Crank Sensor Fault?? - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400

Old 28-01-2007, 18:42   #1
ibbotsnm

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
Crank Sensor Fault??

Can anyone help please!
My 414 suddenly refused to start one morning. No previous symptoms.
Appears to have a good spark, petrol and I have fitted new distributor , rotor arm and 4 new plugs.

As I understand it the Crank Sensor enables the EMS to synchronise the generation of the spark with the position of the Crank Shaft by sensing the pattern and number of teeth on the Crank Wheel.
If the sensor is broken or o/c does the EMS default to a condition that still results in a spark being generated, albeit out of sync or is there no spark at all?

Is it likely that although I have a good spark at the plugs is it occurring at the wrong time due to no Crank Sensor?
I would appreciate some expert advise.
ibbotsnm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-01-2007, 20:06   #2
ashy

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
Wouldn't be any spark at all if it was kaput.
Red light on dash going out when starting?
ashy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-01-2007, 20:21   #3
ibbotsnm

Faulty Crank Sensor? 414

Thanks Ashy

That puts my mind at rest regarding the sensor.
Maybe the problem is with the Cam /Timing. I will now check that the belt is tensioned and the cams aligned.

Re the red light on dash - Can't say. the car hasn't started since it developed the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy View Post
Wouldn't be any spark at all if it was kaput.
Red light on dash going out when starting?

Old 28-01-2007, 20:32   #4
ashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbotsnm View Post
Thanks Ashy

That puts my mind at rest regarding the sensor.
Maybe the problem is with the Cam /Timing. I will now check that the belt is tensioned and the cams aligned.

Re the red light on dash - Can't say. the car hasn't started since it developed the problem.
Sorry should have said, does red light go out before car is started?

Old 28-01-2007, 21:08   #5
ibbotsnm

Red light on when ignition switch turned stays on during engine turnover

I assume you mean that one - I can't recall any other lights

Old 29-01-2007, 20:08   #6
ashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbotsnm View Post
Red light on when ignition switch turned stays on during engine turnover

I assume you mean that one - I can't recall any other lights
No, there is a red LED on your dash were the speedo is. This is for the alarm/immobiliser. If it remains lit you are still immobilised. The car usually beeps if this is the case. Maybe the 400's don't have this light, but I would have thought they do.

Old 31-01-2007, 22:29   #7
sheddist

Car: MG ZS
I think (someone will correct if wrong) that the cranks ensor came in witht he distributorless ignition. If not, then it is well wort taking it out and giving it a clean. Magnetic crud can stick to it and stop it functioning. Also check the cam sensor. As you have a spark it is unlikly to be the problem though.
sheddist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28-05-2007, 22:38   #8
ibbotsnm

414 starting problems

Late Jan. early Feb of 2007 I had trouble starting my 414.
after checking out the fuel , ignition systems, Timing etc I was on the verge of pulling my hair out at which point I decided to just park it up and wait for the better weather. Yesterday I took another look at the problem and when the engine turned over but failed to start, I noticed that the alternator was not turning even though the belt was. This was puting a heavy load on to the engine which in turn meant that the starter motor was labouring. The leads from the battery to the motor were both getting very warm and the power drain from the battery meant that the spark was not sufficient to start the engine. I slackend of the alternator so that the belt slipped easily over it and BINGO, the car burst into life. I would not have imagined that a siezed Alternator would have prevented starting. Whilst picking up a replacement from the local breakers, I learned that it was a common problem with that particular alternator, that the bearings sieze solidly. Hope my experience is of some help to others with a similar starting problem.

Old 29-05-2007, 08:48   #9
Rov420i

Crank sensor: - I had an issue with this (there's a thread somewhere) Mine was caused by debris in the bell-housing!

The replacement was only about 33 quid or something so might be worth whippin it out an takin a look. Mine was buckled off to one side cos it'd been hit by the debris and this had caused the incorrect signal to be sent to the MEMS unit.

Oddly, it only showed itself when the engine was warm, after about 20mins or so, then started chugging, lost all throttle response, then eventually conked out...

Hope this helps
Rov420i is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26-04-2010, 20:11   #10
kempy1985

Car: MG ZR
mgzr carank sensor

ive got a 51 plate 1.8 120bhp mgzr it wont spark or no fuel as pump wont prime the inhertia switch works fine.could it be the crank shaft sensor if not wot other options wud cause both to fail thanks
kempy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote