My rover immobiliser wont turn off - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 02:20   #1
natedog

Car: 214 sei
My rover immobiliser wont turn off

hi, the battery went dead on my rover 214 sei i got my brother to change the battery and now the immobiliser wont turn off.I have been told u need the code for the door. Which i have not got as nothing came with the car. I rang rover and they said they cant get the code and so if i take it to them they will charge me 250.00 quid to sort it out. Its not really worth paying that for it.Can anyone help? give me a code? Is there any other way then scrapping my beloved car?
natedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 02:31   #2
< KEVIN >

Car: Rover Coupe Turbo
Send a message via MSN to < KEVIN >
how long has it been like it?

try re-sync by pressing the lock button 5 times quickly and see if the light on the dash flashes quickly.

the worst case is to get a ECU, 5as unit(immobliser) and fob from a breakers.
< KEVIN > is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 06:35   #3
carnumpty

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
Quote:
try re-sync by pressing the lock button 5 times quickly and see if the light on the dash flashes quickly.
Before trying the above the car must be unlocked with the key first, if the car locks the fob should be re-syncronised
carnumpty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 17:28   #4
Nix

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Hi all!
Never knew this site existed 'til I had a problem with my 1998 214Si and did a search. Great site from what I've seen so far.
Similar to natedog in that I replaced a dying battery yesterday with new and now the car is totally defunct. Definition of defunct? Open the car and it does some weird morse code buzzing with the alarm led flashing followed by a short buzz burst (one second approx). All this loops for approx 20 secs or so and then it stops with the alarm led full on but no noise. When key is inserted for attempted start, only the battery light and oil light come on but that is it. Nothing else will come on, not even interior light, radio, side lights, etc - NOTHING! Oddly enough, when this weird noise happens, if I do try and turn something electrical on, it stops...
I do have my emergency manual code and it has no affect.
I have tried synchronizing the fob but no affect.
The fob (after repeated attempts - never a one off in the 1st place) does stop the flashing alarm led from outside the car. But, same scenario - when I try to start the car only the oil and battery lights come on and nothing else happens.
I really am praying that this is just a glitch that can be sorted with someone in the know 'cos I positively can't sink money into the car at the moment.
Anyone else had one of those periods where everything seems to go wrong?
Aaaaarrrrrgh!
Any help would be appreciated here.
Thanks.

NB - central locking not working either way (have to use key to get into car etc)...

Last edited by Nix; 12-03-2007 at 17:49. Reason: additional info
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 19:49   #5
empsburna

Car: Other Manufacturer
sounds like your replacement car battery is dead or needs a charge.
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 19:57   #6
Nix

It's a good 'un

Quote:
Originally Posted by empsburna View Post
sounds like your replacement car battery is dead or needs a charge.
Battery is definitely ok - have tested it with my 12V ACT tester. I always give any new battery a few hours trickle charge before wacking it on!

Old 12-03-2007, 19:59   #7
empsburna

then you have something going on electrical. all earths ok?

any funny electrical happenings with the boot? central locking?

Old 12-03-2007, 20:06   #8
Nix

Hmm, funny you should mention the boot.

Few months back, the rear wipe stopped working. Found and rectified where the cable cut itself near the hinges.

Nothing happens with central locking at all. Not even a blip. Have to lock the car with key but key won't lock the boot...

Don't forget that all was working well before I simply changed the battery. Battery connections all ok - again, I always tend to clean contacts when fitting new components.

Old 12-03-2007, 20:27   #9
gazza487

Car: 45 Diesel saloon
This sounds mad but I had a funky issue with my 416, I was playing with the dash - ripping wires out left right and centre to fix my radio

Lord knows what happened but the car refused to lock, youd press the fob, it'd lock and then the locks would spring back open - ALL of them

Simply removing the battery (the car battery that is) for a few minutes, reconnecting - solved
gazza487 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 20:43   #10
aufo8mycow

Car: Rover 200 Coupe
Had the same problem as Gazza after HGF (Everything was damp mind)

Disconnected the battery for 20 mins.. went and got a cuppa. Came back. Locked door with Key... pressed the lock button on the fob 5 times and the unlock once and it unlocked and immobilizer disengaged.

What I also did was to get a replacement battery for the key fob (2 quid) and did it all together.. have done it a few times since for other work but it was doing the same as yours.. Having this buzzing sound on the dash..flashing led. and a strange buzzing sound!!

