Removing cup holder/ cigar lighter etc. - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZT / Rover 75 (Sponsored by Rimmer Bros)

Old 23-01-2007, 18:30   #1
Gandalf

Car: MG ZT+ CDTi (135) Remapped
Removing cup holder/ cigar lighter etc.

Hi,

I am picking a walnut ( vaneer) dash up tomorow for my ZT (better than the grey). Gotta take it off the other car first though. I have a couple of questions i need to pick your brains with.

1) Does the cup holder fascia plate pull off or do i need to remove the whole cup holder itself. The drivers side is just a pull of blanking plate like mine.

2) is it easier to remove the whole ashtray , ciggy lighter, cupholders in the one unit ( i think its all in one anyway) or is it easier to tale the bits off. I dont really need the actual holder or ciggy lighter as i alreday have them. Just want the walnut look.

Thanx Guys

Gandalf
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-01-2007, 18:37   #2
Alex30013k

Car: Rover 75
Send a message via MSN to Alex30013k
Undo Aircon face, 4x screws.
Undo all wires to any toys that the car has, like heated seats etc

Then put your had down both sides of the Ash tray but and you will feel one clip on both sides, push these in, then pull the whole thing towards you,

The wire to the lighter socket will be tight, but you could just get away with cutting the wires, as its very hard to get off first time,

Done....

Last edited by Alex30013k; 23-01-2007 at 20:24.
Alex30013k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23-01-2007, 18:51   #3
Gandalf

Thanx for the prompt reply Alex30013k,

Excuse me being a bit of a thiko but...Does this remove the whole lot together or just the ashtray. There are a couple of typo errors on your reply but i think i have to remove the face off AC panel, remove screws then put my hands down the sides of the ashtray to release clips. Are these clips left or right bud, and do i just open the ashtray then put my hands in?

Gandalf

Old 23-01-2007, 20:28   #4
Alex30013k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Thanx for the prompt reply Alex30013k,

Excuse me being a bit of a thiko but...Does this remove the whole lot together or just the ashtray. There are a couple of typo errors on your reply but i think i have to remove the face off AC panel, remove screws then put my hands down the sides of the ashtray to release clips. Are these clips left or right bud, and do i just open the ashtray then put my hands in?

Gandalf
Sorry about that, i really should read what i write,

Any way its comes out one big unit, when i say ash tray i mean the whole thing,

The clips i am talking about clip around the main part the centre console, so you push them in to the middle to release it

Left hand clip push right, and right hand clip push left?

Old 23-01-2007, 20:57   #5
austin.tovey

Car: MG ZT CDTi 135+
Talking

Thanks, I was going to post this question at the weekend.

Cheers!!
austin.tovey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-01-2007, 19:51   #6
Gandalf

Thanx again alex.

The bloke at the yard took everything out for me anyway. Only problem is that the passenger cup holder isnt running smoothly in and out. I read somewhere here that you can pull the front plate off them anyway. He said it does not matter what colour your cupholder front plate is as you can swap it with your own. Is this true bud. I have had a look and they dont look like they pull off?. If they do i can keep my own smoothe cup holder and just change the front plate. What do you reckon?

Gandalf

Old 24-01-2007, 19:58   #7
Alex30013k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Thanx again alex.

The bloke at the yard took everything out for me anyway. Only problem is that the passenger cup holder isnt running smoothly in and out. I read somewhere here that you can pull the front plate off them anyway. He said it does not matter what colour your cupholder front plate is as you can swap it with your own. Is this true bud. I have had a look and they dont look like they pull off?. If they do i can keep my own smoothe cup holder and just change the front plate. What do you reckon?

Gandalf
Yes and Yes,

Just pull hard from the top of the bit of wood trim