Alpine Sub woofer fitting - How to - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > MGF and MGTF (Sponsored by MGFnTFBITZ)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-07-2007, 20:26   #1
CJJ
Supporter

Car: MGTF 160, TF LE500, Nissan Leaf, KTM 640, Kangoo Van, Freelander
Alpine Sub woofer fitting - How to

Well, there are several places you can mount this sub, behind the passenger seat or maybe even in the passenger footwell, but both mean that you will lose either some travel on the seat or some leg room.

So, I decided to mount mine behind the armrest. This means that I lose a small storage space, but to be honest, I never really used it as it was insecure and things tended to fall out when you opened it.

The first thing I did was make a template for any trimming that I needed to do.

Sub 01.jpg

The main reason for this was I was going to fit the sub below the drivers seat. It was a close fit with the sub on the carpet, so I thought if I made a cut out for it to sit in then it would just fit. But it didn't

Sub 02.jpg

Be very carful before you get busy with the Stanley knife, as you can see here, there is often cables lurking behind carpet and soundproofing. Check before you hack.

Sub 03.jpg

As this didn't work, I replaced the carpet cutout and sought a new hiding place for the sub. After a while of placing it here and there I decided to try and fit it behind the arm rest.

I removed the T-bar cover and rear part of the cubby and I cut out enough of the carpet and soundproofing to give a bit more clearance.

Sub 04.jpg

I then placed the sub in position and closed the arm rest to see if it was feasable. It wasn't a perfect fit but was close enough that I knew a bit of trimming would sort it.

Sub 05.jpg

Sub 06.jpg

I then fitted some Dynamat, as a tribute to Lucky. Actually, it was just to replace the soundproofing that I had cut out. I didn't want to hear the engine above the sub.

Sub 08.jpg

I then secured the sub into it's final resting place with some heavy duty velcro sheets.

Sub 09.jpg

And then offered the plastic housing of the cubby box up so that I could mark it and trim it to shape. I trimmed a chunk of each side and trimmed out the main storage part of the box. The smaller storage space has remained. The photo was taken before I cleaned it up with a file. I also trimmed a small amount off the back of the centre tunnel. Just behind where the arm rest screws on.

Sub 10.jpg

The cubby box was then screwed back in place over the sub. The wires were fed down the drivers side of the tunnel and connected to the head unit. Here you can see the blue/white remote cable (switches the sub on when the head unit is switched on) and the phono connections.

Sub 11.jpg

Last edited by CJJ; 30-07-2007 at 20:39.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-07-2007, 20:38   #2
CJJ
Supporter

It looks a little untidy, but that is the nature of wiring. We will tidy that later. You could always just stuff it into the cubby box and close it.
The black earth cable was attached to a chassis bolt under the dash. Any good chassis point will do.

Sub 12.jpg

The yellow power cable was fed along the tunnel, over to the passenger side, up behind the glove compartment and out through an unused gromet.

Sub 13.jpg

The cable was then attached directly to the battery possitive. If you do this, always fit a fuse as close to the battery as possible to protect against fire.

Sub 14.jpg

And now we tidy the wiring using cable ties and sticky back cable tie mountings.

Sub 15.jpg

Replace the cubby box and ash tray and all looks normal. Sorted.

As I said, this is where I decided to fit it but it is personal taste.

Old 30-07-2007, 20:41   #3
Chris T

Car: MG TF 135 Platinum Silver, Skoda Roomster
Garages
Superb write up as ever

Old 30-07-2007, 20:45   #4
CJJ
Supporter

We aim to please.

Old 30-07-2007, 20:46   #5
Fast Jan
Supporter

Car: TF160 + Freelander
CJJ that is absolutely fan-bleedin-tastic
Fast Jan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-07-2007, 20:51   #6
CJJ
Supporter

Cheers.

Forgot to mention that I had to cut a litle out of the cup holders to give clearance for the arm rest to close properly. You can see it in the second from last pic.

Old 30-07-2007, 21:09   #7
My-Old-Flame

Car: MGF vvc / ZR TD se
Does it not make the cubby vibrate a bit at volume ?

It's certainly a good idea , funny enough i was looking at there very unit today, i just ordered a new alpine head and thought that sub might work well.

I'll be interested to hear your honest thoughts after a week or so's use..

Stu
My-Old-Flame is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30-07-2007, 21:17   #8
CJJ
Supporter

No rattling at all, and, as my wife will tell you, I tend to play music load when on the move. We sat in the car on the drive, with the engine off, and playing fairly loud and it didn't vibrate at all. The complete sound in my car is now superb. I am not saying it is up there with 5k professional installs, or even a spotty yoofs tricked up corsa, before anybody starts the "mine is better than yours" or "Amps is the way to go", but I think it sounds brilliant. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a sub and doesn't want to lose there boot or leg room.

