim K

Car: Other Manufacturer
Careful. You will find some companies in London that will give you you a quote over the phone of peanuts. When they take your car apart they will say "sorry mate it needs a new rad, belts, etc, etc". You could end up paying a lot, lot more.

Don't get a company out of a mag. Work off a recomendation. That's my first point.

Second point, I had my 2.5L V6 done a while back and it failed 4k miles later. I think you are better getting shot of them once they fail. If it has at some point overheated badly the engine will never be right no matter how much you spend.

Get shot of it quick would be my advice. Good luck.
Jim K is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-12-2006, 16:52   #6
keith8000_0

Car: mgzt190+,mgztcdti+mgzr105,kawasaki zx6r
make sure you get whoever is going to do the job to fit a landrover freelander modified gasket, its called a multi layered steel gasket. made up of six layers. part number LLVB500190, cost about 23 plus vat.the head will benifit from a skim and pressure testing and vac testing. if the engine has overheated sometimes the valve seats become distorted so they may need recutting and regrinding, not as bad as it sounds.. i fitted new liners pistons gaskets, thermostat head welding. full job cost me just short of 500. but worth it. and when done i would not get rid of the car, if its done correctly and the mls gasket is used it will never go again. if its botched and corners are cut then you will have problems.. you must always rectify the fault that caused the failure in the first place. ie water pump failure or most likely tharmostat failure as in my case, thermostats are around a tenner, one with a small bleed hole in that constantly lets small amounts of water through even when cold, .
things ive said here are in my opinion and some may disagree, but i wouldnt spend daft money for it to be sold and someone else get the benifit of a now good engine, get it done correctly and keep it.
keith8000_0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18-12-2006, 18:01   #7
Dr Dave
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
All very good aslong as the liner heights are ok........................

Keep the car!

Old 19-12-2006, 07:15   #8
dale_morris3

Question Jim K

Cheers for feed back jim, Ive had a few quotes but it seems to depend on area, all have said about 6 hours labour but quotes have varied from 450 in posh areas to 250 in industrial areas, the guy whos doing it has worked on my cars before and can be trusted, so provided it will travel another 12 miles i`ll get him to do it, luckily enough it hasnt over heated yet just dripped a bit of oil into the water, so damage will be minimal as yet..my main concern is i drained the water out to see how much sludge was in the system, which was nothing in the end, but now im not sure if ive filled up the cooling system correctly.. ive read something about bleed taps..or is rhis just on the mg series.. please advise before i attempt the journey

Old 19-12-2006, 07:27   #9
dale_morris3

Smile keith8000_0;1760938

Keith
cheers for info, is this gasket an accepted alternative? and will my garage have heard of this being used for the 1.8 engine. im having the head skimmed regardless, as they advise me that even with no overheating they sometimes twist when taken off. Having read a bit about the 75 and spoken to a few mechanics my fears are beginning to reduce and I am now banking on keeping it, as i said to jim in my reply to him any advice on bleeding the cooling system, as im still waiting for my workshop manual to come in from e bay.. or is the cooling system just filled up as normal through the rad cap???

Old 19-12-2006, 09:04   #10
Dr Dave
Administrator

Garages
DO NOT skim the head if it doesn't need it.

Just order the parts from a Land Rover dealer, job done!

No more than about 55 all in.

Get them to check the cylinder liner stand prouds first though.

Old 19-12-2006, 09:30   #11
dale_morris3

Smile Dr Dave;1761839

[cheers dave

Have you heard of anyone using this modified freelander gasket? or is it best to stick to the direct replacement? and is there a trick to bleeding the system. I have been told if you just keep giving the engine quick revs and letting it settle, it normally does the trick, but this seems a bit, dodgy to me.
cheers dale

Old 19-12-2006, 11:48   #12
KBX10

Car: Rover 75 1.8T, Rover 214, VW Passat
Ex Tester used the MLS gasket for his 75 last week. Check his thread entitled "You know when you say something......" which can currently be found towards the bottom of page 2 on the 75 & ZT part of this forum.
KBX10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19-12-2006, 11:50   #13
Dr Dave
Administrator

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale_morris3 View Post
[cheers dave

Have you heard of anyone using this modified freelander gasket? or is it best to stick to the direct replacement? and is there a trick to bleeding the system. I have been told if you just keep giving the engine quick revs and letting it settle, it normally does the trick, but this seems a bit, dodgy to me.
cheers dale

Yes - me - I've used it.

