Immobiliser/key fob problems - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MG ZR / Rover 25, 200 & Streetwise

Old 14-07-2007, 21:26   #1
kmcd

Car: 216 Convertible SE
Immobiliser/key fob problems

Hi, I am a new member and have just bought a second hand 1996 216 Convertible SE and really need some help.

The car was running great, last Friday I parked it in the garage. On Saturday I went to use the car, nothing happened, the battery was totally flat. I took the battery out to get it charged and saw a wire that was connected to the battery and nothing else. It transpired that the wire had been connected to a sound system and when the sound system had been taken out the wire was left connected to the battery. I called an auto mechanic who removed the wire and found a fuse had blown, which was replaced, but the car still wouldn.t start. Also the battery had gone totally flat again. I have had it recharged again and the key fob wont work. I have tried the EKA code which also wont work. My only option seems to be to get it towed to a garage to reset the diagnostics, but I am concerned that if it happens again, I will be back to square one or??? will they check the code for me to make sure it is the right one. PPPPPPPPPPPPlease HHHHHHHHHHHelp thanks

Also, I have read that I could obtain an Avon bypass which would get rid of the problem, does anyone know where I can get one from, are they totally reliable and how much do they cost? thanks again

Last edited by kmcd; 14-07-2007 at 21:31. Reason: forgot to mention something else
kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-07-2007, 22:26   #2
Dave

Car: MGZSTD - 150+bhp
Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Skype™ to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
Hi, I am a new member and have just bought a second hand 1996 216 Convertible SE and really need some help.

The car was running great, last Friday I parked it in the garage. On Saturday I went to use the car, nothing happened, the battery was totally flat. I took the battery out to get it charged and saw a wire that was connected to the battery and nothing else. It transpired that the wire had been connected to a sound system and when the sound system had been taken out the wire was left connected to the battery. I called an auto mechanic who removed the wire and found a fuse had blown, which was replaced, but the car still wouldn.t start. Also the battery had gone totally flat again. I have had it recharged again and the key fob wont work. I have tried the EKA code which also wont work. My only option seems to be to get it towed to a garage to reset the diagnostics, but I am concerned that if it happens again, I will be back to square one or??? will they check the code for me to make sure it is the right one. PPPPPPPPPPPPlease HHHHHHHHHHHelp thanks

Also, I have read that I could obtain an Avon bypass which would get rid of the problem, does anyone know where I can get one from, are they totally reliable and how much do they cost? thanks again
Get the keyfob, and press the lock button 5 times or so.
This should re-synch the fob to the immobilizer.

Cheers
Skelo
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 14-07-2007, 22:42   #3
Sejin26

Car: Rover 75
This is very uncommon on a wedge, even though it uses the 5AS on the later cars like yours. There is no way to buypass it. There is two ways around it, both involve using Avon kit. My suggestion to you would be try what Skelo says but I fear you have another problem and it wont do anything.

I would get it booked into a dealer and get them to run the diagnostic on it. If they do that you can get the 4 digit EKA code which obviously is wrong otherwise the immobliser would have shut off till the battery ran flat again or you use the fob. While your there get another fob programmed in so you have a spear. Then your problems should be sorted.
Sejin26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 14-07-2007, 23:02   #4
lates

Car: 190 in Firefrost
Send a message via MSN to lates
AFAIK the Avon bypass kit will still need to be matched into the sytsem.You have two issues but I would be looking into the flat battery ones prior to sourcing a new fob.
lates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 14-07-2007, 23:59   #5
kmcd

cheers skelco but i have tried that and it doesnt work, thanks

Old 15-07-2007, 00:02   #6
kmcd

hi thanx very much r u sure that if i get the diagnostics checked that they will confirm my EKA number thanks

By the way I forgot to mention that my drivers door has a problem in that the button does not press down when locking the door, could this be a reason why the code wont work

Last edited by kmcd; 15-07-2007 at 00:10. Reason: forgot to mention something

Old 15-07-2007, 00:16   #7
kmcd

not sure what u mean and u please explaine, thanks

Old 15-07-2007, 12:00   #8
ashy

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
Try adding one digit to the second and fouth digit. So 1234 would become 1335.
Mine was like this, the EKA wouldn't work. Had the car read by an auto electrician and the code was wrong. Many can program fobs in to.
ashy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 15-07-2007, 16:23   #9
kmcd

someone else has mentioned this but my 4th digit is a 9, what would you suggest, thanks

Old 15-07-2007, 16:28   #10
empsburna

Car: Other Manufacturer
when my door motor was U/S and I tried to use the EKA it didn't work.
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message