Old 30-07-2007, 21:21   #9
My-Old-Flame

Car: MGF vvc / ZR TD se
I've got to change the t bar to a mk2 as i have no rears at the mo anyway but i like that idea... nice one, that cubby is bloomin u/s anyway..

Trouble is i also got to cut wholes in the t new t bar for the roll hoops and then there the harnesses.... a winter project i think
Good photos as well ... nice one

Stu
My-Old-Flame is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-07-2007, 08:06   #10
Yigit

Car: MGF
Very nice work there CJJ, it is a creative idea to put the sub there, i am surprised that it does not rattle but a very good job. Your post is rich as usual with the photos
Yigit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-07-2007, 09:43   #11
wildmurphy

Car: MGF 2000MY VVC!
Send a message via MSN to wildmurphy
have some rep mate, i think i may follow your lead with this, get the sub closer to my heed!!

Nice one!
wildmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31-07-2007, 20:17   #12
CJJ
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yigit View Post
Very nice work there CJJ, it is a creative idea to put the sub there, i am surprised that it does not rattle but a very good job. Your post is rich as usual with the photos
I must admit that I thought vibration might be a problem, but it isn't. Must be the superb MG build quality.

Old 29-12-2007, 17:48   #13
X-P0WER

Car: MG TF
Send a message via MSN to X-P0WER
lol @ cjj and mg build quality. I love my mgs but the build quality has something about it. Charachter i think. :-)

Anyway, great write up. Glad someones done it. Coz i jus bought one of them subs. In my zs180 mk2 i had 2 12 inch fusion subs, both powered by 1000 watt amps by inphase. Nice nice nice. But that was a big car. Lot of air to move.

I think il be putting my subs behind the seats. 1 behind each seat will do i think. Not on the floor, but standing up, if you like behind the bottom of the seat.

I like the idea of putting it where you put it, but whats the 2 brass screws holding together? Looks a bit unsightly. And i love the interior in your car. The grey velour seats are the best. :-)

Also, if anyone else is reading this and fancies putting a slim sub in their F or TF, Heres a few suggestions. I spent ages looking for these! But having a tf means very little space to put a sub.

Pioneer TS-WX11A *TSWX11A

Pioneer TS-WX22A *TSWX22A

Kenwood KSC-WA62RC

Kenwood ksc-8w1

Alpine SWD-1600

Blaupunkt THb 200A

Clarion SRV303

Last edited by X-P0WER; 29-12-2007 at 17:58.
X-P0WER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-12-2007, 18:33   #14
CJJ
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-P0WER View Post
lol @ cjj and mg build quality. I love my mgs but the build quality has something about it. Charachter i think. :-)

I think il be putting my subs behind the seats. 1 behind each seat will do i think. Not on the floor, but standing up, if you like behind the bottom of the seat.

I like the idea of putting it where you put it, but whats the 2 brass screws holding together? Looks a bit unsightly. And i love the interior in your car. The grey velour seats are the best. :-)
Ah, character, that's the word I was looking for.

Putting the subs behind the seats is popular, but you do lose some seat adjustment and legroom, something I wasn't prepared to do.

How very dare you criticise my custom made highly polished wood screws. . These are actually nothing to do with the sub install. I did this before, as I was sick of the stupid plastic fixings on the T-bar breaking, and the squeaking of the cover while driving. So I snapped all the plastic fixings off and screwed the git in place. I need to do it a bit more professionaly when summer comes around.

Old 29-12-2007, 18:56   #15
Red_Devil

Car: MGTF 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
Putting the subs behind the seats is popular, but you do lose some seat adjustment and legroom, something I wasn't prepared to do
I thought this too until recentely. If you stand it on its end I dont think you lose any legroom whatsoever.
Red_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29-12-2007, 19:29   #16
X-P0WER

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
I thought this too until recentely. If you stand it on its end I dont think you lose any legroom whatsoever.
Yes this is true. I practiced by placing an object behind me seat, of the same dimensions as one of these subs, (i used a my 3 year old cousin mike) haha. And i had no problem with leg room. However, he did. Lol

Old 23-10-2008, 18:00   #17
X-P0WER

bump. Just going through all my old posts and noticed i hadnt updated this thread. If anyone does read this then heres where i put my sub.

Behind the seats. Ive not lost any leg room (im 6 foot) and my seats never been right up against the wall!

It sounds good. By the way, i put a sheet of 2mm ply behind the carpet to screw the subs into. :-)

Old 23-10-2008, 18:13   #18
CJJ
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-P0WER View Post
By the way, i put a sheet of 2mm ply behind the carpet to screw the subs into. :-)
Chicken

Old 24-10-2008, 03:38   #19
X-P0WER

Well i didn wana go screwin through my firewall now did i. ;-)

Old 24-10-2008, 15:31   #20
darrelbmad

Car: MG TF 160 Trophy Blue
What speakers do you have on your rear T-bar? mine are 5 x 7's did you modify your T bar to fit them in?
darrelbmad is offline   Reply With Quote