Worked in the end though.. get a new fob battery... disconnect main bat for 20 mins.. lock door manually... press lock (Right button) 5 times.. then once on the unlock (Left)

Let us know how you get on.

Sean
aufo8mycow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 22:15   #11
Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufo8mycow View Post
Worked in the end though.. get a new fob battery... disconnect main bat for 20 mins.. lock door manually... press lock (Right button) 5 times.. then once on the unlock (Left)

Sean
Will try it tomorrow and let you know...tried more or less what you suggested but not with a new fob battery plus I started with the car unlocked...

Many thanks!

Old 12-03-2007, 22:58   #12
aufo8mycow

Ahh the key fob reprog won't work unless you lock the car first. (Tried it)

Just be methodical.. take your time and will keep everything crossed for you

Sean

Old 13-03-2007, 13:38   #13
Nix

Unhappy No Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufo8mycow View Post
Sean
get a new fob battery... disconnect main bat for 20 mins..reconnect main battery... lock door manually... press lock (Right button) 5 times.. then once on the unlock (Left)

Nope. A definite no go. Tried several times.

Funny thing is that the car does respond to the fob both ways but only when arming (with odd buzzing sound) or , I assume, when it tries to alarm. Again, and I think this is important, the central locking has never locked/unlocked since battery swop. Old battery now produces same result as new battery.

Nothing electrical works, not even hazards - towed the car down to in-laws to give me space to start stripping, er, the car!

Old 13-03-2007, 13:41   #14
aufo8mycow

I remember seeing a thread a while ago about the wire on the other side of the lock had come away so as the system thought the door was open it would never arm.. might be worth a look if you are stripping it down.

Sorry it didn't work buddy. Anyone else have any other ideas as to what it could be?

Sean

Old 13-03-2007, 14:15   #15
Nix

No probs - worth a try, aye?

Can I take it that if one of the locks were not to operate properly (either way), there is a sensor/feedback to the ecu to tell it so? If that is the case would the symptons be the same as mine, ie you can get into the car and immobilise it with the fob but absolutely nothing else is workable?

Old 13-03-2007, 15:05   #16
empsburna

i still think there is something going on with the boot loom.

Old 24-03-2007, 15:42   #17
Nix

I'm back!

After a 10 day period with flu, I've finally had a chance to dive into the car and try and track the problem I was having after changing the battery.

Found it after 5 mins - would you believe that the main body earth strap had snapped right where it connected to the bolt? Couldn't be seen but was evident when I started to trace the earths. The car was obviously getting some earthing via the starter earth hence the couple of dash lights coming on etc.

This a common problem?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:35   #18
WAC123

Unhappy

nix

I have to replace my battery on my 216 coupe (recently bought) tomorrow ,after reading this thread I am actually terrified
and am now on my 3rd JD on the rocks it is a battery problem ,
battery was tested and showing signs of crying enough by the guy
who sold me car he told me this ...I am an idiot and expect a total disaster tomorrow ,the fob key i have is working, hopefully everything will reset but
I doubt it stay tuned anything can and probably will happen in the next
18 hours .Im only changed a battery ffs
WAC123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:48   #19
MG-ROVER-CODES
01379 669375

Car: Vauxhall ASTRA GTC VXR
immobiliser

Hi

if you require the EKA code to over ride the immobiliser we can get this via the chassis number.

Old 09-11-2010, 17:45   #20
pgiltinane2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog View Post
hi, the battery went dead on my rover 214 sei i got my brother to change the battery and now the immobiliser wont turn off.I have been told u need the code for the door. Which i have not got as nothing came with the car. I rang rover and they said they cant get the code and so if i take it to them they will charge me 250.00 quid to sort it out. Its not really worth paying that for it.Can anyone help? give me a code? Is there any other way then scrapping my beloved car?

I am having exactly the same problem with my Rover 216 si, it has just started, and i havent changed or disconnected my battery for over 6 months, i am wondering if it is the cold weather.
Apart from that, the key fob i got with the car when i bought it isnt in great shapeeither. does antbody know if you can get fobs from local key cutters, or do i have to go therough rover dealers?
One more thing, I find that if i am patient enough, the immobiliser turns itself back off after so many attempts, and i can start the car again.
pgiltinane2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message