Old 19-12-2006, 15:56   #14
keith8000_0

hi dale, yes as dr dave says dont get the head skimmed if it doesnt need it, checked thoroughly with a steel rule and for signs of gasket ring indentation .but i would have it vac tested, this procsess checks for leakage between the valves and the seats, if yours hasnt overheated you are lucky and may get away with it.fit a new thermostat, the multi steel layer gasket is a brilliant piece of work and is one that i will recommend to everyone. rubberised layers that bond to the surfaces and a steel shim thats known as the sixth layer, the part number is on my previous post.as for bleeding the system i found no problems whatsoever, i blead the traditional way and didnt use pressure bleed system. the car takes 6.2 litres of coolant mix so if filling and you get somewhere very close to that capacity you can take it that your ok, make sure heater is set to hot and bleed screw is undone till water comes out of screw, top up and rev gently,watching temp guage.

Old 19-12-2006, 16:03   #15
keith8000_0

oh and dale. obviuosly check out who is to do the job and at what price. if the garage has not heard of the mls gasket i would suggest that they could be inexperienced with the k18. i suppose what im trying to say is that maybee its not always best to go with the cheapest. but the most expierienced and whom you feel could be the most trustworthy. and if they will back up their own work via some sort of back up service. its difficult but a reccomendation ids the way to go.. there seems to be loads of great people on this forum and im sure someone close to you could reccommend someone, good luck and let us all know the outcome.
keith.

Old 20-12-2006, 14:12   #16
dale_morris3

keith

cheers for info ive got the workshop manual through now so i`ll have a read and find the bleed tap..cars booked in for 2nd jan which will give me time to get the gasket, rather supply the beast myself to be sure they use one than leave it to chance.. is it only available from landrover parts dept??
and is the thermostate with the bleed hole in a modification to the existing or just a direct replacement.... sorry to ask so many questions but i want this to be a permenant fix.. as im already attached to the car and ive only had it 2 weeks...

Old 20-12-2006, 15:30   #17
keith8000_0

hi, well the bleed screw is an 8mm bolt fitted to the coolant pipe below the throttle body, easy to get to when the air filter pipe is removed, the gasket is obtainable elswhere but some charge loads, motobuild charge around 40-50 quid.they have jumped on the bandwagon, i got mine from guy salmon of sheffield, landrover dealership, any land rover dealer should stock it, just dont pay any more than you need to, mine was 24.32 inc vat. some on this forum may have paid less. but for piece of mind 20-25 pound is a bargin.. the thermostat i got from my local motorist shop and its a stat that constantly allows small amounts of water through when the stat is closed, this supposed to allow for easier bleeding and to help the water warm up gently so that when the stat opens the block is not flooded with bang cold water,something along those lines.this maybee why mine was very easy to bleed up.

Old 21-12-2006, 07:16   #18
dale_morris3

Smile keith8000_0;1764976

Cheers for info keith
came just in time as the CD workshop manual i got on ebay wont load, so at least i know what to look for, reckon i`ll get the gasket today from landrover before its to late.. just the thermostate then.. leave that till friday, and fit it over crimbo..
Just got to wait until the big day then on 2 jan and hope that its only the head gone..
anyhow thanks for all the help have a good xmas and keep your fingers and toes crossed for me
Dale

Old 21-12-2006, 13:55   #19
keith8000_0

play around with the cd dale. mine you have to change the date on your computer to get the disc to load could yours be the same?. i change my year to 2003 and it fires up. check your pms

Old 21-12-2006, 16:58   #20
Dr Dave
Administrator

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith8000_0 View Post
hi, well the bleed screw is an 8mm bolt fitted to the coolant pipe below the throttle body, easy to get to when the air filter pipe is removed, the gasket is obtainable elswhere but some charge loads, motobuild charge around 40-50 quid.they have jumped on the bandwagon, i got mine from guy salmon of sheffield, landrover dealership, any land rover dealer should stock it, just dont pay any more than you need to, mine was 24.32 inc vat. some on this forum may have paid less. but for piece of mind 20-25 pound is a bargin.. the thermostat i got from my local motorist shop and its a stat that constantly allows small amounts of water through when the stat is closed, this supposed to allow for easier bleeding and to help the water warm up gently so that when the stat opens the block is not flooded with bang cold water,something along those lines.this maybee why mine was very easy to bleed up.
Plus you really should fit the lower rail - and check the cylinder liner heights.....